Founder's Bottle Dates?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jhb138, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhb138

jhb138 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Does anyone know if Founder's puts bottle dates on thier releases? Backwoods Bastard in particular. Thanks in advance.

2. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Yes, they are (usually) stamped on the neck. Comes off fairly easy, but still.

3. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

They now stamp it with yellow, but it still rubs off with the touch of a finger so for every 6 pack you may have only 1 legible.

4. xanok

xanok Disciple (369) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

They use a bottled on date. Unfortunately for places that overbuy Founders, I often find them scratched off.

5. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 Tajikistan
    Beer Trader

BWB are pretty easy to date.

2007 is the only year with the hillbilly playing banjo on label, and lower ABV.

2008 is only year with new label, twistoff.

2009 and 2010 have a '09' and '10' on the glass on the bottom rim of bottle (probably also a julian bottle date stamp on bottom of bottle)

2011 is same as prev two (11 glass/2011 julian date) plus it was first year that had the yellow inkjet dates on neck.

jhb138 likes this.
  6. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I just grabbed a Double Trouble in a "mix your own" 6 pack shelf and there is no apparent bottle on info. I know that this is an old thread, but does this all still hold true that they use a weak ink on their bottle knewks that is easily wiped off once a store has bottles past date?

7. xanok

xanok Disciple (369) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Seems that way.

8. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I knew up front that this may not be the current batch, but was hoping for some way to detect the batch. For instance, I like Hopslam at some aging points, but have not tested Double Trouble yet in the same way. If I end up liking it or not liking it, I would love to be able to figure out the age of what I am drinking.

9. atone315

atone315 Savant (975) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yeah, if you breath wrong on a Founder's bottle the date disappears...I keep a few permanent markers in the cellar for this very reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.