Founders Brewing Co. to Release Sumatra Coffee Barrel-Aged Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,138) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., July 22, 2019 – Founders Brewing Co. has announced that Underground Mountain Brown will be the fourth release in the 2019 Barrel-Aged Series. Underground Mountain Brown was first released on draft as a taproom-exclusive several years ago under the name “Barrel-Aged Sumatra Mountain Brown” and quickly developed a passionate fan-following. As the name implies, it is a barrel-aged version of the brewery’s since-retired imperial brown ale, Sumatra Mountain Brown. Underground Mountain Brown (11.9% ABV) features a team of malts which complement the bold Sumatra coffee perfectly while time spend immersed in oak creates layers of depth and complexity. The Sumatra coffee is roasted in Grand Rapids by local coffeehouse, Ferris Coffee & Nut.

“We first released this beer in the taproom as Barrel-Aged Sumatra Mountain Brown and it was an immediate hit,” said Co-Founder and President, Dave Engbers. “Over the past few years, our fans have been very vocal about asking us to bottle and distribute it and we’re so happy to make it happen. The Barrel-Aged Series is a great chance for us to bring out some of these taproom fan-favorites to a larger audience and we can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks.”

Underground Mountain Brown will be available in both the Grand Rapids and Detroit taprooms beginning on August 16 and will start shipping out to other distribution states later in August. It will be available on draft, in 4-packs of 12oz bottles and 750mL bottles.

Underground Mountain Brown is preceded by Más Agave, KBS and Backwoods Bastard in the brewery’s 2019 Barrel-Aged Series. It will be followed by CBSin November. Please reach out to Amanda Davis for more information and samples.

About the Barrel-Aged Series
    Crafting legendary barrel-aged beers is an exercise in patience. We start by brewing complex, world-class beer worthy of time in a barrel. Then, our experience and years spent mastering our craft means we know exactly when it’s been aged to perfection. After one sip, you’ll know – it was worth the wait.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 10 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. A proud sponsor of chasing the American dream, Founders launched the Chase Your What If campaign in January 2019 to inspire all beer fans to live life to its fullest. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a member of the Michigan Brewers Guild. For more information, visit foundersbrewing.com or follow Founders on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

###

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,661) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Get into my BELLY!

3. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Aspirant (204) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Coffeeist beer ever!

Blogjackets and JimboBrews54 like this.
  4. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Savant (938) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

This sounds great!!

5. SouthernSips

SouthernSips Initiate (181) Aug 7, 2018 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Was that entire previous thread deleted and replaced by this three post one?? I can't find it, or my post in it, or the post on here asking to merge them.

If so, that's a shame...

6. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,711) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yep, that whole thread is gone. Seems heavy-handed. @Jason ?

7. SouthernSips

Society Trader

Agreed. If it had only 5-10 posts I would of figured whatever and not said anything but there was a lot of good discussion in there and to delete it in favor of a moderator post where two of the three sections are just general press release filler seems unfortunate.

8. Jason

Jason Founder (8,138) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Not sure which mod deleted or merged ... I generally don't but let the original poster that its been edited.

9. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,678) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Anyone know what’s up with the racism suit against Founders? I heard that a federal judge allowed it to move forward in April, but I haven’t heard anything about a settlement or court date since then.

BA Sumatra Brown sounds like a tasty beverage, but I’m gonna pass on Founders until I hear more about the outcome of this case.

Raj likes this.
  10. SouthernSips

Society Trader

I believe in innocent until proven guilty...especially as heated as things are now a days.

I'm going to absolutely load up on this release, been waiting a long time for it.

11. SouthernSips

Society Trader

Thanks for the response, I'm guessing it's gone for good then?

12. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,678) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

“Innocent until proven guilty” is a good principle when it comes to a government sending someone to prison. I’m cool with judgement calls using the evidence at hand for a host of lower-consequence, every-day decisions.

13. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (75) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

I am gonna take a wild guess and say that the reason it was deleted, not merged, is that the mods wanted their post (w/ the official Founders release text) to be the first post in the thread, and if the threads were merged it would have been stuck somewhere in the 10-30th post range (basically lost in the middle).
    They still didn't need to delete the other thread though imo.

ESHBG, Snowcrash000 and jakecattleco like this.
  14. SouthernSips

Society Trader

Yeah, I hear you. Just seems like it'll stifle conversation because now instead of making a thread breaking news people might just wait around and hope the mods make something so they don't risk deletion of content.

15. SouthernSips

Society Trader

I did ask my buddy at the distributor about a potential release date and while he said he is currently between Founders reps, the September time frame still seems likely even though some places are reporting mid-August.

I think there might be confusion with that release date because taproom availability will occur before shipment to distributors.

Junior likes this.
  16. ClarkstonMark

Trader

Just a reminder that this will be available at GR and D taprooms tomorrow

Junior likes this.
  17. GIJoe33

GIJoe33 Initiate (149) Jul 20, 2006 Wisconsin
    Trader

If anyone gets an update on the distro date... anxiously awaiting it across the lake!

18. K-jack211

K-jack211 Initiate (116) Jun 22, 2014 Michigan

Under $15 for a four-pack. Kudos to Founders on the pricing.

19. SouthernSips

Society Trader

Unliked it so I could like it again.

20. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (59) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

Just saw a few cases at an account in Chatham so it looks like it will be landing across NJ this week.

21. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (494) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Dropped at Grape+Gourmet in VA Beach... will wait and see if TW gets any so I don't fight traffic

22. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (187) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Haven’t seen shit in PA.

23. ClarkstonMark

Trader

I'm sure it is sitting in some PLCB warehouse collecting dust

24. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (921) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

25. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (134) Dec 25, 2015 New York

redeemer likes this.
  26. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (430) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Probably just renaming CBC to get the hype back. :grin:

27. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,343) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I found it today looks like it was delivered this week. $90 a case to not bad at all.

drtth likes this.
  28. craigbelly

craigbelly Crusader (769) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

Founders does one of the best jobs with coffee beers.

Number1Framer likes this.
  29. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (921) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

I wasn't sure if that just applied to specific location searches or if that map was what states had limited distribution. It's very confusing and they should leave beers off of their search menu if that caveat applies.

30. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (187) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Found it Wegmans Montgomeryville, $15 a four pack, not bad!

drtth and JackHorzempa like this.
  31. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (130) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I've been clamoring for this beer since the base Sumatra Mountain was first released and damn does it deliver. Can get the coffee, the barrel, and a strong chocolate/mocha element. It's like this other barrel-aged Founders coffee beer, but more bold and balanced. Am I out of line saying this beer does KBS better than KBS? Replace KBS with this and I'm good for at least a 4 pack every year even if I still might prefer the unbarreled version on its own by a slight hair. Can't complain about that price tag either!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  32. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Zealot (544) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Picked up a four pack in SoCal from a high volume shop that got one case. The beer is excellent with vanilla and oak from the barrel, chocolate from the malt with coffee playing a supporting role. So good.

ESHBG likes this.
  33. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (773) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Got my 4-pack. It hit everywhere in Cleveland. Really excited to try it out this weekend. Founder's does great stuff with coffee and barrels, so it should be a good one.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  34. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,471) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It is. My impression is that it was a more mellow taste when compared to KBS, probably because it's an imperial brown ale and missing the roastiness of a stout recipe, otherwise almost the same taste.

35. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (268) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Good description and I concur, all of the flavors play so nicely together and not one overpowers the other. I am going to try (key word there) to age a bottle a little bit but whenever I say that I usually don't do it. :wink:

Donco likes this.
  36. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,380) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

On tap here in pdx today. Easily the best Founder's beer I've had in some time. This is flat out excellent. Well done Founders!!!

37. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,975) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No. PLCB doesn’t warehouse beer.

38. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (8,561) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Trader

It's in New Orleans ($12.99 plus tax.)

I can confirm it's tasty.

TargaFlorio likes this.
  39. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (729) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

$12.99? Darn, that's a good price. $16.99 at the shop I went to the other day. Just cracked open my first, its really good.

40. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (116) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Where are you at I got a couple cases, 2 of the 4pks and one of the 750mls.