News Founders Breakfast Stout and Backwoods Bastard now Year-Round

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by eldoctorador, Dec 4, 2017.

1. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (579) Dec 12, 2014 California

CrimeDog, Gemini6, maximum12 and 11 others like this.
  2. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Initiate (135) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio

I just came here to post this haha. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I'll be glad to get a backwoods whenever I want!

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,472) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Nice! I am a fan of this in a big way.

4. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,034) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

They won't taste as good if I can get them whenever.....

5. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (447) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Awesome! Both are excellent beers worthy of year-round status. Be nice to grab Breakfast Stout whenever.

6. FonyBones

FonyBones Initiate (33) Dec 19, 2015 New York

Nice. Love me some Breakfast Stout.

Blogjackets likes this.
  7. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,369) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Oh my God! Yes! :grin:
    Breakfast Stout sells so well, it should have already been year round. It is literally the quintessential coffee stout in the U.S.
    Backwoods Bastard, perhaps a bit less essential, but this way I won't have to worry about trying to stock it all up before it sells out. It's not like an IPA that's going to be useless in a few months. I can buy it whenever.

8. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,505) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Best beer news of the year.

9. MNAle

MNAle Savant (970) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Backwoods Bastard is barrel aged... that implies a significant ramp up in their BA production capacity, doesn't it?

10. threeviews

threeviews Defender (607) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

I certainly applaud the decision. However, I just hope that Founders does not end sacrificing quality in favor of maintaining a steady flow of product into the marketplace. In the case of BB, a compromise in quality would (IMO) be them shortening time in the barrel.

Scrapss likes this.
  11. waltari

waltari Initiate (137) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Looking at the 2018 calendar, I do not see their Imperial Stout anywhere :cry:

12. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (285) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

With Breakfast Stout being year round, will there be a need for (delicious, but not quite as good) Founders Porter?

alucard6679 and Scrapss like this.
  13. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (285) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

That would stink. FIS is my favorite non-barrel aged imperial stout that comes in a 12 oz bottle.

Gemini6, jmdrpi, slander420 and 11 others like this.
  14. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (690) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Not complaining but it's an interesting decision. There will be no more hype behind these beers. Hope it works out for them.

ESHBG likes this.
  15. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts

That would make me sad. I disagree with the statement that it isn't as good. For a regular production porter, I'm not sure I can think of a better commercial example. Whereas with coffee stouts, I can think of a couple other examples that are better than FBS. Love them both, just not sure I'll be reaching for a FBS in August.

16. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,792) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Great move but it will not make a difference at my local bottle shop as 2016 bottles of both beers are sitting on shelves. I was surprised to see both beers sit so long because when Founders first hit my area they went pretty fast and then they sat.

VABA and Gemini6 like this.
  17. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (607) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

While I love that breakfast stout will be year round now, I am sincerely bummed that they are retiring FIS. I hope they release it this year still at least, so I can stock up, though I haven't seen it on shelves yet.

18. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (759) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Year-round Backwoods is awesome, as it may be the best beer Founders makes. FBS I am more indifferent on, but it's still nice to have a coffee stout of that caliber available at all times.

The apparent loss of Imperial Stout is really depressing. That beer is excellent, and though I prefer Expedition, they're really very different beers, and I enjoy them both for different reasons.

19. RJD422

RJD422 Initiate (127) Aug 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

20. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

They already released it this year, its long gone.

21. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Initiate (172) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Beer Trader

First Christmas gift of the year and it’s real and spectacular.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  22. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Aspirant (221) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I’m cautiously containing my excitement for year-round Backwoods Bastard. It’s aged for a year in bourbon barrels, and I can’t think of any other Bourbon BA beer on the market that is aged for that long and produced year-round. Really hope they don’t change anything.

23. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (328) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium Member

OK, I wanna dream; FBS in cans. In 6 packs. Or 12 packs. At around $2.50 a can.

24. KBS

KBS Disciple (354) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They bought a whole new facility just for their barrel aging program, you should see no change.

For Breakfast Stout, I like it on tap, so glad it will likely be available around GR and at Founders regularly throughout the year.

25. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,387) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Big fan of this move, love both and happy to get them when I want. I was curious why they have been around non-stop, when I hit the store they have been full stocked and I was thinking it was weird well now I know why lol.

Cheers

Brolo75 likes this.
  26. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,534) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

Backwoods is amazing, and I agree with previous posts that I hope this doesn't cause a deviation in the barrel-aging. Any less barrel and it would be much less appealing.

Brolo75 and Hoppedelic like this.
  27. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (349) Feb 13, 2015 California

nice...i prefer fresher backwoods so this is welcome news to me!

elgiacomo likes this.
  28. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (279) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Despite the various decorations, lights, and trees in my house, this post prompted me to check the calendar to assuage my fear that the date would read April 1.

Scrapss, Esch30 and Blogjackets like this.
  29. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,644) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Yes, they built a whole new facility just for barrel aging, it's supposed to be massive, and this is the primary reason why this was decided. It's also in part the reason CBS was made again at all--they wanted to make sure a large amount of people could get their hands on it this time.

croush likes this.
  30. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,421) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if it will be year round in the sense that they will release batches periodically (every couple months), but not year round in the sense of say all-day IPA that is brewed/canned probably almost constantly during the year.

Gemini6 likes this.
  31. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (306) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

So I don't have to buy a case anymore around christmas and take my time rationing it out for six months?

Both a great thing and a bad thing. Thanks Founders

On a serious note, sales did seem iffy around here. The biggest fault I could see is that the beer was already a month old when we got it in October, and the coffee is the first thing to fade. So my rationed bottles over six months never seemed to taste as good as it was when it was atleast just one month old. So if anything, I hope they can curb the older bottles and push for quicker release and bottling runs.

I remember when I was first getting into stouts and Founders was quite illusive to my area. I traveled east to NY in 2013 and remember seeing FBS on tap! Love at first sight. I have still yet to have it on draft, but Founders did arrive in my area in 2015-16. Before that, I was trading for FBS every couple of months. I also remember this beer reaching #18 on the top 250 beers list. Now 4-5 short years later, its going to be a year rounder? We are living in the glory days of craft beer. Absolutely zero complaints on my end

smutty33, FonyBones and FBarber like this.
  32. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (847) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That is bad news. The Imperial Stout is Founders best beer IMHO.

33. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (238) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Change the name to Backwoods Shelf-Turds!

34. Hinda65

Hinda65 Aspirant (207) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

No curmudgeon kinda makes me : (

35. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Disciple (322) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

Incredible that both these beers are now going to be available year round, just fantastic stuff from Founders. That said, losing FIS is a big bummer if in fact it's being retired.

36. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,056) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Sure seems like FBS has been sitting on the shelves a lot more the past couple of years, but unclear whether that's due to increased production, decreased demand, or both. I used to be a big fan of FBS, but I don't buy it anymore since there are similar beers I prefer.

On the other hand, year-round BWB is huge! Excellent beer! Next they need to come out with a year-round BA stout!

colby600 likes this.
  37. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (279) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Do we think FIS may be put into their barrel program and released in that fashion next year? Just speculation...

38. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Disciple (322) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

Now that would be insane, one can only hope.

39. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (451) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

It's a great time to be a beer drinker!

johnnybgood1999 and Blogjackets like this.
  40. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (269) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I'm very happy with this decision, since Backwoods Bastard is my favorite Founders brew.

colby600, Blogjackets and Phoodcritic like this.