Founders Summer '14 Backstage Series Release - Dissenter Imperial IPL

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by riemster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Does anyone else wish they would move the Backstage stuff to 22oz. bombers?

2. Tee2Grn

Tee2Grn Aspirant (245) Nov 6, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

I wish they would move it to 12oz four packs

3. HelpMeBloody

HelpMeBloody Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Rhode Island

IPLs are not that new of a brewing style, and they sure weren't the first or latest to popularize it. I find their self satisfaction a bit off putting.

willbm3, marleyr and DanE like this.
  4. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,810) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Sam Adams has littered the shelves with their IPL, so an IPL is not hard to find either.

OT, are IPLs like IPAs in that nobody will want them after they are a month old? If so, a lot of stores may be unhappy when they can't move these for $12.99 in the first month.

TheBrewViking likes this.
  5. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

a four pack of mass rising is about the same price and I will be very impressed if this thing holds a candle to mass rising

6. jefffalcone

I enjoy IPLs and I'd like to try this one, but the price is a little out of line if you ask me. I'll probably pass

Providence likes this.
  7. jefffalcone

750ml is 3 oz more that a 22. Why do you want 3 less oz?

Lordquackingstic and PaulyB83 like this.
  8. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Oops, guess it just seems like a lot more when I drink a 750ml by myself vs. a bomber.

9. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Quoting sierranevadabill about one of their beers...

"Not better or worse, just different"

Same applies here as with all beers, no need to over think a beer release? It's beer...

10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I got that as an extra in a trade and thought it was probably one of the best IPL's I've had. I haven't had a ton, and it's not a style I seek, but it was great.

11. danieelol

danieelol Savant (956) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

More to Aus please. We love you guys! Backwoods Bastard is the best beer that has ever been available in this country.

jRocco2021 and PaulyB83 like this.
  12. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

Don't be like me and neglect to buy it until it's gone! I get it on tap a lot... it's really tasty and I've heard they plan to make it again. But definitely grab it soon! It really is the tastiest smoked beer I've ever had, as the smokey qualities are not offensive.

13. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

I'm glad to see this. I do, however, think 4-packs of the pilot beers would be cool. Or 750s, but maybe as a separate series from Backstage... or do a reserve series separately where they brew whatever they want still, but with no set schedule. Panther Cub, Newaygo County Cherry, Looking Glass, All Night IPA, CBS, Death, Hand of Doom, Smoked Porter, etc..

steebo777 likes this.
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Would be too much work for little return. Easier to keep that stuff draft only for brewery or local places.

steebo777 likes this.
  15. Mbennett

Mbennett Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2011 New York

you guys are still comparing bomber prices to 4/6 pack prices?

terrapinfan88 likes this.
  16. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Founders should just get rid of the Backstage Series in general, people have too high expectations.

If Stone or New Belgium released a bomber of a Mango Habenero beer or an IPL, people would bat an eye.

Instead, there's nothing but disappointment over the unrealistic expectation that Founders can produce enough CBS to cover their distro footprint.

mjshearer1, jRocco2021 and Shmuffalo like this.
  17. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (770) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I'll pick up a bottle for sure. I've been getting really interested in IPL's as of late. Jack Abbey makes some killer ones. I wonder if this is anywhere near was Mass Rising is. Worth checking out for sure.

18. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Crusader (765) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan

I compare the price of an ounce of beer to the price of an ounce of beer. I don't collect bottles, I drink beer.

19. Mbennett

Well then you must not buy bombers...ever...which leads me to wonder what you are doing in thread discussing a bomber.

20. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

I'd love to try it if it were anywhere close to being reasonably priced.

21. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Not a bomber

SpAiReArGsEonNE and szmnnl99 like this.
  22. fritts211

fritts211 Initiate (154) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee

Yeah, I don't get it. What is he dissenting about? How is he a dissenter? Is he dissenting against freaking curfew or something? WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!?

I'm probably still going to drink it though. Maybe it will all become clear at the end of the bottle? :astonished:

23. jiggidy

jiggidy Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 Michigan

It's funny how many people complain about a beer before it's even released. I always buy at least 1 bottle of the new beer in the backstage series. I will probably only pick up 1 bottle since Wolverine Brewing has a pretty solid IPL. I will give it a shot and if I love it then I will go pick up more.

hopfenunmaltz and A2HB like this.
  24. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (279) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Agreed. Founders is one of my favorite breweries, and I trust them to make outstanding beers even when I don't particularly love the style. I will only get at least 1 bottle of any backstage I can.

25. core42

core42 Zealot (556) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I'm sorry but this kind of logic is not welcome at BA

slym, Boca-X and beardown2489 like this.
  26. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Who is that?

27. josmickam

josmickam Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Georgia

According to the label, it's an Imperial Imperial Pale Lager. I'd be pumped to get a bottle!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  28. AFchino

AFchino Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2014 Ohio

I'll hold my kudos or FU to founders until I try it...

29. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,679) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Imperial India Pale Lager

30. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

He seems to be crop-dusting.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  31. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Gulo Gulo is very tasty

32. jcos

jcos Aspirant (212) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I guess since this is not an imperial pale ale, an imperial stout or a sour many will whine.

I'll be glad to try this.

33. Mbennett

22oz / 25oz ... in terms of pricing they are both overpriced compared to 6 pack pricing when looking at the price per oz. everyone knows this yet we still see responses comparing 6 pack price points to 22 oz/25 oz bottle price points for some reason. Is $12 too much for an IPL? Yes it is -- simple solution; don't buy it. For me, I will buy it because Founders is my favorite brewery and I'm willing to overpay for a product that I am interested in.

So many of you think for some reason you are entitled and deserve what YOU want to see produced, and if a brewery doesn't make a style of beer that attracts you, the brewery is criticized.

Its really bewildering to see people criticize Founders for creating a beer that is a new style for them. It seems that unless they produce a huge barrel aged stout, they are ripped apart. Kudos to Founders for making what they want, and not selling out.

#73 Mbennett, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  34. Mbennett

LOL "another beer to be disappointed in" that you have yet to try. Oh wait, you said your not trying to shut a beer down before you try it, so I guess that makes it ok.

35. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,783) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Was it the one I sent you?!

36. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,457) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Not going to buy this.

#76 Stevedore, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  37. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Since IPL is one of my favorite styles and Founders is one of my favorite brewers, I would absolutely pick this up if I see it at a reasonable price but I certainly am not going out of my way to find it.

Might rip the label off before I drink it though. That label....

38. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

No goof that was a wheat beer you sent lol it wasn't terrible had a great nose but the flavor punch I was hoping for wasn't there . The blueberry oatmeal stout I had was buffalo bills just a bitter unenjoyable mess imo

PA-Michigander likes this.
  39. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

The more I think about a blueberry Founders Breakfast Stout the more I decide that the next Bottle I get of it is going in my coffee press with some blueberries @PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander likes this.
  40. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (279) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Seriously, dude, that's gotta be good.

kerry4porters likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.