Founders Backwoods Bastard

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by A2HB, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvsabbath

wvsabbath Poo-Bah (1,837) Apr 29, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Paid almost 70$ for a case. Now I have 2011, '12 and '13 bottles sitting in fridge ready for a vertical but haven't been able to meet up with friends yet due to holiday work schedules cause im not going to drink 3 bottles by myself at one sitting.

2. stevegoz

stevegoz Disciple (305) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Last year one place I frequent charged 8 bucks each -- and I actually bought two.

This year they stopped consuming huge amounts of crack rocks, and I was able to get two 4 packs for $11.99 each.

ZachKelly likes this.
  3. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

4. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

I got a case from from Founders for $72 out the door. It lasted 7-10 days in bottles but is still on tap.

5. TheOriginal

TheOriginal Initiate (109) Feb 6, 2011 North Carolina

Fantastic beer! I first started drinking craft beer round bout 2006. Within the past 2-3 years Backwoods is one of those beers that no longer sits around. I always remember this beer and Founders Harvest Ale being available for weeks at my local #1 spot several years in the past, among other beers that I can't remember off hand.

I have probably spent a small fortune over the past 7-8 years purchasing and drinking a variety of beers, and I always remember this one being an all-time favorite. It is unfortunate I can no longer seem to get any, but I still remember it being a great beer so drink it will you can!

6. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,627) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Totally agree. (And with that avatar, who's going to question things?)

JISurfer likes this.
  7. stevegoz

stevegoz Disciple (305) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Does anyone have any sort of guesstimate as to how much BB Founders produces annually compared to KBS?

8. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Hunterdon hasn't released it yet. Probably the week after Thanksgiving it should hit shelves, if not the week after that.

If what NJ's Founders distributor is correct, it's about 1.5x more BW than KBS. We get 80 or so cases of KBS and maybe 120 BW.

JT99125 likes this.
  9. Gr1mmy77

Gr1mmy77 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 South Carolina

It's pathetic how some places and states gouge the shit out of you for the same beer... No way in gods green earth should I be paying 7$ more per 4pack than you guys up there!!! I can understand a few bucks for the shipping distance, but not that much!

10. ohiobrew

ohiobrew Initiate (156) Apr 27, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

I paid $18.99 for a 4pk this year. Seemed high, but I really wanted to try it since I hadn't tried it before.

11. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

The flavor profile is insane once warm. I drank one at cellar temp and one at room temp and both were amazing

12. JJStout83

JJStout83 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Virginia

Caught it on nitro at The Birch in Norfolk, VA. Amazing brew!

ZachKelly likes this.
  13. JonB25

JonB25 Devotee (443) Jun 2, 2013 Delaware
    Trader

I paid $12.99 yesterday in Williamsport PA Wegmans, they had 2 cases.

14. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

Here's hoping there will be some left when I hit VT late next month.

15. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Illinois

For those of you who stated "I picked up my case"- holy shit- life must be good for you........

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  16. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (407) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

It's not that expensive.

decadance and beerhan like this.
  17. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (502) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It came and went very quickly in my neck of the woods. Only saw it in stores once which was the day I picked up my four pack.

18. DeltaFoxtrot

DeltaFoxtrot Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Florida

19. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Illinois

Not what I meant- to be able to get a case is great!

steebo777 likes this.
  20. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan

Take a drive up to MI and grab a case from the brewery, should be around for a couple more weeks or so.

steebo777 likes this.
  21. Diotima

Diotima Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Wisconsin

Where? Otto's?

22. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

yeah, couple weeks ago

23. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2010 New York

Drinking it now and I honestly believe it to be one of the greatest beers ever made

24. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Brewing me a scotch ale tonight, while sipping on some inspiration. AKA Backwoods Bastard.

Fantastic beer. KBS be damned.

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  25. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Still seeing it around town here in MI, paying around $12/4pk

26. scotorum

scotorum Poo-Bah (2,033) May 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

My experience too, in Western Mass. Only one of over a dozen stores I've been to in the past month has claimed to have had any Backwoods, and it was all gone before I showed up. Meanwhile a buddy in NH has been telling me week after week for over a month now that there are tons of it on the shelves in his state. W T H is going on with the distribution? I can understand a distributor or a store holding back for one reason or another, but over a month?

Which brings up another small beef. You go to the Founders website, they have a nice beer finder feature. But it only includes some of their offerings, not everything, and not Backwoods. Wish they'd make us privy to where they ship ALL their stuff, not just the ones they choose to list. Then maybe I would at least know where to call to see if there is any left, without bothering the local distributor.

27. lic217

lic217 Savant (922) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

In Ct I just got it for 9.79. Maybe it was a mistake...

28. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I was actually just going to check Table and Vine and Liquors44 for the BB... I haven't noticed any there the last few times I have been out.

29. ArkyVaughan

ArkyVaughan Meyvn (1,063) Nov 1, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I haven't seen it in NJ yet, so I hopped across the border and picked up some 4-packs in NY. $10.99/4-pack.

30. solo103

solo103 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2012 Florida

Man I just opened a 2012 and it is drinking fantastic!

31. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Illinois

I had it on tap for the first time last night and HOLY. SHEESH.

32. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey

One case of this per year may not be enough

johnnybgood1999 and steebo777 like this.
  33. SteelSaw

SteelSaw Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2013 Indiana

This is one of my top beers. I managed to find it at a big party store in Michigan that is like a half hour from Founders. They said they were getting five cases a week until it is all gone. They said availability was higher this year.

I inquired about KBS, and they said it was mentioned they will be getting less this year than normal :slight_frown:. That stuff is tough to get ahold of.

34. tsauce2

tsauce2 Zealot (564) Oct 12, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

I thought this years' batch was not as sweet as previous years, which I like. This beer ages phenomenally, imo.

35. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Never said it drinks bad. A Backwood Bastard is good no matter what. But, aging it IMO, does it no real good. Those wonderful coconut/vanilla barrel notes start to run off, the beer gets slightly sweeter, and if you like it, the smoke comes out slightly better with some age.

It's fun to lay some bottles down and experiment, but if you like it fresh, it won't get any better from my experience.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  36. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

I enjoy BWB but found it's much better with some age behind it. Starting experimenting with it a couple years ago. With about a year behind it seems to be a sweet spot. Much better than fresh IMO. Drinking some from last years release, buying some this year to drink next.

ZachKelly likes this.
  37. Mbennett

Mbennett Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2011 New York

Probably my favorite beer from Founders. Had a 2012 on draft last week, however I enjoy fresh 2013 bottles much more.

38. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

Got a 4 pack at whole foods for 10.99. Wasn't even looking for it. Was getting a piece of fish to take to a friends and there was a big display

39. gkoz

gkoz Aspirant (299) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona

love this beer. dangerous at 10% though... cant hang like i used to in my younger days lol

40. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

I have seen it vary between about $10 and 12 a 4 pack. One bottle shop has it in packs for $12.50 and singles for $3.50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.