Founders Double Trouble (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKENEDPLAGUE

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Ohio

Oooooh will definitely have to try this

2. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Meyvn (1,023) Sep 26, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

From what I remember last year I thought Double Trouble tasted like citrusy nectar

3. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

You forgot the most important part Founders should stop making beer altogether until they can figure out how to release CBS again

craigo19 and mjshearer1 like this.
  4. GFG

GFG Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 North Dakota

What are my chances of picking this up in Traverse City between July 1st and July 15th?

5. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,621) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Can't wait.

Though I'll say, I had a weird time with DT last year. I first got my hands on some super fresh bottles that were less than 2 weeks old. But somehow they didn't have any aroma. The nose was strangely absent of hops from each bottle. I cracked new bottles on different days, used a tulip, a snifter... but no luck. I was bummed because I used to love this beer so much.

A month passed and I happen to find it on tap at a dive. I gave it one last try because I couldn't fathom that the DT I used to know and love was no longer great. So I ordered it, and just after the first whif and sip...HOLY CRAP....it was the best smelling and tasting DT I'd ever had. I remember saying aloud in the bar "NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!" and some strangers around me gave me a little surprised WTF expression.

Amazing story I know...

mychalg9 and jplopez21 like this.
  6. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 Virginia

Somehow, this has eluded me every year. I am definitely going to snag some soon.

7. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

tried this recently and my 4 pack was bottled in mid 2012....but i loved it. can't wait to try it fresh
    founders is climbing the "my favorite breweries" ranks

8. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (540) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

quite possibly my favorite seasonal. Double Trouble used to always wipe the floor with Hopslam back in the January-release days

JDizzle likes this.
  9. ressling

ressling Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Georgia

updating my earlier post. Just noticed that my last Double Trouble in my fridge is OVER a year old... definitely worth getting my hands on a fresh one to get a new outlook on it, yes?

10. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012 Michigan

I recently purchased some and while driving back from the shop realized I should have checked the bottle date. Also just over a year old. I've had it fresh before and was blown away. This stuff...not so much. Excited for the release this year though!

11. Morey

Morey Meyvn (1,138) Dec 30, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I disagree, DT is better than both of these beers. Is it the best DIPA?....certainly not, but it's Founders best IPA in my opinion.

iuindy2l, Swik and SpunkyHopslammer like this.
  12. OleDixie

OleDixie Devotee (483) Jan 24, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Had a Double Trouble on tap this past weekend as a part of a KBS event. First time trying it, but I was slightly reluctant because I wasn't sure if the new batch was released. I'm going to go ahead and assume it IS the new batch because it was delicious. I'll be looking to purchase a case in three weeks.

13. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (784) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

The 2011 batch was off the charts tasty. Last year's - not so much. So your "story" has merit IMHO.

14. smutty33

smutty33 Champion (804) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Should be plenty of this to go around,atleast compared to the KBS fiasco....lol.
    DT is delicious.

Cheers

15. OldBluesNewBrews

OldBluesNewBrews Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 New Jersey

Not quite sure what question you're referring to, nor do I want to blow up this thread with something off-topic. However, if you know of a specific forum, I'll go check it. Not sure how much I'll be able to say, especially since I'm not their official spokesperson.

16. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (345) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

This is probably the only Founders IPA I haven't had. Can't wait to pick up a 4 pack.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 Michigan

Shouldn't be too hard. If you have trouble, BM me for a IP trade.

18. GFG

GFG Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 North Dakota

Sounds good. What are the best beers stores in TC? I never really know so I always just to go to Meijer

19. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

I would not be going out on a limb to say The Beverage Company. I discovered it last summer. They have a good selection of singles. You will find it on Carver pretty much at the intersection of Garfield (SW corner, I'm orienting correctly inmy brain). Not too far from The Filling Station, actually, if you care to try some great beer and wood-fired pizzas.

If you're going further north on 22, the Marathon gas station just north of Bingham road (halfway to Sutton's Bay) has Founders, Short's, Bell's, and other non-Michigan micros. A little further and you'll hit Barrels and Barrels, a party/liquor store that has a pretty good selection. Once into Sutton's Bay, right before you get downtown, Hansen's grocery store has a pretty decent selection as well. Also, various shops in Sutton's Bay and Leland will have Michigan beers available.

GFG likes this.
  20. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I like Double Trouble better than Sucks, Double Jack & PTE.

steebo777 likes this.
  21. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

Haha, I loved Double Trouble last year, and I like Centennial alot, but I wouldn't drink an All Day if I got it free. Maybe my most disappointing purchase in the last 3 months, just did not dig it at all.

22. stearns16

stearns16 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2010 Connecticut

I got to say this batch of Double Trouble already tastes different from previous years!!!!!:grimacing:

craigo19 likes this.
  23. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

It's mostly about how NN seems different from what it used to be. I believe there are forums entitled "Nugget Nectar" or some derivative of that. And it's probably better that you aren't an official spokesperson since officially it's the same.

24. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 New York

Hit Buffalo, NY today - did not see any in Rochester yet.

25. scud

scud Initiate (86) Sep 22, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

Had the same problem, although it was fun to do side by side tastings, I like the idea of now being able to enjoy this brew in the summer!

26. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

i second the beverage company. one of the better selections ive ever found. to put it in perspective the last time i was there back in february they had a number of cases of hopslam that i couldnt even count and were selling them for $68 per case. if DT is still around id guess they would have some.

GFG likes this.
  27. DrewV

DrewV Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2011 New York

Yup, bought some at Consumer's in Orchard Park over the weekend. Thought it was pretty tasty. Not my favorite DIPA, though.

But I was confused -- thought it was supposed to come out in May ?? Oh well.

28. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (411) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

That's just for Michigan. Everywhere else gets it before us (WHICH IS FUCKING STUPID).

craigo19 and Steimie like this.
  29. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (272) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

I swear it's just NY. I'm pretty sure Bolt Cutter hit NY a good couple of weeks before it was released anywhere else.

30. Arsenal_MC

Arsenal_MC Initiate (89) Feb 25, 2013 District of Columbia
    Trader

It's in DC!

Saw it on a beer store's Twitter that they got it yesterday... Gonna bike over there after work to see if I can get a pack.

31. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio

This dropped in Columbus yesterday

BLACKENEDPLAGUE likes this.
  32. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,917) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

Hope it drops by NYC soon.

33. Chenchilla

Chenchilla Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Virginia

Just got it in Richmond, Va. I left the first bottle in the freezer too long and it tasted very strange. Got worried because I bought a case before tasting this year, but the second one was a dream. DO NOT OVER CHILL!

34. StylzMC

StylzMC Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Canada (YT)

Been in vt for about a week. You can still find Bolt Cutter, last years Old Curm, and Frangelic on shelves here..

35. Swik

Swik Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Indiana

Stocked in Fort Wayne Indiana as of yesterday, walked in on the day they get the majority of their shipments and asked for zombie dust, got a negative, asked for double trouble and I was the first to get a four pack, high fixed the guy at the counter WINNING!!!

36. montman

montman Devotee (434) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Picked up a 4 pack in VA this afternoon.

37. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Pretty sure it's a May - June beer so you may get lucky and if you do get lucky it may be on the old side.

38. Arsenal_MC

Arsenal_MC Initiate (89) Feb 25, 2013 District of Columbia
    Trader

Pretty much everywhere in DC today.. Picked up my 4-pack yesterday

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  39. BLACKENEDPLAGUE

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Ohio

40. gdodd12

gdodd12 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

I really enjoy this beer. I thought All day was dreadful. Tasted like watered down fruit.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.