Founders Cellar Raid 2016

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by UnionFederal, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanschimmele

ryanschimmele Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2014 Michigan

I am really surprised CBS is kicking so fast. I was there last year for at least 6 hours and CBS was on the whole time.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  2. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

yeah 1-2 hours is a bit nuts. Maybe last year they had more so they just kept it on tap, and this year they have less so they aren't tapping it as much. Or this year is just that much more of a feeding frenzy.

3. Hezy

Hezy Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2014 Michigan

I got there at 12:55 & CBS was gone

4. darkwing1

darkwing1 Initiate (172) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I believe they changed kegs multiple times throughout the day last year so that it could stay on for most of the event. This year, it looks like two sixtels per day...noon and 6:00 pm.

5. Hezy

Next CBS tapping is at 6pm

6. jaybes

jaybes Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Michigan

Been at Founders since they opened...so 9.5 hours? Gotta say, the Cellar Raid had been a bitter-sweet experience. On one hand, I'm happy because I landed vintage bottles of KBS from the store, but on the other hand, they've had the same beers on tap ALL day, with no variety. CBS appeared twice for short periods of time, but other than that it as the same beers all day. I was hoping they would bust out some unheard of beers, or crazy BA variants, but no. The best beer I had all day was Sleeper Cell, and ironically it has nothing to do with cellaring. In short, thanks Founders for the vintage bottles, but all-in-all the "Cellar Raid" was underwhelming compared to last year.

7. CD83

CD83 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan

@jaybes at 9.5 hours I think you should call it quits. Who gives a shit? They had the same beers on tap all week last year as well. I love when people are drinking CBS and still complaining.

P.S.: let me know what company you work for, I want to fill out an application.

schepelz, mcomben, Ristaccia and 5 others like this.
  8. jaybes

jaybes Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Michigan

9. Hezy

Can someone post today's specials

10. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Kbs and backwoods bottles in the store, kbs is on tap along with most of the other stuff they've had all week. Their website and app have been up to date this whole week. Timed tappings of CBS again.

11. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

CBS keg at noon blew in approximately 20 minutes today

12. Jmorey

Absolutely crazy in there today. So packed. CBS was on tap for 24 minutes (give or take). Very happy to get some and had the BA honeystuff. Met a lot of nice people.

If you were there I was the guy in the orange plaid with the little blond baby girl.

#172 Jmorey, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  13. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

I was hoping to read something different like the place is empty - but I'm a realist :grinning:. Hopefully the lack of CBS until 6pm will keep some of the crowd away (again, wishful thinking here I know).

Heading down there with the Wife to meet up with some friends. I'll be wearing a Red Sox hat and blue plaid shirt (and a big beard) - that should narrow it down somewhat (the hat, not the beard). Feel free to say hi if you see me.

14. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (154) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

That ba honeystuff is the shit!

KBS likes this.
  15. bassfishingguy

Jesus just got here and there is a line starting to wrap around the building...

Shenanigans...

16. Jmorey

Yeah when we left there was a line out the door, down the steps and into the sidewalk. Other people were like "what the F is going on?!?!"

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  17. ryanschimmele

ryanschimmele Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2014 Michigan

I got there about 15 mins before it opened and there was already quite the line. Got bottles of kbs. CBS was gone in a flash but glad I got a glass. BA honeystuff is awesome. Kbs cran blast is an abomination....

18. bassfishingguy

CBS is flowing again as of 5:30. Guessing it blows faster than earlier too. The nice part about a table is not waiting.

19. landrewg

Trader

Yeah, those KBS varients were a waste of KBS IMHO.

20. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (224) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I wouldn't be opposed to KBS variants as long as they retire the hot sauce barrels.

landrewg likes this.
  21. wardj28

wardj28 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan

Going to be in Grand Rapids in 30 mins. Worth hitting this at any point tonight? How long is the wait to get in? Cheers!

22. bassfishingguy

@wardj28 We left a little after 6pm. CBS was still flowing then (although it's likely gone unless they've tapped another keg...). They still have plenty of great beer on tap. I believe, that you're looking at a $5 cover as they probably have some music tonight. There was no line to get in when we left (and the place actually seemed to be clearing out once most people got the CBS pour they came for).

Just AVOID the KBS Blast (or anything they put in hot sauce barrels). I can honestly say that's the only beer I can remember NOT finishing...Literally tasted like carbonated Frank's hot sauce to me. Definitely a failed attempt of a beer in my opinion.

23. landrewg

Trader

Anyone try the BA Sizzler? And what about the SBA Sizzler? What does the S stand for?

24. Jmorey

There were two slightly inebriated guys standing in line with me for CBS talking about how much they liked Blast. I was like "I don't know if I trust your judgement..."

25. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Both very good. Interesting it's categorized as a malt liquor. SBA they told me was the Sherry Barrel Aged as opposed to the Barrel Aged (assume bourbon barrel)

landrewg likes this.
  26. bassfishingguy

Yeah, it was definitely the booze talking with the 2 guys in line with you.

I didn't try the Cran Blast due to the fact that all I could picture was cranberry flavored Frank's...which sounds awful as hell. I enjoy spicy beer / spicy food, so it wasn't the heat/spice that did it. The feel of KBS Blast was more like a sauce than a beer (much thicker than anything I've ever had called 'beer'). In all seriousness though, if they bottled this I'd buy 1 to experiment with while cooking (but I prefer to drink the beer vs. add flavor with it to a meal :grinning:).

Speaking of inebriated, Founders seemed to be pretty bad about over serving customers the past few days (or literally had the clumsiest damn customers I've ever seen). I had 3 full beers get spilled on me over the 2 visits (Wed/Sat). Two beers spilled on my coat in the span of about an hour today :angry:.

27. wardj28

wardj28 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan

28. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Great beers from this event aside, that Sloppy Joe special was tasty!

29. apendecto

apendecto Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2009 Michigan

I was turned off by the redankulous lines on Saturday and left. Came back today (Sunday) to just about everything still on tap. Thank God KBS Cran Blast was still on...I'm not sure I've had a worse beer anywhere.
    Honestuff drank like a mead, Sumatra MTN Brown is giving Breakfast Stout a run for it's money, KBS is only good fresh, BA Cran is good (but not really my style), Boiler Maker (or however it's spelled) has changed and doesn't taste as good and PAM stole the show. I've had it side by side with CBS and it's nearly as good. It's just a touch weaker than CBS. I honestly wonder if it stands for People Are Morons to see if a name changes the reception of the beer. I'm curious if they named if something like Double Dry Hopped CBS if the reviews would be better. It's awesome. The sloppy joe wasn't.

30. core42

core42 Zealot (556) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

WHAT????? There were lines on Saturday for reDANKulous???

KBS likes this.
  31. Robdiesel21

Robdiesel21 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan

i enjoyed the kbs Cranblast but....... it would not be something i would want a full 16oz pour of. i liked the flavors of how all three came out but that was just me. me other buddies hated it. but thats why we all have different things we like! cheers and i hope to be down there next year early enough for some CBS!

32. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Any rumours on 2017. Going to be in MI on business the week of 1/23 and hoping to multi-task. Looks like they announced before Christmas last year...

33. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

January 25-28, they already posted a Facebook event for it. No other details yet.

Otis32 likes this.
  34. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Jan 25-28, announced on their facebook page. CBS bottles, 6 per

35. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Thanks all. Checked events on the website but don't bookface

36. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

Dat's Frootwood, mayne. Not CBS.

TheKlevin likes this.
  37. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Lots of FIBs cancelling some hotel reservations right now.

38. core42

core42 Zealot (556) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Trust me, he knows

Sparty1224 likes this.
  39. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Well, I liked where you were going with this... It was fun while it lasted :stuck_out_tongue:

40. Booneyho

Booneyho Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2016 Indiana

I'm going this year for the first time ever, and have been scouring the web looking for clues as to what will be on. Coming in early Friday morning. What do I need to prepare for?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.