Founders Ultimate Oktoberfest BBA Marzen

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Aug 13, 2022.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,686) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

At Binny's.
    I agree with quality over quantity, but the Founder's is an unknown entity -- thus a gamble of $15 that could go to the known quality beers I like.

Binny's had Paulaner Festbier 12-packs on sale for the same price (quality & quantity), maybe a dollar more -- easy choice.

#41 steveh, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  2. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Well, you said not everything needs to be barrel aged and then you said bourbon must be barrel aged. I mean, I put your quotes right in my post.
    :confused: I guess the confusion is that I was talking about beer being barrel aged and thought you were as well. Obviously beers are aged in bourbon (and other spirits) barrels. So when I said nothing NEEDS to be aged I was referring to beers.

#42 DrStiffington, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Beer_Economicus and arizcards like this.
  3. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,469) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

Please get one. I would love to hear your thoughts. I just posted a review. Short take: not as sweet as buffalo Trace bourbon.

4. steveh

Society

Sorry, probably can't oblige. Too many other choices for me to spend my money on -- my favorite Oktoberfest (probably my favorite beer ever) hasn't hit stores yet, and that will probably take budget precedence.

5. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (2,155) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

I could see 7-8% or so, but the 10% seems a bit excessive. I don't know if you can really appreciate a lager's flavors and nuances at 10%. I don't want it overpowered by booze and whiskey flavors. Not buying a pack, but Heck, I'm curious. I'll try it in a single if I see it.

6. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,935) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I feel the same way about it here as I do about barrel aging any beer. If the barrel compliments the flavors of the beer, I consider it well done. Doesn’t matter the style. Of course there’s going to be a stronger alcohol presence here than in say, a 5-6% lager. Just as there’s more alcohol presence in a 10% barrel aged stout than a non barreled one. To me it’s about if the brewer can do it well. Founders has proved to me over the course of the years that they know their way around a barrel with many more hits than misses. Therefore, I take my chances here. Cheers.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,827) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That might be a great name for their next barrel aged beer!

Maybe you should trademark it now and get some Royalties from Founders!?! :money_mouth:

Cheers!

8. BigIronH

Society Trader

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already trademarked to be honest. LOL

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Crusader (721) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I got the evil 4 pack today. Will have to report if it makes me projectile vomit later.

10. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I would love to see your avatar picture recreated with a 10% Barrel Aged Lager in that mug :grin:

How different might it be…:joy:

11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Crusader (721) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

REPORT: Scarily drinkable for a 10abv BA Oktoberfest... Which I'm sure is what they were going for. Malty, sweet, not that barrel forward.

12. BigIronH

Society Trader

[​IMG] Pours an orange hued amber with a half finger of white suds quickly reducing to an almost still liquid with light streaming carb.

Nose is sweet corn, roasted malts, citrus rind, burnt sugar, and a peppery undertone. Some vanilla may be present but very subtle.

Taste is crisp but sweet malt on the front. Not overly sweet but actually rather pleasant. Some citrus fruit in there. Subtle vanilla and burnt oak. Finishing with an alcohol undertone. Feels full and chewy but the carbonation is just right and cuts through it nicely.

The barrel and beer flavors are balanced and you don’t get too much of one over the other. If you’re a bourbon drinker, you’ll be able to pick out those subtle notes. A lot of the other flavors can be found in Founders base Oktoberfest beer.

Overall, I’m giving this 4.25 across the board. An excellent example of American Oktoberfest and classic Founders Barrel aging melding together for quite a treat.

Cheers.

@Rug

13. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,560) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

In my younger days I drained 3 litres of Kloster Andechs Doppelbock at the source.. Slept well on the S-Bahn ride back to Munchen

Prosit!!

14. steveh

Society

Have the Polizei ever recovered your wallet? :grin:

15. DCH

DCH Disciple (315) Jun 12, 2013 New York

That sounds like a great memory, and props to you for being able to remember anything after 3 liters of that beer:grin:

budsNpils, Bierman9 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,632) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I haven't looked, and I'm sure this has already been added to the database. Though, this should be listed as an American Strong Ale (oh wait that can't really work either ugh). I just...don't want to even see this listed as an Oktoberfest, so I'm not going to try and look ha.

17. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (656) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Maybe American Strong Lager?

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,195) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Founders always brings the malt liquor heat

19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,997) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

That's the equivalent of 12 standard drinks by my calculations. Nice job.

Rug and Bierman9 like this.
  20. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

No thanks.

People often suggest that pumping out hazies, fruited sours, and pastry stouts is trend chasing. They often leave out the pumping out of double-digit-abv beers. I think the double-digit abv beer craze has lasted longer, so it's become a bit normalized, but it still rings odd to me. We ain't drinking wine here folks. I know, I know, there have always been strong beers in the history of brewing. Nevertheless, the percentage of beers with abvs in the double-digits these days is huge. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wish all beer was less than 8% abv.

Luckily, there are plenty of "typical" Oktoberfests for me.

21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,819) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sounds like something that might be fun to try once. I can't see myself wanting something like this 4 times, but I'll buy a single if I see one. For what it's worth, their normal Oktoberfest is okay. Their yeast/process throws off some sulfur, but that doesn't bother me much.

DrStiffington and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. BigIronH

Society Trader

This is a key point for me. Due to the extensive selection available to me, I can both dislike certain beers and pass on them as well as buy what I like with ease.

23. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (105) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Ultimate Oktoberfest? So Ayinger?

o29, ElGallo, JMN44 and 6 others like this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

Society

Agreed.

And wine is poured in 3-5 oz. pours (well it's supposed to be :wink:).

I REALLY hate it when strong beers come in 16 oz. cans.

I'd lean more towards one of the Munich 6, if for no other reason than Ayinger technically can't even call the beer an Oktoberfest.

Beer_Economicus and Providence like this.
  25. DrStiffington

Society

Seems like a strange thing to wish when there are literally hundreds if not thousands of beers under 8% to drink and you follow it up with the last line. I’ll be buying and drinking several typical Oktoberfest beers as well but this seems like an interesting experiment to at least try a single. Not sure why you are wishing away its existence instead of just ignoring it.

Beer_Economicus, Rug, SILVER and 3 others like this.
  26. BigIronH

Society Trader

It’s the BA way.

Rug, Resistance88, ESHBG and 5 others like this.
  27. Metnut

Metnut Aspirant (293) Dec 18, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Was lucky to grab the last 4-pack of this at TW. I think it's fantastic. A true mix of Octoberfest and barrel aged. Founders hit a HR here IMO. Hopefully this becomes an annual release.

BigIronH, semibaked and ESHBG like this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

Society

Number 10 for the amber Oktoberfest style here on BA!

Number 2 on Untappd!

2004 me would seek it out and think, "Wow, I love this. Tastes nothing like that garbage Paulaner Märzen I had the other day."

To be fair, I believe Todd did have a recent thread highlighting how the average ABV of beers on this site have steadily crept up over the years.

Sure you can ignore a single beer (and there's other choices out there), but trends do affect what's on your shelves over the years.

champ103 likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,827) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just kinda weird that a 10% ABV beer is placed within the Märzen category (i.e., ABV: 5.8–6.3%).

Cheers!

Beer_Economicus and AlcahueteJ like this.
  30. steveh

Society

:rolling_eyes: Tickers always need to be hit over the head.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. steveh

Society

Already added? It's been trending since it hit shelves. :rolling_eyes:

71 Märzens in my reviews, don't look for this one soon.

32. DrStiffington

Society

I’m not disputing that point at all! I remember when DFH 90 minute was, at least for me, a “wow, I can’t believe how strong this is!” beer. My point was just more like why bother wishing ALL beer was under 8% when there are thousands of those beers still around. Some of us like the big beers once in a while. Put it this way: Founders has 12 packs of normal strength Oktoberfest and this is a specialty four pack that’s bourbon barrel aged. Not meant to be consumed the same way. If Founders replaced the regular with this I’d say there’s more a point here.

Beer_Economicus, Rug, SILVER and 8 others like this.
  33. TLA

TLA Zealot (516) Jul 14, 2005 Pennsylvania

I agree 100%. I couldn't care less what category they put it in.....................it's a damn tasty beer! I'm already almost through my second four pack.

Metnut and BigIronH like this.
  34. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Crusader (797) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

I love that beer! The Kloster is a great place to visit if you are anywhere near Munich.

Bierman9 likes this.
  35. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Crusader (797) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

I'm a fan of Founders and of Marzens, but I didn't think that this experiment was entirely successful. I enjoyed the beer for sure, but the Marzen character was lost because of the high alcohol content.

36. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,322) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Scotch whisky does well.

zac16125 likes this.
  37. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (186) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Do tell!

38. steveh

Society

Oh man, I talk about Spaten Oktoberest every year -- probably ad nauseam for most. :wink:

39. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (186) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Ok, I must have missed those posts.
    Now you got me interested, ISO!

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. steveh

Society

It's been my favorite since the mid-80s and I look forward to it every year.

However, I haven't seen it anywhere in my corner of northeast Illinois yet this year -- good luck with your search.

Bitterbill and barrybeerdog like this.