Founders Releases Marvelroast Imperial Golden Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, May 7, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,518) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., May 7, 2020 – Founders Brewing Co. has announced Marvelroast as the latest addition to the Limited Series lineup. Marvelroast was originally a Detroit Taproom favorite, and starts out as an Imperial Golden Ale enhanced with the addition of coffee, vanilla and cocoa nibs in the brewing process. But it doesn’t end there. A final dose of milk sugar lends a smooth and sweet finish, making this a delicious treat reminiscent of your favorite iced coffee drink.

[​IMG]

“Having two taprooms full of craft beer connoisseurs is a real blessing for our team. We get a lot of great ideas and feedback and are able to do a lot of experimentation as a result,” said Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. “When a new beer gets great response in our taprooms, the logical move is to try to find a home for it in our distribution lineup. That’s what happened with Marvelroast. I think the perfect balance of coffee, vanilla and cocoa are going to make this beer a real treat this summer.”

Marvelroast (ABV 8%) will have a retail price of $10/4-pack and will be available in 12-oz bottles as of July across the brewery’s 50-state distribution network. Please note that prices will vary by market. Marvelroast is preceded by 4 Giants IPA in the brewery’s Limited Series lineup. Stay tuned for ongoing information on yet-to-be-announced releases from Founders’ 2020 availability calendar.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 10 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a member of the Michigan Brewers Guild. For more information, visit foundersbrewing.com or follow Founders on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

###

Mbgreg, puck1225, StoutElk_92 and 5 others like this.
  2. craigbelly

craigbelly Meyvn (1,173) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society

Another one I'll miss because the company doing distro for Founders in my area are a absolutely horrible.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  3. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sounds delicious, can't wait.

KRug, ilikebeer03 and dukeandduke like this.
  4. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,307) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

So it is a so-called "White Stout". Only had a couple of those, but did enjoy, and Founders is spot on 95% of the time.

KRug, Junior and dukeandduke like this.
  5. DISKORD

DISKORD Devotee (438) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Hard pass!

GuyFawkes likes this.
  6. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,643) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Founders has a pretty good track record with coffee beers and at $2.50 a bottle for an 8% beer, I'll def give it a shot! Might be nice in the summer instead of a stout.

7. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (137) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

I think it's more like Regular Coffee from Carton Brewing, which isn't anything like a stout IMO.

BeastOfTheNortheast and Junior like this.
  8. bsp77

Society

I don't necessarily disagree, but the couple locals beers I had called White Stouts were golden beers that had chocolate, coffee and vanilla added to emulate some Stout-like flavors. I personally think it is dumb; the name is dumb at least as I liked the beers.

But this is the same industry that sticks "IPA" on the end of every imaginable color and ingredient now, so calling something a White Stout seems par for the course. Happy Founders steered away from that dumb label.

Shanex and Junior like this.
  9. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (351) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

*sigh* Again with the imperial...

10. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

This was released it as White Stout last May/June in the Detroit Taproom. It was pretty good. Nothing like a stout, IMO. Golden Ale is more appropriate.

DISKORD, KRug, Shanex and 1 other person like this.
  11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (457) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Do you think it’s worth $10/4 pack? Sounds pretty good.

Junior likes this.
  12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (485) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Instead of double?

thesherrybomber likes this.
  13. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Without a doubt.

KRug, Shanex, ClePaul and 1 other person like this.
  14. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (797) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

$60 a case I will pass......I did enjoy the Coffee pale ale they brewed a few years back, That was $10 a six pack here.

Enjoy

ClePaul and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  15. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (575) May 30, 2013 Ohio

Subtle sarcasm? You make it sound cheap for a golden ale... I get it has coffee and is an imperial. I don't know that we can put it in the bargain bin so fast though.

Zaphog likes this.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,989) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:rolling_eyes: So, it's not a "Golden Ale" at all.

17. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,549) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Would agree, regarding these ingredients but I'd buy it if given the chance. Pale Joe, in a similar style didn't let me down at all. Founders has the ability to nail many style tbh.

dukeandduke and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,643) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

No sarcasm. I just think it's a very reasonable price. Hopefully it tastes good...

beergorrilla, dukeandduke and ClePaul like this.
  19. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,047) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Founders very rarely (looking at you, Barrel Runner) misses. Will be grabbing one of these.

Mikecd234, dukeandduke and Shanex like this.
  20. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I was thinking it might be just the amber ale that @keithmurray has been looking for

21. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,851) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Same here. No 4 Giants for us and Rubeaus only hits half the state.

Shanex likes this.
  22. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,373) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Hmmm...from the sounds of it, its more of a coffee kinda beer. Either way, Founders is dead to me and I will no longer be purchasing their beer.

23. KRug

KRug Disciple (315) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

May I ask why?

24. bsp77

Society

Should I even ask why?

dukeandduke and KRug like this.
  25. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Serious?

26. bsp77

Society

Yes, I am.

I am aware of what happened. I am also aware that they reached agreement, Founders lost a lot of money at the time (paid their dues so to speak), and has since made big changes (donating Detroit taproom proceeds, hiring new diversity director with a proven track record).

I am pretty liberal and I temporarily boycotted them. But I also think many liberals send a terrible message when they ask others to change, but yet when they do make changes, we still punish them. So why would anyone want to change?

27. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (575) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I feel really guilty too sometimes... I think to myself..."Am I a bad person for not thinking about that? Or just have a boomers personality?" For better or worse, I assume worse. I don't weigh that into my equation at all. Also, you are correct. Hasn't that been settled? Why stone them to death?

dukeandduke likes this.
  28. ESHBG

Boycotts are a bit of an odd catch 22 to me because in the end you punish the lower level workers that typically have nothing to do with the issues. Fight hard to get the problem child(ren) out, demand change, all on board with that. But not buying a product and in turn keeping the lower level workers from feeding their families is a tough one. But then in most cases the only good way to vote is with your wallet so...

Anyway, I do think that this beer sounds delicious and it's always interesting when a beer's look doesn't match its taste so I will definitely be picking this up.

ClePaul, dukeandduke and Shanex like this.
  29. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (285) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Leave it to Founders to make a white stout...

30. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (137) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

5 comedy points.

31. keithmurray

Do you need to ask why?

32. keithmurray

The way I see it, they did very little to change things. Yes, they settled the case (which is just paying the individual to go away, basically), but fundamentally, everything there is the same. The same jerk who when deposed, made the comment that "he didnt know if the plaintiff was black or not, since I haven't seen his DNA testing results" is still in the fold and that was more than enough reason for me to never buy or drink their beer again.

33. bsp77

Society

So you are exactly the kind of person that makes us liberals look like assholes. They DID publicly state their changes, and I mentioned a couple.of them. But you continue with your cancel culture, along with @thesherrybomber, who just likes things and doesn't speak for himself.

And that jerk is no longer with them, so...

tzieser and waltari like this.
  34. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,349) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Well, Founders is brewed for us! :sunglasses:

Looking forward to this pour. 4 Giants has been an excellent discovery on my end this year.

Junior likes this.
  35. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Weren't lower level workers a part of the problem, in this case? I didn't know boycotts were meant to target only the folk on top.

From the looks of things, they still have plenty of loyal customers.

Not sure what politics have to do with it. I think it looks worse for you to publicly attack a black male for not supporting a company that has fostered that sort of environment in the first place.

Isn't someone free to choose where they spend their money? I'm not entirely comfortable spending money with them, myself, especially after how they handled things when the news first came out.

36. keithmurray

Im an asshole for choosing where and where not to spend my money? I'll go ahead and spread my cheeks for the supporters of Founders to see, then! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't consider myself a liberal or conservative. But for me, they didn't do enough to change the culture there. I choose to no longer buy their product. Lots of quality beers out there to be had.
    Just like the types who boycotted the NFL because of black players kneeling (same crowd who continues to buy/drink Founders) stick to their beliefs, I will stick to mine. Thanks

37. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (797) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Interesting........I do boycott a bunch of things and places........It gets tough sometimes......I was not a fan of what happened here but at the end of the day I have bought beer from Founders. I do think about this when I have made a purchase but life moves on.

I think that when I stop going to a local spot my voice is actually heard and I could make a difference. I will tell the shop why I am not going to spend money and then I dont. I am also able to give second chances if I hear things have changed.

At some point to boycott(Founders as an example) I would need to boycott any place that has poor practices and that limits too much.

It would be great if everything was great but it’s not. There are some places that seem to be making poor choices in this virus world and I can go elsewhere.

Enjoy

Junior likes this.
  38. ESHBG

Typically boycotts stem from something that occurred at the top of the house; company cultures start there and resonate downward, it doesn't work the other way around. But my overall point is if a company has 100 people, and 10 are a problem, why punish the other 90? I've worked in toxic cultures unfortunately and usually there are good people speaking up and fighting against it but HR/internal investigations can take a long time to complete so from the outside it may seem like nothing is happening but that is far from the case.

39. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,795) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You know that how?

pjeagles, bsp77 and dukeandduke like this.
  40. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Perhaps if I knew the employees personally, or were a long time, diehard fan, it would be different. As it is, I had to go out of my way just to try their beers, which I've only had a couple. The thing about numbers... we have no idea, and the larger the company, the harder it is to see them as the "little" guy. Would those standards apply to craft breweries who sell out?

I don't see it as punishment. We're not out to shut them down. God knows how many others have had similar experiences as the man behind the lawsuit. They're probably hurting more from the virus and economy these days. That said, judging by some of the replies, they've gained a few more fans to make up for us boycotters.

ESHBG likes this.