Release Founders Double Trouble (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamant1912

adamant1912 Disciple (371) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ah for sure, hopefully it won't be on that few week aged when released!

2. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

Founders has been having a problem with the ink they use to date their bottles. They are aware of the problem and attempting to solve it.

mattvandyk likes this.
  3. johnsonni

johnsonni Initiate (165) Dec 27, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

All day IPA is gross IMO...would much rather get myself some daytime IPA if I'm going with a sessionable IPA

rjknyy likes this.
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (510) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I find Daytime a waste of money and below average personally. All Day IPA fresh or Short's Prolonged Enjoyment take the cake for me.

BleepBloopBlap and szmnnl99 like this.
  5. johnsonni

johnsonni Initiate (165) Dec 27, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'd love to try the short's and at the end of the day...I'd rather enjoy a full IPA

6. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (213) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

For those of you in the area...

I had their Centennial in a firkin dry hopped the same way, and that was amazing. Can't imagine how good this'll be.

7. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (120) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

I was underwhelmed. Maybe I'm missing something. Just picked up a 4 pack and poured a cold one into a glass. Hops tasted off. I would rather have a Sierra Nevada topedo, celebration or hoptimum. Or a nugget nectar. Maybe someone can fill me in on what I'm missing. I know palates vary widely, but did not enjoy.

8. steebo777

I would say this is quite possibly the best it has tasted yet. I know the recipe doesn't change but hops vary year to hear and the beautiful mango grapefruit characteristics of this are out of control. Did a side by side with Hoptimum and this was hands down better.

9. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (505) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

DT= bright, crisp, citrus, robust

Hoptimum= bitter, full bodied, pine/resin

Both are good but so different--prefer DT

4Socialanxiety, BigCheese and ESeab like this.
  10. yeahitsRUST

yeahitsRUST Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 North Carolina

Where in NC are you? I haven't seen Hoptimum yet... I'm bummed.

11. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (391) Jan 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I’ve been drinking headys for over a month like every other day...think the 2le T is not to far off in satisfying ones soul or hop addiction...certainly gonna get some more

12. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (505) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Charlotte--fairly easy to get

13. ressling

ressling Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Georgia

Same. And it definitely tastes better the fresher it is! I have a bottle from a year ago, and I plan on doing a side-by-side comparison.

ESeab likes this.
  14. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Just picked up a four pack and a bottle of Doom today.

15. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

My personal favorite IPA Founders makes along with Harvest Ale. Had this on tap a couple days ago and it was fantastic. The citrus hops really help balance out the high alcohol so it's not just an insane amount of bitterness with high alcohol content.

HumphreyLee and surfcaster like this.
  16. Zbyler

Zbyler Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Connecticut

I'm with you there, very watery IMO as well.

17. Sparty2014

Sparty2014 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Michigan

Founders is my favorite brewery but it is because of their stouts and their porter.

Double Trouble is an excellent IPA but their are other ones I like better, and some of those are available year round.

18. ShreddedThumb

ShreddedThumb Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2012 Michigan

It's ubiquitous in Michigan stores, just like Breakfast Stout was. I thought Double Trouble was pretty good.

19. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,474) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Where'd you find it in NY?

20. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (368) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I couldn't find any last year but a bar 5 minutes from my house had 1 bottle left and I'd never had it before. By the end of the bottle, I was hugging the glass. Soooo delicious. Gonna try to buy a case this year.

Still want to get some Double Trouble as soon as I graduate and get out of Tennessee next weekend.

21. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

S
    Saratoga Springs

22. JDD419

JDD419 Aspirant (233) Apr 14, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Just bought a case of this and 3 bottles of doom.
    I think this beer was really good and has a lot of great flavor. It's been in the stores in NW Ohio since mid April and still pretty easy to get.

23. biga7346

biga7346 Aspirant (295) Jun 19, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They made more breakfast stout this year, remember that Founders (like everybody else) has expanded their brewing capacity. My local shop got cases and cases.

24. geoffpm

geoffpm Aspirant (274) Sep 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader Subscriber

The new double trouble has forever changed my views on Founders. Great DIPA, in the same category of all the famous DIPAs. A lil sweet on the finish but great hop character.

25. JDD419

Beer Trader

There is still 3 or 4 cases left of FBS at the store by my house.

26. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Michigan

Curious where you're seeing it. I live in Kalamazoo and would've expected to see it on the shelf by now, but no dice.

27. mcrago

mcrago Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

I'm going to have to side with the group that likes this beer. I've had Centennial and All Day IPA, and truth be told, Double Trouble is soooo much better.

However, don't misunderstand what I am saying. It's a very good IPA, but in my opinion, doesn't rank with the highly ranked, highly desired IPAs and DIPAs out there. It is also a bit pricey at $13.99 for a 4-pack. If you're lucky enough to get Sculpin in your area (Ohio, do you hear me?), that is a MUCH better option to Double Trouble for the price and you get 6 bottles instead of 4.

28. mcrago

mcrago Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

Huh?

29. JDD419

Beer Trader

I just got 2 bottles of sculpin I'll drink them side by side and see which is better. I want to say Sculpin was $14.99 a six and DT was $11.99 a four

30. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Initiate (62) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

That comment was in regards to Centennial that was possibly past its drink by date.

31. Hoptimus-Prime

Hoptimus-Prime Disciple (339) Dec 7, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The price comparison in VA is a little more balanced ..Sculpin 6 pack being $16 while a 4 pack of DT is $9.99, so Bang for the buck here is DT imo.
    I really like both of them, but I am noticing as of late that Sculpin is becoming inconsistent, some bottles taste very metallic. Have you noticed that? I actually prefer Big eye over Sculpin these days.

32. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

Double Trouble is supposed to cost around 10$ for a 4 pack. Sure price gouging in respective areas can influence peoples tastes I guess

33. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,474) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

It's $14 here in NY, which is standard.

34. steebo777

$9-$10 per 4pack in SE Michigan.

35. Ant7780

Ant7780 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Michigan

I love this beer. Last year I could walk into almost any store and buy this for a few months. This year I have to chase it around to different stores and get store owners to hold it for me... pretty frustrating (and I live in Michigan!). I have a bomber of Doom, and I want to do a tasting but Double Trouble has been too hard to get!

I think I scored some for this afternoon, if the guy comes through for me.

Wish me luck!

36. ShreddedThumb

ShreddedThumb Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2012 Michigan

I'm in Lansing. Most stores and even some smaller party stores have four-packs. Some are selling single bottles.

37. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

A ton of this dropped in Texas (Austin) yesterday. Seems to be $12 everywhere.

38. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Tried it for the first time yesterday. I loved it, pretty unique from what I've been drinking lately

39. opothecary

opothecary Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2009 New York

Around $11 in Rochester, NY if you know where to look (at the places that treat their customers right)

40. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I think I like Double Trouble more than Stone Enjoy By (drinking them both at same freshness level).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More