Release Founders - 2017 KBS

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Below is a the label for the 2017 release of Founders KBS. Interestingly, the label shows a new "Barrel Aged Series" logo in the upper left hand corner and also shows it as being a 750ml bottle tnext year. Let's hope this isn't a new format change and they will release the 12oz labels soon as well. No word on ABV for the 2017 release yet.

[​IMG]

2. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (173) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I'd be okay with a 750mL release as long as the pricing wasn't absurd and it came alongside the 12oz release.

Spoild, BWood, chrismattlin and 3 others like this.
  3. SteveD082791

SteveD082791 Disciple (380) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

From one of their reps their limited stuff in 2017 is coming in both bombers and 12oz bottles

Spoild, thatche2, denver10 and 14 others like this.
  4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

My guess is they are moving to this format for their newly formed "Barrel Aged Series" and it will only be released in 750ml bottles with an MSRP of $18-20. I'd much rather have a 4pk for $20, like in prior years.

Spoild, CJNAPS, DaverCS and 8 others like this.
  5. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (392) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

As tasty as this beer is, I'll take a BBB any day. KBS is a touch too thin for the style for me, not to mention trying to actually get it. Maybe I don't whalezbroah hard enough :rolling_eyes:

Benish, JRGVII, AZBeerDude72 and 5 others like this.
  6. beerhan

beerhan Defender (612) Apr 28, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

This seems pretty unnecessary. I don't want to drink a 750 of KBS, I enjoy that I can crack a 12 ounce whenever I feel like it and enjoy it over the course of a night. As long as they still come in 12 ounce bottles with this just being a one time thing I don't mind

7. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (319) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I too hope it comes in 12 oz as well. But at that point i would argue why the bomber needs to exist at all. Like all the enjoy by beers offered in both formats. Sorry, the 12 oz is superior in cost, and ability to enjoy by yourself. Want to share it, open 2.

the dual format will make it more difficult to get too, as some places might only get one or the other and i would imagine places would get lower quantities of bombers.

hardy008, JBogan, mikeinportc and 3 others like this.
  8. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Champion (889) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Starting in 2017 they are beginning their new "Barrel-Aged Series", which this is a part of, and for each release in the new series they will be available in BOTH 750ml and 12oz 4-packs.

Surprised the 2017 label is already out since it's an April release haha.

AlcahueteJ and mikejosephson like this.
  9. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (165) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Agreed with everyone else, hope this still comes out 12 oz bottles, taking down 750ml is a bit much for a sitting. And you want to have this one over a period of time, so individual bottles are better suited for that purpose.

Lucular likes this.
  10. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (260) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

A. Per Founders, all they're barrel aged releases next year will be in 750's AND 4-packs of 12- oz bottles.

B. Considering most stores allocate this at 1-2 bottles per customer anyway, this might mean the average customer is actually able to get more KBS next year than in year's past.

11. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Backwoods Bastard in 750 mL bottles! :grimacing:

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (624) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Still don't understand why high abv come in large bottles. Much rather have a 12oz and dare I say an 8oz of big BBA beers. I don't always have a want for a lot and not always a person to share with. Same goes for sours. Large format is a no go for me as a large bottle is too much and most folks I know don't like sour.

Keep the 12oz/16oz

Enjoy

flaskman, ceeg, thatche2 and 11 others like this.
  13. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Devotee (410) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

That's actually what I'm bummed about. I thought we'd 7 new Barrel-Aged beers in this series.

Now it seems as if we'll have KBS, Curmudgeon, and Backwoods as part of that group. Maybe BA Redankulous.

So really, this isn't as spectacular as I thought it'd be....

rodlavers and Gemini6 like this.
  14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,489) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Part of the appeal of a 12oz is it makes verticals incredibly easy, it also makes it easy enjoy one solo in a single sitting. While I'm eagerly anticipating the 2017 KBS, I can't say I'll spend much time hunting it if it only comes in a large format. Bottles are already limited, making multi-year verticals tough. I can only imagine with a larger format it will be even tougher to get a vertical going.

BWood and Gemini6 like this.
  15. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I know right!
    Curmudgeon isn't barrel-aged btw. It's "oak-aged". Just like Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti.

Gemini6 likes this.
  16. beerhan

Beer Trader

See I am not so sure about how difficult it will be to find. There was so much KBS this year-a few shops near me each got about 10 cases a month ago and it keeps popping up on draft and lasting for days. They are making a lot, granted it does not last as long as backwoods but it definitely remained longer than a day with the exception of the day 1 scramble to get bottles at a few spots

17. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (157) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'll chime in here and echo the sentiment against the 750ml bombers. I've recently made a conscious decision to buy even less of them. I find them to be too much of a commitment for high ABV beer. Yes, they're great for sharing, but so are two 12oz beers.

flaskman, oldn00b and archiebunkerjr like this.
  18. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

huh, I had no idea. I guess I just assumed those beers were aged in oak barrels. In which case could still be in the "barrel-series".

Though I suppose there is a difference between aged in oak versus aged with oak. So you're saying Curmudgeon is not aged in oak barrels it is aged with oak chips or something?

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  19. Jmorey

Beer Trader

We are one hour from the brewery. If you don't get KBS tickets and get it from them, you have whatever day the different bottle shops get it, and then it is gone. Prominent shops selling out in an hour or so.

20. beerhan

Beer Trader

That's crazy, I would have thought Michigan receives a lot more or there are just a lot of Founders fans. Is there usually just one wave or multiples?

21. Jmorey

Beer Trader

usually that is it.

you'd think it would be easier to get, but nope. That is Michigan in a nutshell.

Gemini6 likes this.
  22. Teakbucki62

Teakbucki62 Initiate (134) May 18, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Keep this between us, but 750s of CBS will be making an appearance in 2017 as well.

23. oldn00b

oldn00b Savant (900) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I'm big in the category of "why put this in bombers?". I vastly prefer 12 oz to bombers too. I've moved a bit from my old line of thought where I'd buy a bomber over a 6 pack to try something new. But since I can grab most 6 packs broken down into singles anywhere these days, I generally pass on a bomber entirely unless it's something I love only available that way.

DLang713 likes this.
  24. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Nice shelf space grab. I' see it with breweries that have both cans, and bottles, and various set amounts of each. It's like they learned from the Macro breweries.

I will say, it is also a cash grab. But one the consumers have created. I couldn't tell you the amount of times I have seen people go for the "cheaper" bomber over a nice pricey 4 or 6 pack of beer. The $9.99/bomber vs. $16.99/sixer of Xocoveza is a prime example of that.

They are also going the way of GI. $25/ 48 ozs of 12 oz bottles is not ideal for consumers who would rather spend half that for much less than HALF of the ounces. $0.52an ounce is not good enough. They would rather spend $0.71 an ounce, and get less. It's like the Costco bulk buying effect but in total reverse order.

Not every place has this "problem". But here it sat at around $20/4 pack. Fringe consumers may feel more at home dropping $13 than $20, with no thought of $/oz.. Just overall price. It's a perceived cheaper overall item, but you are technically paying about 10 cents more per ounce.

I guess if you can offer both, do it. But I don't like it.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  25. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,394) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Fully agree. At 750ml (25.3oz) and presuming the same 12.4% ABV as last year, one bomber will be the equivalent of 6.2 "normal" 12oz 4.2% ABV beers. That's a lot in a sitting!

26. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (323) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

There's still the same amount of it, no matter what formats they put it in. If places got a case, and did 1/pp and got (12) 750s, 12 people would get one. if they did (1) 4pk, 6 people would get "1." Places doing (1) 12oz pp don't fit into my model :wink:

Also it's KBS, who cares :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

27. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

I want 4 packs of that too, damn it.

Teakbucki62 and killerjetski like this.
  28. KBS

KBS Disciple (319) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Both sizes doesn't make much sense. Any chance they keep 12oz close to home and distro bombers this year on the Barrel Series? I would doubt it, just trying to think logically why both would make sense.

29. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (705) Oct 1, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I want 4 4-packs, damn it!

30. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Aspirant (238) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I welcome a 750 mL release. It will be perfect for sharing, and it likely means that there will be more in supply.

I've been lucky as far as being in a market that has an ample supply of KBS, but I think this is only a good thing for areas that are held to bottle limits of 1-2 bottles.

Also, as a side, that cherry bourbon/maple barrel aged beer that they're releasing in 12/750s sounds awesome. I'm more excited for that than KBS next year.

chitowntink likes this.
  31. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (677) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Everyone should let the bigger bottle size sit so they never do it again you'd think they would learn from some of the other releases that are still sitting on shelves as we speak

32. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,451) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Much prefer these in 12oz bottles, 750 ml is just too much. Hell when it's released here it's usually by the bottle, getting a 4 pk is almost impossible. Less bottles would make it much worse.

jakecattleco and westlaunboy like this.
  33. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (200) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'll buy as much of it as I can get my hands on. It was a fight for me to get 4 bottles. 2 of the "Ohio" blend and 2 of the regular.

I prefer the 12 oz bottles, but if I can only get bombers that is fine.

34. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Aspirant (263) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I don't like to use the argument that 12oz size is preferred cause 750ml would be too much to drink since there are many other big bourbon barrel aged beers available in bombers or 750ml sizes and no one seems to complain about that however I just wish to see Founders come out with other variants of KBS. In this competitive day and age where many big hyped beer is available in many other variants, different barrels, adjuncts, flavors, etc I would love to see the same with KBS and not just change in bottle size.

#34 Superflyjsc, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  35. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Wait..Even if you feel it is slightly overrated, or way overrated, a $20/4 pack pack of IS is rarely overrated in any facet on a price basis alone.

That statement is absurd.

I've had too many $10-$20 bombers that were way below par. So much so that I would never consider KBS overrated.

Now unless you have bottle limits and are paying $9/bottle, I just dont see how it can be ever seen as an overrated product

DLang713, beerhan and Junior like this.
  36. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (173) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I've never seen it without bottle limits. I had to go to five shops last year to get nine bottles... and those are just the ones that had it. I'll settle for a bottle or two this year. Not worth it to me to try that hard for a beer that is good, but not that good.

37. RangerBuddy

RangerBuddy Initiate (127) Feb 16, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

As long as the price per ounce is on par (it won't be), I think the change will be great!

38. Inquisition

Inquisition Initiate (144) Jun 5, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Those are probably due to the perceived quality of the releases and not the bottle size.

39. fishmich

fishmich Devotee (417) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ive heard this as well. Wouldnt shock me to see it in 12oz also.

40. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (157) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan

I heard every Michigan resident will have the 1% chance to buy 4pk's of Bombers......

Or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.