Founders Brewing Co. New Year-round Beer, Dark Penance Imperial Black IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by tommyz, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., July 1, 2014 – Founders Brewing Co. announced today that it will introduce Dark Penance, an Imperial Black IPA, as a specialty release this October 2014 with availability through the end of the year. Dark Penance will be available throughout Founders’ distribution footprint both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $11.99 per 4-pack.

Dark Penance is the newest addition to the brewery’s lineup of world class IPAs, which includes Centennial IPA, Red’s Rye IPA, Double Trouble, Devil Dancer and All Day IPA, a session IPA.

“We don’t just add beers to our lineup to have something new on the shelves,” said Dave Engbers, co-founder and vice president of brand and education at Founders Brewing Co. “Our Backstage Series is for experimentation and keeping things fresh, and we still only put those out a few times a year. Dark Penance, on the other hand, went through many recipe iterations before we were willing to put it up there with the other beers that we release again and again, year after year.”

The recipe for Dark Penance took about a year to develop, time that was mostly spent perfecting the beer’s balance and hop profile. It’s the first new beer to be added to Founders’ lineup since All Day IPA, which was released in spring 2012 following three years of development.

Dark Penance starts with a heavy malt foundation of Crystal malt for sweetness and just enough Midnight Wheat to push the color to black. The bitterness is huge (100 IBUs huge), but balanced by malt sweetness and alcohol burn. The hop flavors and aromas range from citrus to floral to pine—most everything that hops can be—thanks to a delicious blend of hand-selected Chinook and Centennial hops. The Imperial Black IPA is 8.9% ABV.

“Black IPAs are becoming more common, but Imperial Black IPAs aren’t, and imperializing things is what we do,” said Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. “Plus, we thought this beer would fit in well with our specialty lineup alongside Imperial Stout, Curmudgeon Old Ale and Double Trouble.”

Dark Penance will be available as the follow up to Double Trouble in Founders’ specialty calendar, from roughly October to December, dependent on distributor shipments. It will be released in the brewery’s taproom on draft and in bottles as of October 2014.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 30 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild and the Brewers Association. For more information, visit foundersbrewing.com.

[​IMG]

#1 tommyz, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
    A2HB, Fargrow, TheBeerBro and 9 others like this.
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I hope it's at the taproom a little earlier like double trouble is. I'm hoping to be there Sep 20th or so.

3. zp6167a

zp6167a Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 District of Columbia

Sounds delicious. Will definitely look forward to drinking it!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I am SO down for this

5. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

6. mjshearer1

Also, that label is killer. Makes up for Dissenter, haha.

JDizzle and PaulyB83 like this.
  7. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Ha, where is my leak cred! No, just kidding.

But really, they accidentally left a calendar out on a table in the taproom way back in November which had this info on it. Backstage beers were just labeled BS #1, #2, etc.

Must be the same artist as FIS. Interesting that the double-headed eagle only has one head on this one.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  8. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

I will say, my leak info was obtained from Kyle... Just saying ( sorry Matt, haha)

kylelenk and mjshearer1 like this.
  9. JDizzle

JDizzle Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

Can't wait! The label is sick.

10. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,453) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Another hoppy beer from Founders??? NO WAY!!! Their line-up is already mostly hoppy beers. It'd be nice to have something different or a year-round Imperial Stout. I do love their Breakfast Stout, KBS and Imperial Stout, but who doesn't.

#10 WCKDVBZ, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    NonicPanic and Donco like this.
  11. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

The question is, will this kick Uranus' ass?

Fargrow likes this.
  12. mjshearer1

I needed to perform a Dark Penance for chugging Uranus.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  13. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Founders sucks. Screw Dark Penance and bring back Black Rye. :rolling_eyes:

But seriously, screw Dark Penance and bring back Black Rye....

jampics2 likes this.
  14. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 Illinois

Cool name & label; will definitely be buying!

15. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

The label and name are fucking sick! I don't usually like black ipas, but I will seek this out. I love Founders

MichPaul likes this.
  16. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (770) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I'm picky when it comes to Black IPAs, but I'm sure this will be on point. As a lot have said, the label is awesome! Should be a treat to find this in stores around my birthday. Oh, and 100 ibus, even better!

17. jiggidy

jiggidy Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 Michigan

Was wondering what the TBD on the Availability Calendar was going to be. Will be looking forward to this one but first I need to find some Double Trouble.

18. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

CBS blah blah blah, CBS, founders doesnt takr care of locals....
    There that is out of the way, this brew sounds great, cant wait!!

19. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

This made me chuckle:

“Black IPAs are becoming more common, but Imperial Black IPAs aren’t, and imperializing things is what we do,”

Wonder if they got the idea from us... We've had one on tap at the brewpub since 2009.

Edit: I'll try it, both because I like Founders, and to see how it stacks up to ours.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  20. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,399) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I'll take it! Founders never dissapoints.

hardy008 and creepinjeeper like this.
  21. Rav4pudge

Rav4pudge Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Founders is my favorite doubt this will disappoint

22. Jaay7

Jaay7 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 Indiana

why would people drink ipa's in the fall/winter i thought it was more of a summer time type beer

23. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aspirant (227) Feb 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Love me some founders! Can't wait to try it out!

24. Mikus

Mikus Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

A well done Black IPA is like an art form... Founders makes pure beer art... I'm on the hunt...

25. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 California

I'm ISO, if any of you have access to this out there...

26. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Dude, worst label ever. Can't even comment.

Black Rye...Like best label ever that isn't one of the breakfast stouts.

Looks like a Magic the Gathering card. The thing that irritates me is there is little to no uniformity in their packaging.

27. BucketBoy

BucketBoy Initiate (0) May 6, 2008 Pennsylvania

Wonder how this will compare to Nemesis 2010 (although that was a "black barleywine," it was intentionally very hoppy and started out much like a heavily malted black IPA). Look forward to seeing the difference!

#27 BucketBoy, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  28. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Iowa

OP can you fix the title of the thread to not say year-round? You trolled me pretty badly :slight_smile:

" specialty release this October 2014 with availability through the end of the year"

A2HB, MichPaul, tommyz and 1 other person like this.
  29. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Champion (867) Apr 6, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

YES! I loved Blakkr ( Surly cans ), which is really the only Imperial Black IPA that I've had. Black IPA's are really starting to become one of my favorite styles.

30. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

I hope this is similar to their ArtPrize Artist Inspired Black IPA from last year. Definitely my favorite black IPA.

31. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

I know it's old to say it, but this is "winning"

32. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire

any one else see freddy krueger in the face???

33. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (2,162) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I can't wait to try this beer.

34. tommyz

Good point..I just posted from Founders directly and did not think...

On this beer, glad to see people are excited...I personally dont like "black" beers, not sure what it is...But im sure it will be tasty for people who like the style...

TheBeerBro likes this.
  35. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

There is a tremendous amount of Founders love here, and it's well deserved. I love them too.
    I don't see a lot of analysis of the beer itself, however. 100 IBUs is a hell of a lot to pair up with a rich, darker malt, without risking that the flavors don't actually compliment each other, they start to war with each other. A high ABV doesn't necessarily solve the issue and can actually make it worse.
    I am not saying I don't trust Founders to do their lab work and get this right, only that black IPAs are not the easiest thing to make really, really well. When I buy it to carry at my store, it will no doubt spark quite a few conversations. This may be a hell of a feather in Founders cap.

36. tommyz

They have basically already done this with their Inspired Artist Black IPA that comes in at 7.5% ABV and 88 IBUs

MiWolfman likes this.
  37. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

Aye, they did. It was borderline, though. Dark Penance has higher IBUs, and a higher ABV. I am looking back at the Inspired Artist with hope, however.

38. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (484) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Definitely sounds like something I'll want to try in the fall

39. joehill

joehill Initiate (98) Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Trader

Anybody tried this yet? I don't see any reviews on it, just picked up a 4 pack though

rather likes this.
  40. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

No time like the present, let us know!

rather likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.