Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Founders Porter & Sweet Baby Rays BBQ

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by FedgE_The_Beer_Baron, Apr 8, 2013.

1. FedgE_The_Beer_Baron

I made a two pound smoked pork shoulder, pulled it then mixed in 3/4 bottle of Founders Porter and most if not all of a regular sized bottle of Sweet Baby Rays in the slow cooker. it turned out wonderful.

2. SerialTicker

Sweet Baby Ray's doesn't need anything to be wonderful. It's the best bottled BBQ sauce out there, after Devil Spit by Famous Dave's. ;)

I need to get around to making an FBS ice cream...

3. FedgE_The_Beer_Baron

that would be awesome. my sister made some chocolate pumpkin brownies with fbs for thanksgiving which also turned out great.

SerialTicker likes this.
  4. BuckeyeOne

I know what you mean. Mass-produced products available at corporate grocery chains are usually better than products made by small, independent producers. ;)

5. SerialTicker

I've had plenty of BBQ sauces from restaurants that are "house made" and most of them are underwhelming. You are aware that most BBQ sauces made by "Small, independent producers" have a "mass-produced product" BBQ sauce as their base, right?

If you're being sarcastic, then disregard that whole thing.

6. Andygirl

Did you smoke it or was it presmoked? Also, FBS makes excellent ice cream. I have made a simple recipe for it if you need one.

7. BuckeyeOne

What is your source for this information? BBQ sauce is very easy and fairly inexpensive to make. I have a hard time believing your assertion is true. There's a place just outside of Seattle (not quite the mecca of BBQ) that has over 800 different BBQ sauces, mostly from small, independent BBQ joints and producers. Why would a place use a mass-produced BBQ for a base? This really makes no sense.

8. SerialTicker

I've seen it on Food Network and other channels and heard it from a friend that used to work at a restaurant even before that. Just like when somebody makes some "special sauce" they'll use some no-name ketchup or tomato sauce out of a can as their base ... or use a bottle of Thousand Island with a couple extra ingredients thrown in and call it "house made".

I also just remembered that on BBQ Pitmasters, one of the best BBQers admitted that he uses bottled BBQ sauce as his base. Myron Mixon is the guy, I think ... or maybe it's somebody else. But some critically acclaimed BBQer said it, and he's won several BBQ championships.

9. SerialTicker

I figure it'd be something as basic as an FBS float, maybe with a bit of extra sugar or something added in. Mix with the vanilla ice cream and freeze. Then put whipped cream and a cherry on top. Sounds pretty tasty already...

If you're adventurous, I recommend Red Bull ice cream -- with Cheez-Its on top. The crunchy saltiness with the Red Bull-ness with the sweetness and the tastiness ... I don't know, I like it quite a bit.

...then again I like potato chips with coffee.

10. Andygirl

You might get ice crystal issues mixing like that. For sugar, a little brown sugar gives it a nice taste.

I like carmel with french fries, so I am OK with weird combos ;)

11. SerialTicker

...that actually sounds pretty good. sounds like it'd be kindofsortof like french fries in a Frosty. but not really. sort of.

any other recommendations?

12. BuckeyeOne

OK, OK. Fine. Mostly I was giving you shit for promoting the BMC of BBQ sauces, or maybe those are the Sam Adams of BBQ sauces.o_O

I make my own BBQ with Heinz ketchup and French's mustard as the base.

13. Andygirl

No, I tend to just make it up as I go. :) The carmel/fry thing is just my particular favorite.

SerialTicker likes this.
  14. SerialTicker

Devil Spit would probably be an equivalent of Sam Adams. Stuff's delicious. Famous Dave's pickles are also really good.

15. FedgE_The_Beer_Baron

I smoked it myself

16. FedgE_The_Beer_Baron

whats up with that recipe?

17. Andygirl

I'll bm it you when I get home.:)

18. Rons35

I'd like that fbs ice cream recipe please

19. Andygirl

Once I get to a computer where I can cut & paste the recipe, I'll send it over. Should be this evening :)

20. smutty33

Well,I love me some Sweet Baby Ray's and Founder's Porter.

May have to give this a go as soon as this weekend!
    Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

21. RedBeeron

Beer Trader

My biggest complaint with sweet baby ray's is the High Fructose Corn Syrup, which lead me to track down some clone recipe's. I actually made this tonight with a few tweaks to pair with some ribs i'll be smoking tomorrow:

1-1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar, packed
    1-1/4 cups Ketchup
    1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1/2 cup Water
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
    2-1/2 teaspoons Ground Mustard
    2 teaspoons Paprika
    1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
    1 teaspoon Black Pepper

First thing I did was leave out the water, as I already had the consistency I was aiming for. Next up I added about a tablespoon of the Chipotle Tabasco sauce, maybe about two tablespoons of chili powder, tablespoonish of garlic powder, couple splashes of liquid smoke, and rough chopped half a jalapeno and processed the shit out the mix with a stick/immersion blender. The base came out pretty damn close to the taste of sweet baby rays, but I was looking to add a little bite to the front end without leaving any burn on the back.

For something like a slowcooker pork shoulder, you could easily substitute the water with your FBS to get a thicker sauce than sweet baby rays + beer.

MickJ0nes likes this.
  22. FedgE_The_Beer_Baron

I never use water in the slow cooker. the meat is juicy enough to baste itself. never dries out and always extremely tender.

23. BuckeyeOne

If you're smoking your ribs, why would you add liquid smoke to your sauce?

Also, if your goal was to avoid HFCS, did you make sure the ketchup you used didn't have any?

24. RedBeeron

Beer Trader

In this case the liquid smoke was to add a greater depth of flavor as opposed to adding any sort of noticeable "smokiness". The ketchup and brown sugar flavors were still a little too contrasting for me and I used the last of my Worcester sauce so had to improvise. This sauce is also going to be used with burgers and chicken while the ribs are smoking, so I wasn't aiming for a one dimensional result.

Its been awhile since I've seen the HFCS free hunts brand ketchup, but the Heinz version is still on shelves out here. I've also dabbled in making my own using a tomato paste base, and can always go back to that if necessary.

25. BuckeyeOne

The improvising in lieu of Worcestershire makes sense, I guess. I bought a bottle of liquid smoke years ago when I first started teaching myself how to barbecue --- low and slow smoking. I realized that I didn't use it very often nor did I especially like the flavor when used with my meats. I had a friend who owns and is the master chef at a New Orleans-inspired restaurant tell me to forget the liquid smoke since everything I smoke and grill is done with charcoal and/or wood. I haven't used it since.

26. RedBeeron

Beer Trader

I'm running relatively low tech with a brinkman two top and smoker side box, so there are certain cuts of meat that are impractical for me to smoke, brisket being the main one. If I'm using the slow cooker of doing it in the oven ill add a little liquid smoke, but definitely agree that it can be overpowering in large quantities. I'll also mix a little in with ground beef if I'm making hamburger patties for the gas grill. It's a cheap and easy substitute for days like today where I have ribs going in the smoker and a pork shoulder going on my other charcoal grill.

27. BuckeyeOne

You need to get yourself one of these. I've got a brisket and 6 racks of ribs going. Plus, I'll smoke two filets of Copper River salmon on my Weber charcoal grill later.

[​IMG]

MickJ0nes likes this.
  28. RedBeeron

Beer Trader

Website? Getting married in october, i'll add it to the registry via Amazon :D

My setup is this
    [​IMG]

The smokebox doesnt handle wood well, so I'm tossing woodchips in every half an hour. Something like a brisket is just too much of a time committment, but the charcoal grill holds 9 racks of ribs, and i have 20lbs of pork shoulder in the other one. I do like having the gas grill to handle burgers/hot dogs/chicken breasts so I can churn food out while everything else goes.

29. BuckeyeOne

My wife bought this for me for Christmas two years ago. She did all the research, with help from the chef I mentioned previously. Here's where she ordered it: http://langbbqsmokers.com. They are all custom made. It cost as much to ship it here to Seattle as the smoker cost.

I used to have a Charbroil brand, similar to yours --- didn't do wood well, couldn't hold the heat well, and couldn't hold much meat. Here's a hint, though: get wood chucks rather than wood chips. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. should care it. Your Brinkman should be able to handle those.

I abandoned gas grills years and years ago. I found that getting charcoal going in a chimney only took 15 minutes --- and who doesn't have 15 minutes to spare for real wood flavor? I don't buy the convenience argument anymore.

Finally, to keep this beer related --- I love drinking Hale's Pale Ale with my BBQ.

BTW, you gots a real nice setup.

30. RedBeeron

Beer Trader

Real talk, I'm lusting after your smoker right now. I'll definitely mess around with wood chunks in prep for the Fourth. When I host a BBQ, I don't really have a solid start time, the meats ready when its ready, so for me it's convenient to fire up the propane and grill up a few burgers/dogs when a new wave of people show up.

And to also stay on topic, Bruery's berlinerseisss, Hottenroth, is one of my go-to beers to drink while everything's going. when it comes to pairing, I like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot for ribs (I glaze for the last fifteen minutes and don't sauce them after that), and a nice floral IPA (hop stoopid when I can't find Pliny) to mellow the acidity of my Carolina sauce for pulled pork. Wish I had access to the calibre of fish you have access to.

31. TheGoof

Beer Trader

DUDE. My gf made a Bacon Breakfast Stout Toffee topping for ice cream for me a few weeks ago. Absolutely amazing. I will try to get the recipe and report back.

32. TheGoof

Beer Trader

FedgE_The_Beer_Baron likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe