Founders Dissenter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerAristocrat, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAristocrat

BeerAristocrat Nov 3, 2014 Georgia

Just had this a few days ago, and thought this was phenomenal for what it was. Is there something that would compare to this style, with the topical and bitter notes? Would something like that be alright to fridge for months on out, or would the taste lose its characters for the style?

2. krustster

krustster Nov 22, 2013 Maine

I don't know much about IPLs but I will say that no, you'd be better off having it as fresh as you can. I actually shared a bottle of Dissenter a few weeks ago and thought it was not nearly as good as it was on tap a month or two before that. If you can get someone to send you Scream from New Glarus or maybe Odell's Myrcenary, those are two of the best IPAs I've had in terms of balancing tropical and bitter flavors.

3. Morakaton

Morakaton May 6, 2013 Michigan

It was bottled only once in July AFAIK, and it basically lost it's original set of powerful fruity and hoppy characteristics by September. I wouldn't recommend buying more at this point, it's not a beer that will probably age well (unless you like aged IPL for some reason =D)

4. schepelz

schepelz Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

I know this won't help unless you trade when available but Short's MMMkay is a magical IPL

BeerAristocrat, psykosis and MIbeer27 like this.
  5. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Many new-school (I)IPAs will have the tropical flavors you're looking for. Jai Alai from CCB, Ballast Point Sculpin, Ballast Point Dorado, Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Fathom, Bells Two-Hearted, Bells Hopslam, Boulevard Double-Wide, Founders Double Trouble, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Lagunitas Sucks, Lagunitas Born Yesterday, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Maximus, Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin, Port Hop 15, Port Mongo, Port Wipeout, Sierra Nevada Torpedo (somewhat pinier than other options), Sixpoint Resin, Southern Tier Live, Southern Tier 2xIPA, Stone IPA, Stone Ruination, Stone RuinTen, Stone Enjoy By, Victory Dirtwolf, Westbrook IPA, Westbrook One Claw, as far as I can glean from your distribution in Georgia.

None of these are IPLs (except BP Fathom) since that style is not really huge yet, but they will have the fruity notes you're looking for without the clean, "lager" finish that IPLs have. If you're into the trading game, seek out Jack's Abby from Massachusetts, they make several great IPLs.

As far as aging, do not age anything hoppy, ever. Hoppy beers, almost without exception, are meant to be consumed fresh and will only decline in quality over time. Keep them refrigerated and out of light at all times, and never buy more than you can drink quickly. Opinions vary, but I believe that hoppy beers are best within the first month of bottling. Two months is still fine in a pinch, but anything beyond that will show a different beer than it was fresh, and it likely won't be optimal.

#5 THANAT0PSIS, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    2beerdogs and mackeyse like this.
  6. mackeyse

mackeyse Aug 21, 2012 New York

Jack's Abby Mass Rising (easy to get) or Kiwi Rising (rotating). Both blow Dissenter out of the water and at a much better price point if you have access via trade.

7. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Sep 29, 2013 New York

I would drink fresh as possible. I love the way the lager yeast actually allows the hop flavor to shine in this. IPAs are great and I love the complexity that you get out of an ale, but this beer completely showcased the hops in a direct way.

Fargrow likes this.
  8. spitshaded

spitshaded Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

I had a couple bottles when it came out & a bottle a month later & absolutely loved it (the last bottle was a tad less enjoyable & made further purchases a bit hard due to the price). It still sits on shelves around here which is a shame. If Founders made this a new seasonal/limited 4 pack, I think it would have gotten a lot more love. +/-$12 a bottle is a bit much for an IPL, as good as it is.

If you like the IPL style, Otter Creek should be bringing out their Citra Mantra in the next couple of months or so & it's a real keeper. Really well-priced in 6 packs to boot.

Endtro likes this.
  9. DVMin98

DVMin98 Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

It was frickin' awesome when it was fresh to a couple months old. It didn't get a lot of love on here, which was fine, because I was able to score as much as I wanted. I still see it on the shelves. Hope the next release is 'hated' too :slight_smile:

10. Nick_Bousquet

Nick_Bousquet Sep 17, 2014 Virginia

I loved Dissenter but I have avoided buying any more due to the flavor falling off. I'm sure it will still be good but likely not worth the price they charged for it at initial release in my opinion. Hopefully they bring it back at some point.

11. klawburke

klawburke Mar 30, 2013 Massachusetts

I'd add Hoponius Union to this.

tsp247 likes this.
  12. Endtro

Endtro Sep 10, 2008 Pennsylvania

Had one last week. Over the hill for sure.

13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I liked it a lot, and there was a cool story about the label art on this forum a month or so ago

14. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

There is still a lot of it around. I bet if I tried, I could put together a case between 2 or 3 stores. I wonder what it's fate will be after 2-3 more months of shelf aging.

15. PeterP-516

PeterP-516 Jul 14, 2013 New York

He it a shame that such a good beer ended up sitting on shelves rotting away.

16. Blutz

Blutz Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I was going to say the exact same thing. I recently did a tasting of the two side by side, and Short's MMMKay was hands down the winner. It had a much bigger bite and the citrus notes really shined by comparison.

schepelz likes this.
  17. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

The $12 price tag didn't help.

JohnnyHopps, PeterP-516 and szmnnl99 like this.
  18. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Good list. You put a few on my radar. Thanks @THANAT0PSIS !!!

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  19. AlpacaAlpaca

AlpacaAlpaca Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

Dissenter> Fathom, although Fathom was pretty solid!

20. dynajack1

dynajack1 Jul 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Way to expensive!!!! Big time hype. It was good but anything similar from Jacks Abby blows it out of the water. At half the price.

tsp247 and LagersAndAles like this.
  21. PeterP-516

PeterP-516 Jul 14, 2013 New York

It's like 14$ here on long island

22. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Mar 5, 2014 New York

Like other people have said, I heard it was good, but at over 10 bucks a bottle, much easier in NY to just get some great Jack Abby's hoppy Lagers

23. msscott1973

msscott1973 Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

That is what kept me from buying it a second time, though I thought it was excellent.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.