Founders Ultimate Oktoberfest BBA Marzen

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Aug 13, 2022.

1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Maybe it’s better suited in the Eisbock category?

I hear ya, and you’re not wrong. But I also understand where @Providence is coming from, that’s all. There’s statistical evidence showing ABV’s have trended upwards over the years.

And to be fair, I am going to seek a single or two of the Ultimate Oktoberfest out, and I also had a bourbon barrel aged Oktoberfest at Sam Adams last year too. So it’s not as if I completely abstain and object to beers like this.

2. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Because it’s a message board and I didn’t put much thought into it.

I don’t wish it’s existence away. I hope everyone who buys it absolutely loves it. I’m not likely to buy it as I prefer to have lower abv beers.

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It definitely seems like Euro Strong Lager would be the appropriate category. Definitely doesn't fit in the Weisn/Festbier category

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

There's no freezing process going on, so maybe just the Doppelbock category?

Samichlaus is 14% and was slotted into Doppelbock.

Then again, the brewery has gone and labeled the thing Märzen, so... :rolling_eyes:

Bitterbill, alucard6679, Rug and 3 others like this.
  5. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Ok I feel better now. Good talk.

6. AlcahueteJ

Society

Oh yeah good point.

Yeah Doppelbock was my other thought.

Bitterbill, Resistance88 and steveh like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

Society

I feel worse.

BA is much better when we're all arguing.

8. AlcahueteJ

Society

Also just noticed that two of the top ten amber Oktoberfests on Beeradvocate are from Tree House. And on Untappd one of the Tree House amber Oktoberfests (one is a regular Oktoberfest, the other is conditioned on oak) is number one.

Now, I've had Tree House lagers, and they are good. But man, do people rating beer have to be so predictable?

HIGH ABV or TREE HOUSE!!!

It's almost as if people have a preset idea of what "good" is before even drinking a beer...:slight_smile:

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I don't know about "better" but sometimes BA posts remind me of a Monty Python skit. :flushed:

Cheers!

10. steveh

Society

You're just now recognizing this, are yeh? :wink:

(see post #70)

11. AlcahueteJ

Society

Well, regarding Tree House, I've had theirs (at least the normal one, not sure about the oak aged).

There's nothing over the top about it, it's just a regular amber Oktoberfest. And again, nothing wrong with it, it's just that people seem to automatically see "Tree House" and then rate it highly.

Beer_Economicus and BigIronH like this.
  12. steveh

Society

It's probably brewery staff. :wink:

Resistance88 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

Society

Bahaha. Well they must have a TON of brewery staff...actually that would make sense given they produce the third most amount of beer in MA next to Sam and Harpoon...and ALL beer is sold on-site.

It's truly an impressive operation where you buy cans. A conveyor belt just pumping out case after case for hours on end to their customers. Hordes of people every day getting in line and stacking case after case on a dolly and taking them to their cars.

14. steveh

Society

Multiple IPLs. :wink:

Seriously though, how wide is their distribution? To me it's curious that they have so many ticks.

AlcahueteJ and Resistance88 like this.
  15. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Zero distribution. They are an absolute freak in the brewing industry. Go look at their dedicated thread in the northeast forum. Its got to be near the longest single brewery threads and when I've checked it in the past it's just post after post of people asking questions about the various procedures for acquiring their beer, talking about the case(s) of beer they bought, or sharing their thoughts on the beer. I've never had their beer but their reputation is such that I would absolutely not miss an opportunity to try their beer if I was in the area

BruChef, AlcahueteJ and Resistance88 like this.
  16. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (53) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

Local brewery here does a BBA marzen every year and it's just too much. The beauty of Marzens is packing all those bready and caramel notes into a beer that's substantial yet refreshing and not cloying. doubling the AVB and adding bourbon just creates a big sticky mess I don't want to drink more than 4oz of at a time

PA-Michigander and steveh like this.
  17. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,560) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

No, it doesn't....

18. JackHorzempa

Society

Touché :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

Bierman9 likes this.
  19. steveh

Society

I agree with your view, but I had to edit a little. :wink:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. Rhettroactive

Rhettroactive Poo-Bah (1,911) Mar 28, 2009 Virginia
    Society

Haven’t spotted it here in northern VA either, unfortunately. Fingers crossed I find it on the shelves soon.

steveh likes this.
  21. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Meyvn (1,182) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I bought a 4 pack and liked it, however I'm not sure I would've called in an Oktoberfest....just me bitchin'......

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  22. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,930) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

That’s exactly what they do. It would be interesting to see a blind taste test, I’ve thought this for some time. Yes the beers are good. But, I would venture my guess most people have regular access to beers just as good minus the exorbitant cost of obtaining it online or in a trade. Such is life.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. richOutsidePhilly

richOutsidePhilly Initiate (61) Jan 27, 2021 Pennsylvania

Last night had one of theses as my first Octoberfest beer this year. Not sure what i was thinking as I've got Ayenger and Hacker Pschorr in the beer fridge. Was in the mood for a strong dark, should of had a Bigfoot, but hey.
    Aroma and taste were initially overpowering. Was hard to separate the Bourbon aging from the alcohol. Weird combo for a lager, definitely not an Octoberfest. But...it grew on me as we went on. Will prolly keep these around for a while, would be most favorable on a more wintry eve. Must admit, I'm a sucker for those high ABVs. Don't see me purchasing any more of these, but also don't have any buyer's remorse.
    Will soon start tackling those more traditional Octos/ festbiers in the fridge. Just need to find the right sausage salamis and Tilsit cheese.

24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

So, how good is the regular Founder's Oktoberfest? I see that 12packs arrived in Casper.

25. steveh

Society

Just my opinion but, meh. A typical Ami-Okto, and maybe just a little more lackluster.

Full disclosure, I sampled it 2 years ago, but I haven't heard any reasons to gamble on another 6-pack since.

26. Bitterbill

Society

Thanks. If I can get a single, I'll go for that.

steveh likes this.
  27. Bitterbill

Society

28. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,816) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

They called my favorite packaged Oktoberfestbier (Hofbrau) that I can get in my area “German piss lager.” Yay. Good job Uproxx! That sounds about as accurate as their claim that Weihenstephaner is one of the Munich big six. That's just from a glance, I won't read any deeper. @steveh

o29, alucard6679, jkane101 and 5 others like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

@Bitterbill, thanks for the above link. Drinking beer blind is indeed the best way to evaluate beer since it mitigates bias.

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. steveh

Society

Yeah... I stopped after I saw mis-statements about Märzen history. Glad I missed the HB "opinion."

I wonder if they mentioned that they needed to mail order SN Okto? :thinking_face:

"Senior film and culture writer." :rolling_eyes:

#110 steveh, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Bitterbill likes this.
  31. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Crusader (720) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Looks like Smartmouth (Norfolk brewery) is doing something similar, an impy bourbon barrel Octoberfest (only 8+% though). I'll get a 4 pack.

32. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (453) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

It's an easy drinker but not one of my favorites so I would try a single (or at the most, a sixer) first; so I am with steveh here.

33. AlcahueteJ

Society

That didn't take long...

Number 4 on Beeradvocate

Number 1 on Untappd

Ugh...

34. steveh

Society

Suggested style change: Imperial Brown Ale. :wink:

35. BigIronH

Society Trader

I don’t think it’s an ale is the only issue there. Maybe imperial brown lager if you’re so inclined.

36. steveh

Society

It ain't a Märzen either, so are we picking nits now? :wink:

37. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (102) Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

If it doesn't have German malt character, it won't make past my taste buds as an Oktoberfest. I am REALLY enjoying the Warsteiner Oktoberfest from a case just purchased at Costco. Tastes like a fresh batch for a change.

Beer_Economicus and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. BigIronH

Society Trader

I mean….that’s subjective.:wink: It is definitely not an ale. I like the beer personally. Doesn’t necessarily pass the “sniff” test for traditional but most of the IPA’s I drink probably don’t either.

Rug likes this.
  39. steveh

Society

I'll just use ABV as the foundation of my proof. Not subjective, science. :slight_smile:
    If someone sat the beer down in front of you without telling you what it was, would you guess it to be a Märzen, or something like a Brown Ale? I know that's all academic now, but imagine showing up at a party and a friend saying, "Hey, try this -- tell me what you think?"

40. BigIronH

Society Trader

It’s hard for me to indulge you here because in one stroke you say the ABV disqualifies it from being a Marzen, “scientifically”. In the next, you qualify it as an ale because of what one might think of it upon first taste.

I will say, you’re the third person I’ve talked with that has said it would work better in an -ale category. Me personally, I don’t care what they call it. It is what it is. At this point the style “lines” are so muddled that I don’t know what to think about half the stuff that makes it’s way to my glass.