Founders Brewing Co. to Release Tequila Barrel-Aged Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 22, 2019.

1. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (230) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Exactly, to each their own. After dogging on Founders for years about their BA DIPA's and spicy mango beers they finally nailed it with this one. The nose is full on margarita. I can see where someone could complain about the sweetness but between the salt, lime, and barrel presence there is enough going on I didn't let the upfront sweetness dampen my enthusiasm.

2. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

So far this is strangely absent in my neck of the woods and even their beer finder is turning up nothing, unfortunate because I really want to try this. I read a few reviews recently where people went in expecting to dislike it and ended up really liking it so that was good to hear. I love Margaritas, Gose, lime, etc., so I can't see how I would not really enjoy this.

But the one store I was in was about to unload two boxes of KBS and funny story about that: the shelves were already full with packs that have been sitting there for a while that they had to put about a case and a half back into the cooler. I asked about Mas Agave and didn't get a confident response so not sure when I will be seeing it.

3. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (31) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

Unfortunately I've been noticing this with a lot of Founders Barrel Aged stuff. They just don't seem as popular as they were a couple of years ago. Maybe they're just producing way too much of it as well. The retail store I frequent still has multiple cases of KBS and CBS sitting around.

ESHBG likes this.
  4. LordofWord

LordofWord Initiate (112) Dec 15, 2014 Oregon

There's KBS stacked up at my local grocery store, too. Price point, my friend, price point. They're Ballast Pointing themselves.

5. ESHBG

So this is finally hitting my area and I came across a four pack (no thanks to their beer finder ha ha) and had one bottle already. I enjoyed it and it was easy for me to pick out each flavor but I think that it still may be just a little "green", was bottled on 04/30 and I am going to sit on at least one bottle for a bit to see what happens. Well worth the purchase for me but yes if you don't like Margaritas/lime/agave don't bother.

So far for this series DKML has been my favorite but have enjoyed every offering to date.

If I had to pick out one thing that I didn't like it would be the sweetness but it wasn't enough for me to not like it (but I could easily tell that drinking more than one of these in a sitting would do some damage on me) and this is why I want to age it a bit, to see if that calms down a little as the flavors blend a little more.

Blogjackets likes this.
  6. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (537) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I didn't like this beer first time I had it because I drunk it out of a snifter. Couple days later I poured it into a goblet and added a lime and my God this was delicious! Tasted just like a margarita. It's amazing what glassware can do as well as the addition of a lime.

Blogjackets, GreenBayBA and ESHBG like this.
  7. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,691) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Has this at hop jam (tulsa ok) over the weekend (Founders was pouring), a great beer to break up all the hoppy shit I had been drinking. Not too tart, good tequila pickup and a pretty high residual sweetness. Tasted like a straight up margarita. Would buy if I found in Houston

Blogjackets likes this.
  8. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (32) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Had one, was good, would have enjoyed more if it were less sweet, more sour and slightly lower ABV.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  9. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (747) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

Had it on Sunday and thought it was really great! Tons of (good) tequila on the nose. A quick twang of sourness on the palate, and then big sweetness, quickly balanced by a return of sour dryness. Actually really well balanced. Agree with other reviews that this was like a straight up margarita. I was craving another when I finished my only bottle.

Blogjackets and GreenBayBA like this.
  10. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (330) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

The tequila variant of the Abyss was my favorite this year. I preferred ot over the rum version and that surprised me. This beer is not all that comparable, but they can be good.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,816) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

KBS still on the floor here.

12. M-14

M-14 Initiate (125) Feb 5, 2014 California

CBS as well...

GreenBayBA likes this.
  13. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (27) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

Grabbed a single bottle last week to try. Really enjoyed it and picked up the remaining 4 pack this week

GreenBayBA likes this.
  14. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (402) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

This one wasn't for me, but I knew that was a possibility going in because I am overly sensitive to tartness/sourness. Seems like they pretty much nailed what they were trying for though.

Blogjackets and GreenBayBA like this.
  15. M-14

M-14 Initiate (125) Feb 5, 2014 California

I was not expecting it to be so sweet.

JediMasterLenin, waltari and ESHBG like this.
  16. ESHBG

Same. I enjoyed the four but it won't be a repeat purchase for this reason. I was hoping to age one but eh, the bottle didn't make it ha ha

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  17. Riff

Riff Champion (837) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Enjoyed this one. Might even consider another purchase. Either way, it's a win for Founders.

JediMasterLenin and AnchorDrops like this.
  18. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Savant (949) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

I’m a homer so this can be taken with a grain of salt. In my opinion Founders totally nailed it with this one! As far as “cocktail” beers go I think this is on par with Imperial Cabinet. The lime, salt and boozy flavors accurately emulate a margarita for me.

19. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,074) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I will buy some and try it. As far as kbs, what is nice about so much available is when you desire some, just go and buy a 4 pk, and the store is aging it for us ( not at the right temp tho). No need to buy a bunch upfront and store it yourself.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  20. deboy922

deboy922 Initiate (28) Jan 1, 2017 Indiana

"Cocktail beer" is a great decription from @needMIbeer .

This one is a little sour, a little sweet, a little salt, a little tequila, and a little boozy...it is all in there...never had a beer like this one. I really like it!

I have 4 friends that like craft beer, goses, and margaritas. I texted them a pic and told them to try this... can't wait to see what they think!

21. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,597) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I have 2 bottles I just picked up for an NBS virtual share in a week or so. I'm looking at you, @cjgiant

Can. Not. Wait.

cjgiant likes this.
  22. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,545) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Anyone else wanting to try it for the first time 2 Sundays from now with us and give their thoughts on that thread are welcome. First time New Beer Sunday participants or veterans.

Or they can read our reviews and post about how wrong (or right) we are. Works either way :wink:

ovaltine likes this.
  23. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (288) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

Not a good beer. Maybe a good cocktail. Way too sweet. Bud Light Lime on steroids with a lot of sugar. We need a new beer style: Cocktail Inspired. It's not a Gose. Since there's no Cocktail Inspired style, it needs to be in the Fruit Beer category.

24. bl00

bl00 Disciple (399) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I really liked this one- the lime tasted fresh and bright, the barrel was smokey and smooth.

LongTaco15 likes this.
  25. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (869) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

Just picked up a single at the grocery store. The reviews look encouraging so maybe I'll pick up more if I can.