Founders CBS 12oz Bottles (Finally in the U.S.)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by cambabeer, Jul 11, 2019.

1. StoutAtTheDevil

StoutAtTheDevil Zealot (589) Nov 17, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

It is funny how the brain works - in the span of half a second, that thought did cross my mind, along with "yuck, it's the garage floor", and "how would I explain this to my wife?".

Junior, fehrminator and MNAle like this.
  2. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Champion (813) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

I’ve been noticing on the BA and finally found it today at Total Wine. $24 4-pak. Cheers

benzodrums likes this.
  3. alert

alert Initiate (28) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

I thought unfiltered beer was popular now?

StoutAtTheDevil and MNAle like this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Where would we be without adult supervision? :grin:

readyski, Junior and StoutAtTheDevil like this.
  5. the_bavarian

the_bavarian Initiate (46) Sep 15, 2017 Florida
    Trader

$26.99 a 4 pack Total Wine S FL...

6. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (239) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Ouch that stings. I've lost $1+ cans of beer and still felt it, I could only imagine how I would feel about losing a bottle of CBS ha ha

StoutAtTheDevil likes this.
  7. StoutAtTheDevil

StoutAtTheDevil Zealot (589) Nov 17, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

Looking for the silver lining, I am glad it happened in the garage and not inside the house. Would hate to step on a piece of glass that got overlooked.

ESHBG likes this.
  8. Rocktire

Rocktire Aspirant (201) Jan 15, 2017 New York
    Society

Bottle King in Ramsey NJ had it for $21.99...10 cases in view at least

Junior and tobelerone like this.
  9. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Total Wine in Burnsville, MN had about 7 cases on the floor about an hour ago. $21.99 / 4-pack, no limit.

10. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,602) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This is a really good idea. I was honestly disappointed the first time I had CBS because of its almost overwhelming sweetness. It will be a lot easier to drink in this format than trying to nurse a bomber.

11. scream

scream Meyvn (1,156) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

For me certainly the 12 oz. format is preferable. That being said a bottle capper fpr bombers is a very useful tool.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,972) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

At that price, no. I’m not so sure I want to spend $25. And it’s not all about the money though, I buy a shitty pint at the local Pub and spend $6 willingly. It’s about over pricing a product, and all of Founders BA stuff imo is a bit pricy, but the KBS being a year round brew and holding at $24 doesn’t work for me either. Personal opinion here with Founders products, mind subject to change though.

bbtkd, abecall98 and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (413) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I’ve only had this a couple of times but it’s better than I remember.

14. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (191) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

$24.99 in SE PA, eye- high stack of cases at wegmans. I grabbed a pack.

15. nc41

Trader

I’m buying a pack tomorrow, can’t say yes or no without trying it again.

Tilley4 and Jaycase like this.
  16. BoldCars

BoldCars Initiate (29) Apr 5, 2018 Maryland

Thanks for the info!

17. ToasterKlay

ToasterKlay Initiate (16) May 15, 2017 California

A few liquors stores here in San Jose received their shipments yesterday. I bought one 4 pack for $23.99.

mogulskier likes this.
  18. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (63) Feb 3, 2019 California

I'll be hitting up local bottle shops today for Alvarado Street and Moonraker can drops. I will be on the lookout for this.

Thanks for the heads up.

19. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (231) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Grabbed some here in TX today. $23.

What a time to be alive!

20. nc41

Trader

Go to the local food store. CBS is on tap, and it’s selling for $21.99. I bought one of both, the tap cup was imo very good. So I bought a 4 pk. They also got two kegs of CBS, I’d bet it’s on tap nowhere in Greensboro. This food store really rocks it.

DISKORD and AlcahueteJ like this.
  21. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (731) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

Saw CBS 4 packs at Kroger for $26.99 and at a liquor store for $29.99. That was a pass for me at both prices. Why do prices in Indiana always seem so jacked compared to neighboring states? Do we have substantially higher sin taxes? Anyway, I'm hoping to load up on Willettized instead. No maple, but a great beer for the price.

22. scream

scream Meyvn (1,156) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Here The CBS is $20.99 and still some on the shelf this afternoon. Willettized was $11.99 and gone.

23. nc41

Trader

Cheers to a grocery store selling it for $4 less than Total Wine or any other retailer in the area. I’d never pay $30 for this beer, it’s good but not that good.

24. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (42) Dec 24, 2018 California

I had a bottle in Milwaukee last week. I enjoyed it more than I ever have. I’ve often felt CBS was the weakest BS in the lineup. But this year’s was fantastic.

25. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Aspirant (215) Apr 5, 2008 New York

$24.99/ four-pack in Orange County New York. Store got a case (according to the owners) but were allowing 2 four-packs per customer. I'm imagining that some of the predatory, vampire bottle shops in the area will clobber unsuspecting and suspecting customers alike on this one per usual.

Agree with someone up there in the thread who said it's light on the maple, but it's still really excellent. I find this to be a genuinely classic beer.

Love it. Founders bless.

ESHBG likes this.
  26. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,377) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

$23.33 here with a case discount after taxes. I have enjoyed the one or two I drunk so far a lot. Much easier mentally to just pop a bottle and enjoy it vs the large bottle format last year where I felt like I needed a holiday or special occasion to drink it.

Also getting plenty of maple flavor as long as it isn't poured too cold.

AlcahueteJ, Junior and ESHBG like this.
  27. nc41

Trader

I like it, I was expecting to be kinda neutral on this one. It’s a bit sweetish at the finish, but it’s not really sweet, but when I think Maple I think pancake syrup. It’s certainly not that, thank god that would be nasty. But still I, don’t drink this blind and declare maple.

28. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Aspirant (207) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania

Had my first one of these ever tonight so can't compare to previous years. 4 pk for $24.99 at Wegmans. Caught more chocolate and coffee than maple, but friggen good. Lives up to the hype IMHO.

Junior, ESHBG and Longhorn08 like this.
  29. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (335) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

23.99/4 pack round my burgh. A bit steep, but still cheaper than the 750 ml. Will probably grab another 4 pack to stash in the cellar, provided there's more to be had. Excellent beer.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  30. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (546) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Just had one. Long work week and after a pizza and local IPA had a Peerless Rye on a big rock and then a CBS for dessert. On par with prior versions and definitely worth the 21.99 tag.

Sad to see they are going to phase it out. I bet KBS comes down to a similar price for the longer haul and although the "cult status" is no more, it remains a solid beer that I still will enjoy now year long. Happy to see it is on the shelf now that it is cooler outside.

AlcahueteJ, jonphisher and ESHBG like this.
  31. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Champion (846) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Picked up a 4 pack tonight at $21.99. Probably will drink two and age the other unless I end up buying another pack.

ESHBG likes this.
  32. ESHBG

The pricing for this beer is all over the place in my area but I guess to be expected. So far I have seen:
    • $24.99 (the price quote was $29.99 but when scanned the price showed differently)
    • $23.99
    • $26.99
    • Singles for $10.00
    I still haven't pulled the trigger because while I enjoy Founders BA beers, I don't always enjoy them THAT much so price is a consideration. But since I have never had this beer before and it sounds like it's going away...

A single at a reasonable price or draft would be ideal, I will continue to keep my eyes peeled. Sounds like this beer would be right up my alley, though.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Aspirant (207) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania

Those price ranges seem in line with what I've seen here in SEPA. 750s range from $20-30.

Not sure how close you are to CJ's Doghouse in Lansdale/Towamencin but they had been willing to break 4 packs of other beers for me at cost, meaning that if the 4 pk was $14, the single was $3.50. Might be worth a call over there if you're interested in a single. Hope you can get your hands on it at a reasonable price...

AlcahueteJ and ESHBG like this.
  34. ESHBG

Thanks for the tip, I will have to look into this. $10/bottle is definitely not worth it IMO.

Junior likes this.
  35. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (212) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Is 21-25 really that bad for a four pack of a very good (IMO) barrel aged beer? Heck you have these small breweries charging 18-20$ or more for some ipas. I know we all have our own opinions on price but I’ll gladly pay that for a four pack of CBS. The bombers last year and year before were almost double the price per volume, that’s the crazy part to me.

36. ESHBG

No it's not when you think about the barrel aging and all that goes into the beer. But I am price conscious because I have yet to be so blown away by a beer that I would pay anything for it so I do keep the economics in mind (and bigger beers can sometimes be a one and done for me). It's a fun topic too, to see what prices are in other places...but usually this ends the same with me finding out yet again that PA prices suck :wink:

I probably will end up with a four pack and sharing over the holidays if I am not able to locate a single at a reasonable price.

surfcaster and jonphisher like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,102) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Sounds like a great night.

surfcaster and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. nc41

Trader

Just a reminder but Founders is taking CBS out of the rotation, and that was one reason why I bought some. At $21.99 I might buy another. You never know when you’ll see it again, I suppose making KBS a year round offering played its part here.

39. ESHBG

I wonder if it's just a hype move, as it seems odd to kill off a beer that is so successful. My guess is it will pop back up after a year or so.

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You mean like furniture stores and their annual "Going out of business" sales?:flushed:

Cheers!

GuyFawkes and ESHBG like this.