Founders KBS Twin Cities

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by GopherPharmer, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Mista

Mista Nov 10, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

and i blinked and missed it......

Penguin3200 and FrostyTiger like this.
  2. BarrelAgedBarry

BarrelAgedBarry Feb 27, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I've had no luck locating any in the south metro. I'm at work during the day and all of the stores I stopped at on the way home sold out or weren't getting any bottles of it. Keep an eye out for my thread, "KBS virgin ISO 1 bottle."

3. sergiosamgenio

sergiosamgenio May 31, 2011 Minnesota

Realize that not everyone works 9-5. If it was an evening release, people who work nights would be upset it wasn't released during the day. NO ONE WINS!

What you SHOULD be upset about are people like XmnwildX12 who actually hoard it for themselves not letting others get it. He said it himself that he already bought four 4pks! When stores are getting only one case each, why does one person feel entitled to get almost the entire case?

4. dc55110

dc55110 Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

What amazes me is that I must be the only person who works during the day and rarely has any trouble tracking down a bottle/four pack/six pack/etc... of the latest "must have" on my way home from work. I never go out of my way and only occasionally call ahead. Unless you walk to work or only have a five minute commute, you have to pass a dozen liquor stores during your drive. Don't hit the most popular spots, try second and third tier stores.
    Now I do have a 20+ mile commute each direct (drive a car that gets nearly 40mpg) and have several routes I can take, each leading me past different liquor stores. If I make two stops, it may add 15 minutes to my trip home. I'm not wasting hours of my evening or cutting out of work early to track this stuff down. I simply watch the boards here to see where things seem to be showing up (and at what time of the day) and hit the store(s) that are most likely to still have what I want. I will hit stores that charges more than most for releases, if I want something bad enough, knowing that I stand my best chance of finding what I'm looking for.

maximum12 and Mnmaverick like this.
  5. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

They should change their screen name to Mr.Dickmove.

6. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Feb 19, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I believe XmnwildX12's post was referencing four 4pks of Peruvian Morning not KBS.

XmnwildX12 likes this.
  7. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

What about beer events at bars that state at like 3-4pm on a random Monday or Tuesday? Always seems weird to me. Wrong day and too early.

Revenant likes this.
  8. FrostyTiger

FrostyTiger Feb 8, 2013 Minnesota

Umm. You already posted earlier in this thread and said it wasn't worth chasing down. So, why do you care what people do with it? Just curious. BUSTED.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  9. sergiosamgenio

Just re-read. That was PM! My bad.

Revenant likes this.
  10. Mista

Mista Nov 10, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Grab the torches and pitch forks and lets find this bugger!

oh wait it's just beer, no need to get all riled up. Kind of a dick move to call him out like that especially when it wasn't even true.

11. sergiosamgenio

Just saying people should share and not hoard!

12. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Dec 23, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I believe if you look at XmnwildX12's post a little closer he was talking about four 4 packs of Peruvian Morning. I was able to score a 4 pack of KBS myself by building a good relationship with a manager at a store. I find that's the easiest way for me to get a limited release.

13. Mnmaverick

Mnmaverick Mar 23, 2013 Minnesota

My thoughts exactly. Checked one place over lunch on Monday and scored 2 bottles. Checked my local MGM on my way home (2 mins from my house) and got another. Wasn't all that tough, and I work 8-5.

14. sergiosamgenio

I believe if you look a little closer, you'll notice that I realized that and apologized. Pobodys Nerfect!

15. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Is this like lonewolfcry and his 32 bottles of BA Bigfood?

I kid...

16. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Jul 15, 2008 Minnesota

The other factor at play, and people are hesitant to say it, is all of us traders who feel they owe it to their trading partners to hook them up or throw it in as a kickass extra. If you have more than one of those people, you're likely taking a few bottles away from locals in order to secure your status as a killer trader. I'm not saying this is a reprehensible practice, just that it adds to the local scarcity.

EDIT: I say "us traders," though I'm not currently an active one. I would consider myself in the same obsessed category, however.

17. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

A hoarder is a hoarder. I don't care if they are picking up 20 4-packs of KBS or chasing down a truck of Chestnut Hill.

18. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

I have gotten a decent amount, not a TON, but an adequate amount. I haven't chased any trucks. and I am sharing/hooking up people whom have missed out.

19. BarrelAgedBarry

BarrelAgedBarry Feb 27, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I agree with you completely! I never have trouble locating the "must haves," however I can't seem to locate KBS in the east/south metro. Blue Max sold out in like 20 minutes around noon, I had no chance.

20. mnphish

mnphish Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

2nd and 3rd tier stores rarely get limited stuff like this. They only sell it to the big boys. If you stumbled upon KBS you are lucky. I've called numerous spots, went out of my way, and still only have a couple bottles.

21. BeerBuyerBill

BeerBuyerBill Jul 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I can't believe I'm typing this.....We saved our KBS (not much) to sell this Saturday. I'll be putting it out at some RANDOM time Saturday morning. Don't ask when, cause I don't know when....It will be ready to sell when it's ready. I might start doing this more often with the limited release stuff. I feel for the M-F 9-5er's out there.
    What say the angry masses? Good Idea or Bad?
    Bill - F44

22. DoctorRock

DoctorRock May 13, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

The one's that get some will say it was a great idea, the one's who don't will say it was a bad idea.

I reckon you'll have a bunch of dudes just walking around the store with one eye on you all morning until you put it out. Then WHOOOOSH! Gone.

Mnmaverick and KWMiles like this.
  23. GopherPharmer

GopherPharmer Feb 19, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

When I started this thread I had no idea it would grow to this size. But to answer the question, I honestly think this is a good idea. I was fortunate enough that my fiancé had M-W off and was able to get 12 KBS (otherwise I would have completely struck out) and I have hooked up other BAs who weren't so lucky with over half of what I got. I was one of the people who showed up at your store at 5am when you did the cellar sale and I was so glad you did it on a Saturday and advertised it in advance because I was able to plan ahead and get some of the brews I have been hunting for a long time. Those who work weekends most likely (and this is just an assumption) have some time on weekdays to go get the good stuff when it is released. Furthermore, if you let people know when it is available hopefully they can either try to attend or ask a friend to go for them (obviously that's not always true). This is just my opinion, but either way I hope this thread has given some fellow BAs a place to get some KBS, let people know about their bunk PM, or realize that this is just beer and there are plenty of other dilemmas that we can focus our time on. Cheers everyone!

Mnmaverick and Curt1 like this.
  24. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'd like the idea better if you posted via social media at the time you're putting the beer out. This gives local customers the best shot. Personally, I'm not a big fan of random. JMO. The plan as is, I fear, will only assure that you'll have a bunch of bearded lurkers hanging around the store all morning ;)

25. sean_mpls

sean_mpls Sep 11, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I was planning on picking up some some things in the cheese shop for a party that night so...good idea? ;)

26. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

If anyone locally has a King Henry they'd be willing to give up for a 4 pack of this year's KBS plus a Cherry Rye, I'd be interested.. been trying to track one down for quite some time, to no avail so far.

mothman likes this.
  27. BierVogel

BierVogel Oct 29, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Bill, those of us who can't sneak out during the day and who have struck out otherwise appreciate your efforts!

28. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Dude - were you the guy I shared the Peruvian Morning with in my tent?
    Those were the days...when a Peruvian Morning that I owned tasted fantastic instead of crappy!

Penguin3200 likes this.
  29. tallhophead

tallhophead Mar 13, 2013 Florida

ISO KBS FT Hunahpu

30. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

I'm not even going to try to post that I have a BCBCS & 8 KBS that I would do an IP for a BA 9000.

I'm not going to because I would be in the wrong forum... I would post that in the ISO: FT: trade forum

31. hardy008

hardy008 Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Subscriber

For the most part, this has been my experience too. I miss out on some things, but can usually get what I want without too much inconvenience.

32. tharreld

tharreld May 7, 2010 Montana

How many have you picked up?

33. GopherPharmer

GopherPharmer Feb 19, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yep that would be me, thanks again for the beer and the propane heater! Hoping the PM I got after that day isn't crappy but I guess time will tell, probably just trying to deny the inevitable.

34. dc55110

dc55110 Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

A year or two ago, you would have been right, now 2nd and 3rd tier stores most certainly do get these releases. It is part of the reason things are so thin spread. Two years ago a rep from a distributor may have pushed "craft" a little bit to these places, now just about everyone of these has a small "craft" section and a sign in the window advertising as such. Now, do everyone of them get all the limited releases? Of course not, but they do get some, often more than you'd think.

Everyone has an opinion on how the stores that do get these releases should make them available to the public. Most seem to feel the way that guarantees them the best shot a getting it, is the way it should be done. I just don't understand that mentality. If you want something bad enough, do what YOU need to do to get it. Otherwise get over the feeling that the world needs to cater your needs, because it doesn't and won't.

If you got a bottle, or two, or three, or more stop complaining, you got some. If you didn't get any, stop complaining and blaming horders and truck chasers, they aren't screwing you out of any thing. It was never yours to begin with. It seems that this is the new reality with releases. There will not be enough to go around, many people will miss out on releases. There will not be enough for us to stock our cellars a case deep with every release anymore. There will not be enough to send to your three best trading partners anymore. This is just the way it's going to be. Get used to it and get over it, or move on.

hamham, Ish1, lonewolfcry and 8 others like this.
  35. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Jan 15, 2013 Minnesota

you can't win them all guys, you will drive yourself crazy chasing these limited releases that happen every few weeks it seems now. Just build good relationships at your bottle shops and find good trading partners or friends that are willing to share. You cannot stop truck chasers and hoarders or blame shop owners for selling out their beer in 20 minutes. it is what it is, even thought it is fantastic beer...remember it is just beer. life will go on. just be thankful we live in the land of surly, steel toe, town hall .....etc.

hardy008 and Mnmaverick like this.
  36. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

DC55110 for President of BA.

37. incutrav

incutrav Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

It's pretty obvious that those bastards in North Korea are somehow to blame for all of this.

Cyclone8 likes this.
  38. mnphish

mnphish Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

I'm a n00b to BA and don't know what it was like in previous years but all I will say is that I was not expecting this release to be this difficult. I'm very thankful to have scored a few bottles.

39. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

Rapids liquors in Coon Rapids just put them out 2 bottle limit.

40. timenjoysbeer

timenjoysbeer Nov 14, 2007 Minnesota

LOUD NOISES!

Stinson is releasing their allotment Tuesday night, although it will probably have gone bad by then. ;)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe