Founders Brewing Co. to Release Tequila Barrel-Aged Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,055) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., April 2019 – Founders Brewing Co. has announced that Más Agave will be the third release in the brewery’s esteemed Barrel-Aged Series. An imperial lime gose-style ale brewed with agave and aged in tequila barrels, Más Agave is the first tequila barrel-aged beer Founders has bottled. Más Agave (10% ABV) will be available in all markets beginning in early May in 4-packs (12oz bottles) and 750mL bottles. Más Agave will be available in both the Detroit and Grand Rapids taproom locations on May 3.

“As our barrel program grows, we’re fortunate to have access to different types of wood outside of our usual bourbon barrels,” said Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. “This inspired me to think outside of traditional beer flavors and more along the lines of flavor profiles you might find in a cocktail. With its salty and tangy character, the gose-style was a perfect match with one of my favorite cocktails, the margarita. So, we sourced some fantastic tequila barrels and brewed an imperial gose with lime and agave inspired by this classic cocktail.”

[​IMG]

The Más Agave label art was inspired by Day of the Dead imagery, specifically the elaborate altars built to honor deceased loved ones. Marigolds play heavily in the altars, as it is said that the scent attracts the spirits. The monarch butterfly is representative of the travel ancestors make to reach their loved ones during the holiday.

“Brewers don’t have the luxury of being happy with a static lineup,” said Co-Founder and President, Dave Engbers. “In today’s brewing landscape, innovation is key to standing out and it’s our responsibility to continue to push boundaries and create something new and unique. Our success came out of challenging the status quo and that spirit drives us every time we bring a new beer, like Más Agave, into the lineup.”

Más Agave is preceded by KBS and Backwoods Bastard in the brewery’s 2019 Barrel-Aged Series. It will be followed by a yet-to-be-announced release in September and CBS in November. Let us know how we can support your media coverage! Please reach out to Amanda Davis for more information and samples.

About the Barrel-Aged Series
    Crafting legendary barrel-aged beers is an exercise in patience. We start by brewing complex, world-class beer worthy of time in a barrel. Then, our experience and years spent mastering our craft means we know exactly when it’s been aged to perfection. After one sip, you’ll know – it was worth the wait.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 10 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. A proud sponsor of chasing the American dream, Founders launched the Chase Your What If campaign in January 2019 to inspire all beer fans to live life to its fullest. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a member of the Michigan Brewers Guild. For more information, visit foundersbrewing.com or follow Founders on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Roguer likes this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,714) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Perhaps the fact that it's now almost 4 and a half hours since this was posted without any response so far says something about how well this beer might do in the market.

3. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Aspirant (240) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Wish they'd bring back that barrel aged wheatwine, Sweet Repute. That interests me far more than this Gose on HGH.

#3 BeardedWalrus, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,043) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I have no idea how much I need to order for my store. I don't want it sitting on the shelves like Barrel Runner did.

5. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (433) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

I look forward to not buying this when I see it on the shelf sometime next year.

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,646) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I would do a bottle to sample but nothing I am running out for.

7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (581) Mar 28, 2009 California

Sierra Nevada’s barrel aged Otra Vez was really good. This is an imperial gose, so not sure how that works out. This is worth a try.

JackHorzempa and dcotom like this.
  8. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I am very excited to try this, as this mix of flavors are some of my favorites; overall I have been a big fan of the series and just about every beer has been a hit for me.

JackHorzempa, dcotom and Mongrel like this.
  9. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (747) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

Lol. I, for one, am stoked! I'm a sucker for goses and boozy margaritas in the summer months, and I'll be good for at least a 4-pack of this stuff.

maximum12, dcotom and ESHBG like this.
  10. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

For me Stouts and Porters are best for barrel treatment. My least favorite Founders BA beers have been Barrel Runner followed, not too far behind, by Dankwood. That said, I like a Gose every now and then so I'll buy a pack if I see it this summer.

micada, tmalt, waltari and 1 other person like this.
  11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,337) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Founders has a pretty good, proven track record, and I'd like to think that Barrel Runner was an isolated disaster.

I'm not a store owner so it's easy for me to say this, but in your shoes I'd probably take a chance on this beer. I might not buy a huge quantity of it (as I personally think that using Tequila barrels is always a bit of a gamble), but I have some faith that Founder's will be able to craft an interesting, enjoyable BA Gose. I know I plan to give it a try when they release it.

Mongrel, dcotom and Bitterbill like this.
  12. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (858) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

JFresh21 likes this.
  13. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

In don’t love it being 10%, but the flavors are a natural fit, so I’ll try it.

CannedWaggoneer and GreenBayBA like this.
  14. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I thought Barrel Runner was great but agreed that it wasn't a huge seller and I can still find some around me.

15. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Disciple (364) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Barrel Runner to me was probably the worst BA beer I have had from any brewery. Just because you can age something in a barrel doesn't mean that you should. I will not hunt this down but will give it a try if I see it.

micada, GuyFawkes and tmalt like this.
  16. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,069) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Before moving to Indiana in 2015, I was in southern California for seven years, outside of the distribution footprint for Founder's and most other Midwest breweries at the time. Moving here, I got to try KBS for the first time, and I've enjoyed some other BA releases like Mango Magnifico and Blushing Monk, despite being pretty over the top. But all that Founders has done for me since, say, mid-2016 is convince me that I should be paying more attention to Bell's. I can't imagine a 10% ABV barrel-aged gose to do any different.

#16 darktronica, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  17. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,805) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

This sounds terrible, like the rest of their barrel aged series.

18. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (451) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Don’t think I could talk myself into this one. Too many others on my wish list to try with no convincing.
    Just make Old Curmudgeon (not better half) year round. :wink:

19. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Zealot (508) May 19, 2015 New York

What has happened to Founders?they used to be really on the ball. Lizard of Koz was a poor effort, KBS seems to diminish in quality every year and can be now found sitting on shelves of your local gas station,they aren’t brewing Sumatra Mountain (one of their best ever) anymore, their numerous attempts at barrel aging ipa’s and last but certainly not least, the absolute abomination that was barrel runner. This news doesn’t give me much hope either.

aasher, micada, GuyFawkes and 2 others like this.
  20. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Savant (949) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

I’ve enjoyed the tequila barrel-Aged sours I've had in the past. As a Michigan Homer it’s safe to say I’ll give this a try. Can understand the skepticism though based on some of the other beers that have been released.

GreenBayBA, AZBeerDude72 and dcotom like this.
  21. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,131) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm looking forward to trying this. The flavor combination is a natural, and I'm interested in finding out how well the high ABV works in this. Then again, I liked DKML and Lizard of Koz. What do I know? :stuck_out_tongue:

MNAle, GreenBayBA, jvgoor3786 and 4 others like this.
  22. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (235) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Barrel aged Sumatra Brown is the next in the series. So sorry you've soured on them as a brewery. :grimacing:

23. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Disciple (364) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Hope it is a Bourbon barrel.

JayWhitson likes this.
  24. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

That piques my interest in a big way

25. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,633) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'm looking forward to it also. Had a similar beer from a local brewery that was really good. Can only imagine how good it will be from Founders. Though I drank almost a case of DKML...

ESHBG and dcotom like this.
  26. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (132) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Founders could bottle the most amazing shit in the world and I guarantee, at this point, that 50% of the posts (of course before anyone tried it) would be bustin' on Founders losing their way and how KBS now blows since you can buy as much as you want, etc...it's actually pretty funny.

27. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,450) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You took the words right off my keyboard!

redeemer, Junior and SFACRKnight like this.
  28. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (317) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Make this a 5% beer and I'd try it. I don't want 10% abv gose when I can drink Westbrook's.

29. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (166) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

If you have tried the rum barrel coconut porter from Central Waters, you'd change that opinion. It was basically a 12oz of bacardi with a small hint of imitation coconut. Barrel Runner wasn't good, but it was nowhere near that bad.

Junior likes this.
  30. KevSal

KevSal Savant (999) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

how about instead of making weird new shitty beer they finally bottle Black Biscuit? jfc

mkurylko, FatBoyGotSwagger and John_M like this.
  31. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,315) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Imperial gose aged in tequila barrels sounds like battery acid aged in my teenaged hangovers.

32. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,337) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Man, it's been years since I last tried Black Biscuit. I still remember how much I loved that beer. I'm not adverse to at least trying this new gose from Founders, but amen to them someday bottling Black Biscuit.

KevSal likes this.
  33. Fixer234

Fixer234 Initiate (45) Apr 3, 2014 Oregon

Tried this just today. It's interesting for sure, heavy on the salt and lime, maybe a bit too salty imo, but pretty tasty none the less. The 10% doesn't show, nor does the barrel that I could taste. Won't be something I drink regularly but I can see myself picking up one here and there for a change of pace, better than I was expecting.

ESHBG and JackHorzempa like this.
  34. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (316) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Natural fit? Wow maaaan, is that supposed to be like a Margarita, the lowest common denominator cocktail ever, but like, as a beeer? Far out, maaaaan.

Stupid beer sounds stupid. Take the imperial stout, don't put the adjuncts in it, age it in the barrels. What is so complicated about that for Founders? Why do they insist on doing so many idiotic beers in barrels, that are probably bringing in less margins (and they don't sell) than if they would just take a non-adjunct RIS/IS, and put it in the barrels, and sell it nationwide. They can call it "we decided to stop ruining the barrels we keep buying" stout.

Junior and BeardedWalrus like this.
  35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,818) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve never had a tequila barreled beer first off, but I’m having trouble seeing the compatibility. Whiskey yes, rum yes, tequila not so much, I’m having trouble seeing a blending of flavors being really positive. Tequila is polarizing in and by itself to begin with.

36. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yes.

37. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (711) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

TheGent and JackHorzempa like this.
  38. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (57) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

Had this at brewery February '18 and thought it was tasty. Had no idea it was 10% though. Not sure if the recipe has tweaked since then but I'll definitely pick up a 4 pack.

maximum12, ESHBG and JackHorzempa like this.
  39. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Zealot (508) May 19, 2015 New York

Apologies for an extremely late response to this. I’m still a fan, breakfast stout, dirty bastard and backwoods bastard are still fantastic. I’ll definitely try and probably love ba sumatra. Just think they’ve mostly made poor beers in their ba series. Blushing monk was a disaster and their refusal to put cbs in 12oz bottles in the us also was mystifying. But I’m not happy unless I’m complaining so....

GreenBayBA likes this.
  40. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (31) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

I like that Founders tries new things. I'm all about that. However, I did sample this beer yesterday, and I thought it was absolutely disgusting in my own honest opinion. But then again, 2 of my co-workers, who I usually trust their opinion on taste, loved it. For me it was way too sweet, and syrupy. Also the taste of artificial lime, or anything for that matter, is gross. It was like when Firestone Walker did a Dark & Stormy ale. Did not work out well at all. To each their own I suppose.

GreenBayBA, Junior and waltari like this.