Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Founders Bottle Dates

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Frankinstiener, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Frankinstiener

Beer Trader

I went to grab some Founders Centennial IPA but saw it had no date. They had about 5 other varieties of Founders all with yellow dates printed on the necks. I remember when they used to print their dates in black and it was very hard to see against the bottle, but this isn't the case either. I bought it anyway against my better judgement. Tastes fine. The entire case on the shelf was this way? Could someone have wiped the dates off?

2. Shankopotamus

Beer Trader

Did you look at all the bottles from the 6pk? Sometimes only 1 or 2 still have the date printed on the neck...

3. Frankinstiener

Beer Trader

Yeah, and I checked a couple from the other 6 packs on the shelf. Total of 4 six packs... no dates

4. Frankinstiener

Beer Trader

Just went and grabbed a FBS from my basement to see if these could be rubbed off and they can, just takes some scratching with the fingernail. I would like to think that I would be able to tell if the hops were old though and they don't taste like it. Perhaps the case they had on the shelf didn't get dated?

5. Shankopotamus

Beer Trader

Probably multiple cases. If the printer goes down, they're not going to stop packaging. My guess is if they taste good, then there's nothing to worry about.

6. BlueRogue

Could be just a printing issue. Victory Hop Devil dates are on the label but I've seen some with no dates.

I bought a case of Founders Breakfast Stout and some of the dates were unreadable. There were just yellow specks on the bottle neck.

7. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Yep its pretty typical of Founders bottles. With FBS I try to find the latest ones because of the coffee component.. and so if I see bottles of FBS without a date on it, I won't buy it. As long as its October (I think thats the latest brewing date anyway) I'm good for FBS. Otherwise I'll find something else to buy.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe