Release Founders Brewing Co. to Release Dankwood and Backwoods Bastard

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,102) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., April 3, 2018 – Founders Brewing Co. announced today that they will release Backwoods Bastard and Dankwood as the second and third installments of theBarrel-Aged Series. The first release of the series, Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), is available now through April.

“Backwoods Bastard and Dankwood show the spectrum of our barrel-aged program,” says Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. “We started experimenting with barrel-aging over a decade ago and keep adding more to keep up with demand. Backwoods Bastard has earned its rightful spot as the only year-round in the line-up, while Dankwood is an example of the extreme creative demands we place on ourselves to keep this all going. Where many stick only with one or two styles of beer, we always pursue experimentation and give into our curiosity.”

Backwoods Bastard was created in 2005 following Founders’ first trials to age Dirty Bastard, a Scotch ale, in bourbon barrels. After more than a decade of perfecting barrel-aged beers like KBS, Backwoods Bastard has also earned a devoted fan base, and will be the first of the Barrel-Aged Series beers to be available on a year-round basis. There are no other plans to support additional year-round releases.

Dankwood is Founders’ imperial red IPA, reDANKulous, aged in oak bourbon barrels, with notes of rich caramel that highlight the strong malt character and all the complexity that comes from bourbon barrels. A dank, sticky and slightly sweet sipper, Dankwood is the perfect alchemy of wood and hops.

Both releases reflect Founders’ ability to work with a full range of beers from imperial IPA to Scotch ale in barrels, treating each style uniquely. The Barrel-Aged Series currently boasts more than 20,000 filled barrels that are stored in former mines below the streets of Grand Rapids and in an offsite storage facility, the Barrel House, with more than two square-acres of refrigerated space.

Dankwood follows Founders first Barrel-Aged Series release KBS and will be available from April through June 2018 in all markets as well in the Founders Brewing Co. taprooms in Grand Rapids and Detroit on draft and in 750mL bottles and 4-packs of 12oz bottles. Backwoods Bastard will be available year-round in 4-packs of 12oz bottles and on draft as of April 2018. Both Backwoods Bastard and Dankwood will have suggested retail prices of $14.99/4-pack of 12-oz. bottles and Dankwood will have an SRP of $11.99/750mL bottle.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 10 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild. For more information, visit foundersbrewing.com or follow Founders on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

About the Barrel-Aged Series
    Crafting legendary barrel-aged beers is an exercise in patience. We start by brewing complex, world-class beer worthy of time in a barrel. Then, our experience and years spent mastering our craft means we know exactly when it’s been aged to perfection. After one sip, you’ll know – it was worth the wait.

2. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,315) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Dankwood has my attention.

3. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (284) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I was not impressed with doom at all. I love redankulous fresh, I hope they didn't ruin a bunch of it by throwing it in barrels. I will try it with an open mind, because founders has earned that IMO.

4. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,163) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

Not sure why they would pump out Backwoods as a year round brew. I'm perfectly fine to have a couple per year and get as a seasonal. One of my favorites.

IMO, Founders should put out a mixed 6er "big beer" sampler, of Breakfast stout, KBS, Curmudgeon, Backwoods, Dirty (fill in #6..Dankwood?) every November for like $20-$25 or so. Everyone could be set for the cold winter with just 1-2 sixers and/or you could cellar some if you wanted to stock up and enjoy with some age on them.

5. msscott1973

msscott1973 Disciple (395) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Still waiting patiently for my Dankwood. Where art thou?

6. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,106) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium

I picked it up today, along with Backwoods. The latter was available a week ago, today was the first time I saw Dankwood in my neck of the nape.

GreenBayBA and msscott1973 like this.
  7. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (763) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Do you want to be the one who has to deal with the repackaging nightmare? Because I don't. That ain't ever happening. :grin:

8. HopNationUSA

HopNationUSA Initiate (28) Aug 14, 2017 Pennsylvania

Just had the Dank Wood. It's nothing short of a punch in the mouth. It's basically everything coming at you at once with the hoppiness, bourbon flavors, malt flavors, and definitely a little bit hot from the booziness. I didn't dislike it, but I'd have to be in the right mindset to drink more than one at a time.
    [​IMG]

ichorNet, Lahey and BayAreaJoe like this.
  9. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (423) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Backwoods showed up in NE Ohio this morning.

10. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (186) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

They need to stop wasting barrels on all these (D)IPAs! The majority of people don't seem to enjoy them.

11. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (313) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Dankwoods description reminds me of a barrel aged double bastard from Stone. Anybody out there has had both that can compare?

12. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (284) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Dankwood was ok as ba ipas go I guess, but I'd much rather have a second batch of normal redankulous.

BenHoppy likes this.
  13. MetroWineAndSpirits

MetroWineAndSpirits Initiate (32) Mar 3, 2018 District of Columbia

Thoroughly enjoyed Dankwood, possible even more than Doom

Hoppedelic, Blutz and essessbe like this.
  14. MetroWineAndSpirits

MetroWineAndSpirits Initiate (32) Mar 3, 2018 District of Columbia

Basically the mindset to have a hangover in the morning, haha.

Cheers!

HopNationUSA likes this.
  15. tzieser

tzieser Savant (942) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

A rare moment in history: I’m agreeing with something DISKORD said :grin:
    I’m pretty surprised they put this in four packs. I saw 22oz bombers of it but I passed. However if I were to purchase it that would be the format I’d prefer.

16. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (546) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

I thought that Dankwood was way too generous with the caramel malt. I’d say that it wasn’t heavy on the barrel either, but a recent whiskey diversion has made BA beers seem a little less whiskey dominant. So if you aren’t much of a whiskey drinker, I could see it tasting a bit more strongly of the sauce.

Lahey and BenHoppy like this.
  17. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,315) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Wish the abv was lower but dug everything else about this one.

18. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Devotee (465) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I really wish they didn't make this and continued making Doom & Redankulous. @BigJim5021 I agree Dankwood is low on barrel character and not heavy on whiskey and it seems bourbon barrel beers lately are driven to those who aren't whiskey drinkers. The whiskey flavor is the best part and Dankwood lacks it. The hoppy goodness in it would've been much better not going into barrel, hence it's be Redankulous.

Lahey and BigJim5021 like this.
  19. msscott1973

msscott1973 Disciple (395) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Finally got some of the dankness and thoroughly enjoying.

20. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Initiate (194) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Trader

A flavor bomb for sure, but the balance was lacking, hoping a bit of time will bring everything together a bit more.

ESHBG and raynmoon like this.
  21. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (210) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this so I picked up a single. Good, but barrel aged hoppy beers just don't work as well as some others IMO.

I would rather have a DKML.

BenHoppy likes this.
  22. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (229) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Agree with the above comments that Dankwood is very malty and lacking in barrel character. It ends up reminding me of the early days of DIPAs, when they were hoppy malt-bombs. I did enjoy the beer somewhat for what it is, but it seems like it’s hard these days to find a BB aged beer that actually brings the bourbon.

BenHoppy likes this.
  23. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,252) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Glad I read these posts, my guy up the way has this in today but maybe I am getting a single, sounds ok but nothing to run to get.
    Cheers

24. BenHoppy

All you need is Doom, no barrel aged DIPA will beat that.

25. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (229) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

I found out there's actually some that's still sitting around at a store near me. It's refrigerated, but Doom came out awhile back, right? Think this will still be good?

26. AngEo

AngEo Disciple (342) Oct 31, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Can we give the wood treatment to something other than an IPA? Dankwood was great honestly but Founders is a great brewery with resources to do amazing things and the barrel aged IPA craze seems a bit forced to me.

Brb gonna go buy a 4 pack.

27. BenHoppy

There's slight possibility it could still be good. Only was able to score 1 bottle and it was amazing fresh with what I thought to be the perfect balance of citrusy piney hops and bourbon. When I drank it I remember wanting a 2nd bottle to age as I thought it could very much benefit with age. Even though most IPAs should never age there are exceptions such as DFH 90 min and 120. If I ever saw bottles of Doom I'd definitely buy at least a bottle as it may be quite delicious. So I say pick it up and report back. Cheers!

28. ichorNet

ichorNet Champion (842) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

I bought a four-pack of Dankwood last week, had one last weekend with friends. It's definitely boozy and felt like it might need 3-4 months to integrate completely, in my opinion. It was tasty, but pretty tannic and whiskey/barrel-forward. I want to know what they did to get the original reDANKulous from 9.5% to the 12.2% that Dankwood clocks in at, though.

29. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (628) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Bit off subject but Im not a fan of BBA IPA.

Any recommendations on a good oak aged IPA, Not BBA I really enjoyed Rumble from Great Divide but have not seen it in a long time. Wood was there but not overpowering. The IPA was good as well. Like to find something available in Philly. Any thoughts?

Enjoy

30. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (51) May 2, 2015 Virginia

Might be off your price point but DFH Burton Baton should foot the bill. I just picked up a fresh can of Rumble in my neck of the woods and will be checking that out soon. FWIW I had an aged bottle of Doom a few months ago and it was drain pour worthy; absolute garbage aged, I will not personally be aging Dankwood based on that experience

31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,042) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Founders should of used all this oak to just barrel age FIS/FBS(imperial stout/breakfast stout) and throw that hot sauce around all year instead of doing what they are doing now with year round backwoods and rotating barrel aged IPAs. I mean they would have basically cornered the market if they could pull it off, oh well.

32. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,896) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I'm not usually not an IPA fan but Dankwood was pretty OKish, though not very "dank"

33. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (727) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Amazed at how everyone thinks they know so well what would work for these guys. Don't you think that if they aged tons of FIS/FBS, it would be great but sit like some many year rounders do that aren't "fast drinkers?"

Founders--after a few less well received/slow to move items in the Backstage--appears to have hit a stride here as a large brewer maintaining some interest from this crowd in a time where others like them are struggling. A unique balance of well moving flagships (15 packs are a hit) and well executed one offs.

They really have kept folks interested their specialty beers>>KBS is still a great brew, but now with a bigger distro but still a lot of anticipation on release. CBS with three appearances over the last 7 or so years and likely more to come. Here and there BBA IPAs which appear to be a smaller thing but with a following.

Good for them!