Founders Mothership Series: BA Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Cibsie, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (164) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
    It’s hard to imagine our Imperial Stout getting any more complex than it already is. Well, until you introduce it to a bourbon barrel. We did just that and out emerged a gorgeous sipper featuring all the warm and roasted characteristics you love in a thick stout with the added richness of oak and vanilla notes from the barrel-aging. A beautiful beast of a beer. ABV TBD.

Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout will be released exclusively in both taprooms on January 23, 2019 as part of the kickoff to Cellar Raid. It will be available on draft and in 6-pack bottles.

Mothership only, unfortunately. Maybe it's their way of getting back at those of us complaining about the CBS format because they know we all want this.

2. waltari

waltari Initiate (63) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Bastards! why not making this one part of the BA series?

3. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (246) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

That's bullshit! With so many people asking for it, why wouldn't you distribute it? Yeah, god forbid you release it as your NEW Barrel-Aged Series beer. People were hoping for this one as December's last BA release. NOPE! We got CBS in 750 mL...again. Okay, maybe they'll release it as the first BA Series of 2019. NOPE! Good job Founders, good job! :angry:

#3 DISKORD, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  4. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,243) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

They likely did not produce enough to support distribution across their entire distribution footprint, hence a taproom only release.

5. DISKORD

Yeah, but it was retired! That means they should've had plenty of it to barrel-age. The only way I'm okay with is, if a lot of it went bad (got "infected"). And because of it, decided to do a brewery-only release. I'm so appalled by this decision. And I'm sure many others are as well. Instead, what we get now from the Barrel-Aged Series is two awesome beers: KBS and Backwoods Bastard. The rest are some shitty barrel-aged IPAs and underwhelming repeats. Whatever happened to their creativity?

EDIT: If it's so limited, why not release it in 750 mL format? It's not even in 4, but 6pks! Maybe the OP is right. Maybe it's their middle finger to all of us who bitched about last and this year's CBS format. Especially with 26 other countries getting it in 12oz/4pk format.

#5 DISKORD, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. Jaycase

Trader

Perhaps barrel availability or enough barrel space may have been a limiting factor? With all of their dstributed BA beers (KBS, CBS, etc) maybe logistically the timing did not work to support a nationally distributed BA FIS this time as well. I'm as disappointed as anyone but hopeful we'll see it at some point.

DISKORD likes this.
  7. DISKORD

I don't think it's that. Look how many barrels were wasted this year on shitty IPAs.

MeBeerGood, rypkr, NonicPanic and 4 others like this.
  8. Jaycase

Trader

That's what I meant. Barrels were already allocated to other 'tasty' beers. :wink:

DISKORD likes this.
  9. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (101) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I'm guessing they didn't want to do back to back barrel aged stouts in the series.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  10. Junior

Junior Disciple (343) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Not hopping on this hype train.

11. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (48) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

Jeez, finally it's released, in six packs nonetheless, and still complaints. I am quite excited for this! Finally in bottles, even better not in 750's!

12. Jaycase

Trader

I believe most people are/would be complaining it is not nationally distributed i.e., they would like to purchase this but cannot.

13. DragonflyJones

Yeah I hear that, but at least trading is an option for people on here.

14. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (131) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

Wondering if they're trying to manufacture some hype here. They know how much we all love this beer (especially after they discontinued it), they have heard us all clamoring for it to be barrel-aged, maybe they're hoping this will turn out the lines they haven't had since KBS 2015. Pump a little juice back into the brand. Hoping that leads to a steady increase in production in subsequent years. But yeah now I gotta figure out how to trade for this. They know exactly what they're doing here.

15. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (678) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Crazy funny replies.

Land of entitlement this country is.

I will stop here before I keep going and get banned

Enjoy

16. DISKORD

Brewery-only release is a lot different from their massive distribution foot print. Most people won't have access to this beer. I can see them doing it with any other beer, but not this one. Especially when they know better what their customers want and ask for. "You asked, we listened!" Nope, not this time.

Harrison8 and HopsAreDaMan like this.
  17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (544) Mar 28, 2009 California

Interesting to make this so exclusive when it seems like all their releases are widely available. Maybe they saw some hype for KBS and CBS go down so they wanted to make this one more exclusive. Or they just didn’t have a lot or wanted to offer something special for the local market. Whatever the reason I am bummed because I love FIS but no longer trade. Hope they release this again and hits distro.

GreenBayBA, Harrison8 and DISKORD like this.
  18. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,891) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

Why the hell should I have to trade for something that might not even be as good as the widely-available base beer they chose to discontinue?

Even if they release it to a larger audience I really have to have a discussion with myself about whether I want to continue to support them with my wallet. Were it not for Sumatra Mountain, I'd be pretty much done with them at this point for packaged purchases. I miss FIS, but not enough to jump through a bunch of hoops for something that may not even be improved by some barrel time (nor did I personally feel it needed anything added).

19. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (544) Mar 28, 2009 California

I am not jumping through any hoops to get this but I also don’t jump through hoops to get any beer. I do support founders as their porter and FBS are two of my favorite beers. If it’s available in my market and I don’t have to hunt for it I would pick it up. FIS doesn’t need barrel aging and would rather have FIS back as a yearly seasonal than a BA version. However, if the barrel version is made In addition or occasionally in place of FIS then I would say variety is a good thing.

DISKORD and jakecattleco like this.
  20. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,891) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

I can get on board with this. FBS is still a favorite, but there's a greater abundance of solid breakfast stouts. Sumatra and FIS are their 'leaders in the clubhouse' for my preferences right now.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  21. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (323) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

FYI - Their Imperial Stout is being released in 2019.

22. Donco

Donco Devotee (437) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Road Trip in January to see my family in Detroit!

23. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Disciple (398) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Premium

Glad I live where I do. Central Waters is producing some amazing barrel aged beers. Just saying, plenty of local b/a beers to satisfy my needs. I am realistic about what’s within reach.
    Something with such a limited release is no more than a giant promotional gimmick. Just part of doing business.

24. hornblower19

hornblower19 Initiate (102) Jan 7, 2006 Michigan

I'm not bummed, I live here. Join me for a pour at the tap room. One of the finer hangouts around the country!

25. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

This feels like sick payback. Oh, wait - someone already mentioned it.

Founder's Imperial Stout and Bell's Expedition Stout were two of the first stout packs I fell in love with. Only one of those two is available now, and with a BA version too. Guess I'll be purchasing even less in 2019. Point taken.

Looks like their Imperial Stout will hit distro this year. We'll see if I spring for it. It'll come down to price point for that one.

26. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I'm curious if it'll play out. Founder's is a big brewery, and a lot of the hyped, line releases are for small batch work. Although Boulevard sold out of their latest small batch release inside of an hour. I'll follow this one, but from a distance.

27. DISKORD

Next December, not this month.

Harrison8 likes this.
  28. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (563) Dec 12, 2014 California

Founders really not giving a fuck

rypkr and DISKORD like this.
  29. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (563) Dec 12, 2014 California

That's easy. Don't make any Barrel Runner and make BA Imperial Stout. Problem solved.

pjeagles and DISKORD like this.
  30. DragonflyJones

Thinking about it some more I think this is a way to try and hype Founders RIS back again. The base beer didn't exactly fly off shelves here, even it being seasonal. So they take it off a year, limit the BA bottles to brewery only, then I believe next winter the base beer hits again. So you basically have 2 years of no RIS with a limited BA version in between.

Nickwierda and DISKORD like this.
  31. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (140) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

10 case limit?

32. DISKORD

Hardly saw it on the shelves. Breakfast Stout on the other hand. I thought it was a year-round release, even before they went year-round with it. A lot of people prefer FIS over Bell's Expedition, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy and North Coast Old Rasputin. No need for any hype. It already has a huge following. That's why so many people were upset, when it was discontinued.

@landrew, are you serious about the 10 case limit?

33. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (164) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

It probably is a 10 case limit. That's what they do with all Mothership beers. I believe even Panther Cub.

34. DISKORD

So, it's not that limited then. Enough to distribute.

35. derftron

derftron Disciple (310) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

a limited distro BA Stout??? how original

Invinciblejets likes this.
  36. KBS

KBS Aspirant (290) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Panther Cub sold out in less than 2 hours from Detroit and the main Mothership sold out in a day plus a couple hours. Not enough to distribute.

DISKORD likes this.
  37. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,031) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Founders could give away gold bars and people would complain about having to carry something that weighs so much....

38. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (172) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

There seems to be a trend of founders not being in touch with their customer base! I have always been a huge fan but this after two years of CBS 750 mls is horse shit. Also let’s face it, other than better half, have there even any hits with the BA series? Frootwood? Lizard?? Barrel runner? Why waste the time and effort. It’s like a music artist making an artistic statement with an album everyone hates!! Play the hits!!!

39. rypkr

rypkr Champion (814) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I guess we can add Michigan to the hype-train-game...

"4.8/5 rDev +5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

No other Russian Imperial Stout comes even close to this one. It will be released in bottles, for the first time, on January 23rd 2019 and I will be there to purchase as many as they allow me to purchase.

204 characters

GlennFreeman, Yesterday at 05:57 PM Report"

DISKORD and Jaycase like this.
  40. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (428) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Rabble Rabble!