Founders Brewing Co. Reveals the New Look of Pilsner (Select States Only)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by nw2571, Apr 24, 2019.

1. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (51) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

https://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2019/introducing-pilsners-new-look/

Interesting change. Any thoughts on why?

Official Press Release

---

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., April 24, 2019 – Founders Brewing Co. has shared a refreshed label design for their American-hopped Pilsner, previously known as PC Pils. Pilsner (5.5% ABV) is the culmination of our love of American hops and appreciation of easy-drinking styles. Where traditional Pilsners typically feature European Noble hops, our version celebrates some of our favorite American varieties: Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and Crystal. Crisp and bright, with notes of citrus, this Pilsner is refreshingly untraditional.

“We’re excited to share this new look for Pilsner,” said Co-Founder and President Dave Engbers. “We wanted to update the packaging to better reflect the liquid inside and our vision of what a Pilsner can be. The sunset on the lake evokes a view that generations of Michiganders have shared. Our new label celebrates the pure pleasure of summer and the perfect time for a Pilsner made with American hops.”

Click here to view photos of Pilsner

Pilsner will be available in 15-pack cans and on draft from June through September. Its availability will be limited to Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The taproom price will be $18/15-pack. The price can vary elsewhere depending on the market. Let us know how we can support your media coverage! Please reach out to Amanda Davis for more information and samples.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 10 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. A proud sponsor of chasing the American dream, Founders launched the Chase Your What If campaign in January 2019 to inspire all beer fans to live life to its fullest. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a member of the Michigan Brewers Guild. For more information, visit foundersbrewing.com or follow Founders on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

2. riegler

riegler Initiate (86) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,768) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

No idea why, but the change up in hops are exiting. But there’s lots of ways to bugger this up if it’s overly hopped, but I’m in.

4. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (700) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

“The recipe is exactly the same as PC Pils”

Enjoy

5. riegler

riegler Initiate (86) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

It says the recipe is exactly the same as PC Pils. I don't think they changed anything but the packaging and name.

EDIT: @Giantspace beat me to it!

6. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (570) Mar 28, 2009 California

The packaging is great, and in 15 packs!

I assume the rebranding is to boost sales. Light drinkable beers like lagers and pilsners are growing in demand so why not rebrand it and make it look new and refreshing to help the beer sale during the up coming summer.

drunkenmess likes this.
  7. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (417) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Surprised it doesn't list New York as a state. I bought 15 packs of PC Pils in past and we get all the Founders. Seems like an oversight.

I think I like this one as good value when you want lighter beer with some hops

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  8. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Champion (852) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

One day Solid Gold will get a refresh and renaming - they'll call it.... ... ... Lager.

9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,682) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

This beer was never on my radar until I was in florida last year and wanted a good pils, this was all the store had so grabbed a 12 pack of it. It flew out of the cooler. Would gladly grab a 15 pack if it made it to Texas or Florida

10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,193) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Too late. Just another APA with disguised as a Pilsner.

11. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (183) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Don't fix what's not broken

12. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (58) Dec 25, 2008 New York

I'm a big fan of this beer. It's certainly not a Pilsner in any traditional sense, but I think it's very good for what it is. The name PC Pils was not very catchy and the old packaging wasn't great either. I like the rebranding and new design.

Alexmc2 likes this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,768) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve ever had PC a Pils, I took the post as they were changing the hop combo from more traditional. The hop combo they are using sounds like hops used in APA and or IPA so I was excited to see how they might be used. So it’s the same, I’ll still try it because it’s new.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,946) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

"Pilsner will be available in 15-pack cans and draft from June-September in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Indiana and New Jersey."

Does anybody know why this beer is available in only seven states?

Cheers!

Tilley4 and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  15. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,820) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Haven't tried this one yet but probably should. I've had Czech/Bohemian Pilsners with their Saaz hops. I've had German Pilsners, which typically are adapted to include the use of German grown hops. Guess it's time to try out a flavorful American version that is focused on US grown hops.

16. tolar111

tolar111 Defender (647) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society

Do they brew this beer with corn? I believe they use flaked corn in All Day and Solid Gold.

17. steveh

That's the main point; it's not new -- it's been around for 3 years using the same recipe. The only thing changing is the marketing. :confused:

18. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,584) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Seems like that along with pastry stouts, hazy ipas, and heavily flavored kettle sours everyone and their mom now has to have a random pale lager. I get this is a rebrand, but I'm kinda over the lager trend. Most aren't good enough to justify buying them instead of an import or even just a macro.

meanmutt, thesherrybomber and steveh like this.
  19. steveh

That tastes just like a random APA. :rolling_eyes::wink:

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,424) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Does it matter?

21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,682) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Jack I can verify the original PC Pils is in Texas and in Florida as I have bought it in both places over the past year. I am assuming the 15 packs are only going out to those 7 states. I would be sad if this isn't available in Florida this year as it is a pretty good low abv beach beer with a little personality, drinks crisp. And the panhandle of florida is a desert when it comes to finding crisp lagers on the shelf, or at least it was last year. This was the only pils (if you want to call it that) that I could find in cans

22. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

To some people yes it does

23. MNAle

Society

Why?

24. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Ask them. Maybe they have an allergy.

25. MNAle

Society

You answered, but don''t know why?

26. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Don't know why what? Why certain ingredients matter to some people? I know there are people who care; I don't know every one of their reasons.

27. MNAle

Society

What, exactly, did you think I was asking? Your answer amounts to "I want to post, but I have nothing to say."

28. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Well, you're wrong

29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,946) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

So you are thinking this beer will have a wider distribution but only the 7 states listed will obtain the 15-packs?

If this is the case it seems like a strange marketing strategy?

Cheers!

Tilley4 likes this.
  30. MNAle

Society

Welcome to my ignore list.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  31. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (215) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Probably just test marketing the new packaging & name. These states give them a large variety of markets to see if sales increase enough to make it worth going nationwide.

stevepat and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. tolar111

Society

Yes, all grains matter.

33. tolar111

Society

Congrats to the @thesherrybomber

34. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Why congrats? I miss the snark

35. tolar111

Society

For being added added to the troll's ignore list.
    I asked a legit question and you gave legit responses.

36. MNAle

Society

Still no reason why. "Troll"... such lazy name-calling.

37. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (222) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

At the Craft Brewers Conference this past month, there was a retailer panel from Kroger speaking about 15-packs as a whole. Evidently, Kroger has not seen success with 15-packs from any vendor (with the exception of one notable brand) and will be discontinuing all but that one in the vast majority of stores. Kroger sells a MASSIVE amount of beer and has the ability to change a supplier's portfolio with a decision like that. I don't have any insider knowledge about Founders or their business practices, but the announcement by Kroger was surprising to me, and I could see that changing some brewers choice to move forward with that package type.

PapaGoose03, JMN44, DonicBoom and 5 others like this.
  38. tolar111

Society

Seriously, stop trolling me. You have nothing to add to the adult conversation.

39. MNAle

Society

Saying senseless crap doesn't make it true.

40. tolar111

Society

Do you even know what this thread is about? You've posted three times as much as any other member, yet you have contributed nothing to the content of the thread.

I would like to know if the grain bill of this beer contains corn and all you have done is attack me and the other decent contributing members.

RobHB and HorseheadsHophead like this.