Founders vs Bell's: Head to Head

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HOP_KING, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,268) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

So add in devil dancer. Now Bells has their Rye IPA, Hopsolution, and Oracle. Where do you stack those vs double trouble and the likes? If you don't like the sweetness of hopslam then there's Oracle and Hopsolution. It feels like hard to get one off's that cost 15 bucks are used in favor of Founders but the harder to Bells beers are just ignored in all of this...

2. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

I don't ever pay for 4-packs. I buy singles, especially if they're for more expensive beers like that. No way will I be out that much money if I've never tried something and there is no guarantee that I'd like it.

3. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

Bell's is kicking ass for me lately. Founder's ain't nothin to fuck with, but I'm voting Bell's.

4. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,160) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Founders not by a landslide for me, but close to it. 2 Hearted is really the only offering that I can get that I regularly buy, there are at least a dozen Founders beers keeping me broke/happy/fat. Hopslam used to work for me, but has become way too pricey & hard to get in SW Missouri

5. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

I was in my cellar yesterday. I have plenty more Founders than Bell's at a 4:1 ratio. Based on that sound reasoning Founders wins. :wink:

6. opwog

opwog Zealot (570) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

You said it all hear. Bells easily wins this. Founders has some incredibly strong beers, but Bells has a much more diverse and extensive catalog that is equally as strong at worst, and even better in the eyes of many, like myself. The only thing that I might disagree with you on, is the Curmudgeon over Third Coast Old Ale. I think that Third Coast is far better than Curmudgeon and is arguably the best old ale brewed in the US.

7. hustlemuscle

hustlemuscle Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2004 Ohio

[Brewery] no question, without a doubt, unequivocally.
    [Brewery] but it is close.

8. Gotti311

Gotti311 Crusader (794) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Founders every day. Bell's has too many misses, Founders is more consistent from top to bottom.

9. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Both are great but Bell's wins in the end for me.

10. Rob315

Rob315 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Kentucky

Really hard choice, but I'd say Bells.

11. dbc5

dbc5 Devotee (440) Jun 18, 2009 Arizona

With regard to what they bottle and distribute, I would confidently choose Founders. However, I do prefer a stop at Bell's Ecentric Cafe and the available selection relative to what can be had at Founders brewpub. On my last visit to Bells, which was no special occasion, just a random day for them, I enjoyed Wild One and Raspberry Wild One in addition to several other non bottled goodies.

12. allisonastra

allisonastra Initiate (0) May 16, 2013 Michigan

Founders would be my pick, heavily swayed by the fact that I live close by and really get to enjoy the whole Founders community aspect...events, bottle releases, frequent taproom visits, mug club membership, and of course excellent beers.

That being said, Bell's is fantastic as well. Those of us in West Michigan are ridiculously lucky to have both Founders and Bell's be so accessible. Cheers to that!

ChrisMon02 likes this.
  13. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

tough choice but I'd probably go with Founders. I'm an IPA guy and imo Bells doesnt have anything as good as Red's Rye or DT plus Breakfast Stout and Founders Porter are better than the Bells equivalent.

mcrago likes this.
  14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

There's too many responses to check if my response was already made.
    My vote: It's a tie. Both make some outrageously good beer.

15. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Hopslam is what it is, personally I think the hop profile is more enjoyable than Double Trouble. If you are going to say DT smokes Hopslam, let's just be reminded that Oracle embarasses DT.

Zaphog likes this.
  16. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic Initiate (34) Mar 21, 2009 Washington

LOVE Hopslam but gotta give it to Founders for having an overall more solid line up...especially their stouts.

17. LCB_Hostage

LCB_Hostage Initiate (171) Jan 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

Founders by a longshot. I know this isn't a popular position, but I've been disappointed by almost everything I've tried from Bell's. Two Hearted and Expedition particularly came up short of the hype they receive. That said, I've never gotten my hands on any HopSlam, so that might help turn the tide. But for now, I can't think of a beer from Bell's I'd buy again or a beer from Founder's I wouldn't.

18. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (6,929) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

I prefer Bells by a longshot.

19. bobhits

No go to 4 pack beers?

20. bobhits

Bells regular line up has like 50% more beers....many being lagers and well non popular styles. Just the law of large numbers you'd expect some duds.

Though I just don't get how anyone would buy founders pale ale over the 100 better pales on the market or centinial over any ipa worth having. And don't get me started on their fruit crap or back stage sugar bombs.

21. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

this

22. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,096) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society Trader

Overall, I like Founders more than Bell's mainly for their stouts. Bell's has better IPA's though. But, I just can't get enough of FBS. And, tomorrow I'm going to crack open my first bottle of KBS. Can't wait.

23. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

If Bell's bottled more things and some of their stuff in bigger quantities (Oracle, Black Note) more people would be like me and say it's too close to call. Does Founders do a sour? Bell's The Wild One is amazing, not that most people would even get the chance to know that.

24. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Your crazy Black Note blows both FBS and KBS out of the water. Founders makes some stouts and porters that are amazing, the problem is they only make them once. Panther Cub, CBS, Black Biscuit, Devils Cut, I could go on, Bells makes Black Note every year even if it isn't bottled every year. If Founders would bottle the stuff I mentioned at least once a year I'd agree with you. I'd even settle for one of those replacing KBS.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  25. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

CBS is made every year, but it's only been bottled once. Devil's Cut will be made again, and should be on the caves below the city. Black Biscuit was a randomly crafted beer with no set recipe, so chances are that if they do another beer called Black Biscuit, it will taste a little different (but nobody will be able to remember for sure).

26. WVUbrew

WVUbrew Disciple (358) Oct 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Founders all day... Until Hopslam hits the shelves

27. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Black note > KBS

Thats all that matters.

PaulyB83 and BeerAssassin like this.
  28. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

Bell's.... because I can run to the store and get Two Hearted any time I want. I have a heck of time getting my hands on some of the best Founders stuff.

29. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,096) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society Trader

Can you get CBS on tap in Michigan pretty easily?

30. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (2,162) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Both breweries are outstanding in my opinion. I see no reason to pick one over the other.

GoldenChild likes this.
  31. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Nope. Im not really positive it's brewed every year either.

32. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Champion (852) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

33. guyinchicago

guyinchicago Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Illinois

I have had this discussion with my boys from Michigan, both are good but Bells is slightly better though, and Kuhnhenn wins the state championship

34. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

I agree with Kuhnhenn (their speciality stuff is just wow). Founders barrel program is what puts them just a bit ahead of Bell's. Dark Horse is clearly in 4th. Their big boys (BAPt5 BA 4th Dimentia) are their only saving grace. Atwater is just bad.

35. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

Whales: Bell's
    Regular offerings: Founders

Founders really doesn't have anything that touches Black Note or Hopslam, IMO. Even KBS and CBS. But Centennial, Founders Porter, Red's Rye, Dirty Bastard, etc. are all better. Honestly, I'm not too into anything Bell's regular offerings. Oberon is awesome for its style, but that's about it. And Centennial kills Two Hearted, IMO. It's not even close.

PaulyB83 and jroberts8811 like this.
  36. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Initiate (128) Mar 11, 2011 Wisconsin

why didn't you do a poll lol? Breakfast sout and hop slam are 2 of my favorite beers. Two hearted beats centennial. I'll take founders for stouts/ ba beers and bells for pales

carlitos92 likes this.
  37. ParkerAE

ParkerAE Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 California

Tough to call. Id have to say Founders by a nose. Like a tiny nose. The nose of Tinkerbell maybe?

38. WiscoBrewsco

WiscoBrewsco Aspirant (238) Dec 7, 2012 Wisconsin

Founders wins the stout battle but Bell's is better overall. Better IPA and DIPA and better stong/old ale and sour and Bell's has world class stouts as well

39. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

*sidenote* Do NOT be fooled by "HOP KING". He is a pretender to the throne. (j/k brother).

Founders Breakfast stout is one of the greats.

40. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Bells is the winner Founders is good but I haven't had many non back stage beers that are really all that good from them. Most of their beers are great but not world class in my opinion. I'd take expedition stout over KBS any day.

BeerAssassin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.