Release Founders Breakfast Stout 6 packs

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jnorton00, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Devotee (463) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

I'll try not to rehash the other thread and this is will be the last comment I make on this subject. I don't like the price increase and believe it wastes a lot of good will the company has from customers. But, ultimately, they get to set the prices. Like Duvel pushing the prices up on Ommegang, I see it as a mistake, but the only choice I have is to either continue to buy it or not to buy it (I'm not particularly interested in this particular product, by Ommegang used to be my go-to brewery). They make their choices, I make mine. As should you. But claiming that they should not be able to do this is just plain silly. A lot of factors appear to be in play in this decision--the product was moved into a different category and different format which, in their minds, justifies the decision. There are two plausible, if unsatisfying, explanations--the price of raw ingredients went up and the product was selling below cost in the past. Bottom line--get over it. Either you buy it or not, but you can't tell Founders that they're not within their rights to do this (whether distributors or retailers can do something similar is another story--the brewer can always revoke future supplies to the outfit if they think their good will is being abused). End of story.

Now, can we get back to whining about the cost of the product that headline this thread? Will people still buy it if, like RR, it is priced at $12-14/4 in the Northeast, after coming down to $9-10/4 over the summer? I'm sure most customers are not even aware of the decision to change format and its revocation.

2. basics

basics Initiate (78) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Just going to say I don't think $12.99 is a great deal based of what I saw last year. Most were $8.99 or maybe $9.99 and then around March places that were trying to get rid of it had it for $4.99.

3. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Just curious - what's the price on them? If that happened where I just moved from, they'd still be the same as the day they arrived - $75.

Johnnyhitch likes this.
  4. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

How will it hit them where it counts if it eventually sells out? I suppose you could argue the time value of money by letting it sit for a while before it's sold but I don't see how both of those statements could be true otherwise. Are you referring to the goodwill that they'll lose? I see a point to that but it seems that they will probably do ok in that department as well considering that their distribution is expanding in spite of their high prices. I think their stuff is pretty expensive but I overpay for beer frequently (as does most everyone reading this) so it's not something that really riles me up.

5. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Aspirant (239) Jun 18, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

They're selling the 4 packs at $9.99 so a little cheaper than $75

6. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Just saying... Founders is one of the only breweries in the world that has recently DECREASED their prices per case.. just putting it out there.

steebo777 likes this.
  7. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Devotee (463) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

It depends on your definition of "only" and the time frame--I've watched prices drop on SN, Lagunitas and Troegs from last year, not to mention seasonal variations on SamA, Harpoon and a few others, plus BMC imports. With all that fluctuation of prices on cases and 12s, the prices on singles and 4/6-packs continue to rise pretty much across the board.

8. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (371) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

This already hit Georgia. Anyone have any of the new batch yet? I'm not planning on buying any till October.

9. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,468) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Quite frankly, demanding that a business continue selling a given product at a loss because of a price that "had already been established" is pretty absurd. Part of what annoyed me about the RR-specific pricing thread is that half of the commenters couldn't get past the fact that the price per unit had raised instead of looking at it from a purely, "what am I getting for what I'm paying" point of view.

Prices have always and will always continue to rise. Such is the effect that inflation and the time-value of money has on consumer goods pricing. So when I hear people object to a price increase on principle that it's more than it was previously, I can't do much but shake my head (and do a little whining of my own :wink:).

The idea that a business should have to make a choice between continuing to charge an insufficient price or completely pull the product is crazy to me. If you look at it from a different perspective, we were effectively receiving a discount on that beer--a discount that became unsustainable.

Just curious--how do you know that FBS costs less to make? I ask particularly because you explain it as being the result of sourcing adjustments. Did Founders announce something to that effect? Because I can't think of another way you'd be able to find that out.

10. PerdidoKeyBum

PerdidoKeyBum Aspirant (225) Jan 18, 2011 Georgia

Where in Georgia did you see it? Would love to get my hands on it now!

11. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Sprayberry Bottle in Marietta

12. PerdidoKeyBum

PerdidoKeyBum Aspirant (225) Jan 18, 2011 Georgia

Thank you for the information!

13. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Was it a sixer? lol

14. anth0ny

anth0ny Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2012 Michigan

[quote="Just curious--how do you know that FBS costs less to make?[/quote]
    Directly from a Founders representative.

As for the rest of your comment, I just simply disagree. There was really no point in rehashing the same discussion I already had through multiple comments with VictorWisc in this thread.

15. rlthug

rlthug Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Georgia

It also showed up at Hop City (behind Sprayberry, as usual :wink:.)

16. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (267) May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

$5.99 to me, I would still pass at $9. I hope the next backstage is better, Has been a lot of disappointment from the last 3, at least for me.

acyl likes this.
  17. Utley12

Utley12 Aspirant (257) Jun 10, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Wegmans in SE Pa has had it for a few weeks now

18. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Devotee (426) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Haven't seen the 2013 stuff yet in Charleston, SC. Cases and cases of 2012 can still be bought around town, especially at TW.

19. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

Why take Red's Rye off the shelf? They know they will still sell it, but less of it at the new price. However, they are making the biggest fans of the beer happy by not discontinuing it and will make the proper adjustments next year.
    Also, who says they need to cut the retail price of beer every time they save money while brewing? That is just asinine. They haven't raised the price in years... Maybe saving money will allow them to keep the price the same for us longer which is really similar to lowering the price since inflation is an economic trend than isn't turning around any time soon (plus deflation would be mean BAD, BAD things for us all). Their sole purpose for existing is to make money. Providing a product and finding the right price to maintain maximum profits is simply their vector for making money. I, for one, am glad when they can make the beer cheaper as long as it is at least as good as it was before. More money for the business means a better chance for us to get special and limited bottlings!!

20. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

just scored a 4 PACK in southenrn VT

bottled 8/30/13

$ 10.19 so $9.99 and 5 cent dep

TdLJg likes this.
  21. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (403) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

New batches just dropped here and its still 4 packs.

22. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (718) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Picked up a case on Wednesday ($9.99/4pk). Had one that night and it tasted fantastic!

23. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Disciple (377) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Lets try and stay on topic people. There are private messages/BM to discuss/bitch about pricing models on Reds Eye.

I snagged two 4-packs of the 2013 FBS from a Lunds Liquor store here in MN. Had one last night, it was damn good.

24. atlhilbo

atlhilbo Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 New York

I wasn't that impressed with this years FBS, the coffee beans seemed funky/overly roasted... I need to buy another 4 pack and see if it was just the batch I had.

25. TdLJg

TdLJg Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2011 Connecticut

Like to hear that. Just picked up a 4pk in NY. Two bottles for me, two for the cave.

26. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Disciple (377) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yeah i did 2 bottles for me, 4 for the cave, 2 are getting traded (i may be getting a Morning Delight)

27. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

It was the same at the brewery. They said it is super fresh and will mellow.

28. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (508) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I payed $12.81 after tax for a 4 pack today in North Jersey
    If there were never any talks of six packs coming out I would have been perfectly happy with purchasing the 4 pack for 13 bucks.
    FBS is one of my favorite beers so of course it was worth the price but it's a bummer knowing that the original plan was for it to come in 6 pack format instead this year.

29. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Disciple (332) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

I was going to comment on topic, but as it turns out, I'm not feeling this thread.

30. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (384) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Does this age well?

31. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (185) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

For the twin cities crowd: Picked up a 4 pack for $7.99 at Zipp's. It was advertised for $9.99 but rang for $7.99...I'm not complaining.

32. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (398) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I have a whole case in the cellar right now. One of the liquor stores I frequent is out and not sure if he is getting anymore.

33. basics

basics Initiate (78) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I nutted my pants when I saw '12 FBS for 5.99 as well as 8.99 Biscotti Break while visiting my GF in Montgomery. Whatcha thinkin Montgomery?

34. atlhilbo

atlhilbo Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 New York

ahh, makes sense.

35. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (544) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Got some fresh this week, 4 pack 8.50

36. ERRL710

ERRL710 Aspirant (240) May 6, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

JUST SENT MY COUSIN! he's never gotten to try it.

thanks!

37. JGLittle

JGLittle Disciple (328) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Just got a fresh 4 pack in Western MA for $10ish, not exactly sure, but it was bottled on 9/2.

38. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (7,186) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Picked up a few 4-packs in Austin, TX for $9.99. Great to finally live in a Founders distribution area.

39. GameFreac

Beer Trader

They get small shipments and sell out fast so it might be gone but Total Wine in Kennesaw had a ton of it a few weeks ago.

40. John21

John21 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Picked up a 4pk for $10.99 that was bottled on Nov13th tastes = delicious !!

MrWilliams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.