Founders Art Prize 2016 - Pale Joe (Pale Ale w/ Coffee)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by HeislerGold, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeislerGold

HeislerGold Initiate (131) Oct 19, 2013 Michigan

A pale ale at 5.4% ABV made with Ethiopian Coffee. I imagine this will see a limited distribution like past Art Prize beers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BasterdInABasket and StoutElk_92 like this.
  2. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (232) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I tip my cap to Founders in that they select interesting beers for their ArtPrize series while keeping an affordable price for a sixer. I presume the SRP on this is $9.99 as it's been in the past?

Gemini6 likes this.
  3. HeislerGold

I'd imagine so. Once Founders puts out the press release for this beer, we'll know for sure.

4. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (66) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Jezuz, does Founders ever take a break? This is getting ridiculous, but in a good way!

PatrickCT likes this.
  5. Jstonerock24

Jstonerock24 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Ohio

Should be good! They really know their coffee beers!

Daveshek28 and MIbeer27 like this.
  6. Barrel_Aged_Bulldog

Barrel_Aged_Bulldog Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2015 Wisconsin

This has been making the rounds in kegs for a while and I definitely recommend it.

djtothemoney and Harrison8 like this.
  7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

More coffee!! Founder's is up there in terms of getting me into craft beer. My first college party where I was drinking I was consuming Breakfast Stout. They just keep things churning along. I love it. Hopefully it hits shelves around here. Sumatra Mountain was delightful.

8. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,852) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yeah if this is even half as good as the SMB I'll be very content with the offering. I like the label artwork too. Hopefully I see it around here.

9. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (103) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Love how many beers Founders has coming out! Also love the fact that their offerings change year to year. Nice to see Azacca, Mosaic Promise, Sumatra Brown, and Redankulous make the list this year. If this beer turns out to be a winner, then there is chance we will see it make next years list.....keep it coming!!!

MIbeer27 likes this.
  10. chumpy

chumpy Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2012 New Jersey

When will we know the release date and where it will be available?

11. HeislerGold

ArtPrize beers are released in September with a limited distribution. Last year, bottle shipments were available in Michigan, Wisconsin, greater New York City and greater Chicago. Draft was available in all states where Founders distributes.

12. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aspirant (227) Feb 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ArtPrize beers are generally MI only distro.

13. HeislerGold

The only Michigan-only ArtPrize beer was the first one. After 2013's black IPA, each subsequent beer has been distributed outside the state of Michigan.

Nedster10 likes this.
  14. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (773) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Dayman Jr.?

15. Morakaton

Morakaton Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Michigan

Pale Joe was amazing at the brewpub during KBS week, and I had it at Tilted Kilt at enjoyed it immensely too. I hope they bring inspired Artist at some point too, I loved that beer. I'm willing to bet they'll shy away from black IPA's for awhile though since black rye and dark penance were proven shelf turds unfortunately.

16. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Another beer from Founders with coffee is worth a try.

VABA likes this.
  17. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (559) Nov 5, 2013 Virginia
    Society

Those expecting something as good as Sumatra Mountain Brown will be quite disappointed. However, the coffee notes in this beer are still pretty nice and perhaps they've dialed in the formula a bit since I tried it at their tap room in September.

Barrel_Aged_Bulldog likes this.
  18. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,636) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'd like to try this and hope I can find it. I'll try anything that Founders brews.

19. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

I couldn't be less interested in this particular release but it's nice to see Bell's and Founders going tit for tat on new releases. That's just good for everyone

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  20. HeislerGold

Looks like another September release with limited distribution.

StoutElk_92 and ohiobeer29 like this.
  21. thuey

thuey Defender (624) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

But Project PAM is the best beer they've made :slight_frown:

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  22. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (649) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

Yes it was hope they put it in 4 packs next time

23. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Wow limited release, glad Boston made the cut. I'll be searching for this. Coffee pale ale? Thank you

VABA likes this.
  24. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Had one last night, actually pretty good, no bitterness. If you like Odd Side Sensual Bean, this is similar but better and without any yeasty off flavors.

25. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

If coffee pale ales are your thing, you'll like it.

Personally I don't find the blend of coffee and hops to be too good.

Stone Mocha IPA was about as good as I've had a coffee + hop beverage.

26. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I'm not sure comparing this to Sumatra Mountain Brown is fair.

Bean Flicker (I'm assuming that was your meaning, @AnchorDrops) is a more fair comparison since, to me, a blonde and a pale ale have a closer familial relationship than a brown and a pale, but I will say this: I find Bean Flicker and Pale Joe to be pretty different. Bean Flicker comes across to me like the more cocoa-like, softer side of coffee, whereas Pale Joe has that more pungent element that you get with fresh coffee grounds and what not.

Still, for my money, both Bean Flicker and Pale Joe are trailing behind Thrash Punk for Best Light-Colored Coffee Beer Produced in Michigan. Distant fourth place goes to Dark Horse CoffPA.

Pale Joe smelled great, but the taste was bland-ish by comparison. Still quite tasty and I'll enjoy every single bottle in the sixer I bought.

Bean Flicker, as noted, lacks that pungency that is one of the things I love about coffee. Yes, the softer, cocoa-like flavor is great and I usually have a 12-pack of cans on hand, I still prefer the stronger smell/taste. Pale Joe blows it away in aroma, but it's a narrower gap with taste.

Thrash Punk, has that great pungent coffee smell like Pale Joe, but it carries through with the taste as well.

27. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Yeah, I meant Bean Flicker (Sensual Bean is an entirely different beer from Pike 51 that blows most MI beers out of the water). I haven't had OSA Bean Flicker in well over a year but just remember it wasn't as "clean" a beer as Pale Joe, in that it had some mild off flavors.

28. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Sensual Bean is indeed fantastic. I think I slightly prefer Vanilla Night Fury, but Sensual Bean is a cut above--even above some of the big barrel-aged vanilla heavy hitters.

I will agree that Bean Flicker is a little more estery than Pale Joe, which does detract from the "cleanness" to some degree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.