Fox Farm Brewery, CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by mjco04, May 3, 2017.

1. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (177) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It seems that this brewery is slowly gearing up for opening. Multiple draft releases have been held so far. I'm going to try to go to Eli Cannon's tomorrow to check out their beers.

2. mattbrown15

mattbrown15 Initiate (124) Jul 8, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Based upon my discussion with the guys from Fox Farm last week at Birch Hill Tavern, I suspect the brewery will be opening relatively soon. They had four beers on tap and each was great. Burst, the DIPA they had pouring, was truly outstanding. Both Roam (Pale Ale) variants - Nelson and Citra/Mosaic were also fantastic. Looking forward to trying the pilsner that they will be pouring this week.

Robtobfest likes this.
  3. HankSchrader

HankSchrader Initiate (111) Dec 20, 2016 Connecticut

Seconded. I caught the tail end of the night at Birch, but was able to have Burst and Roam with Citra/Mosaic. I think these folks are going to be a great addition to the Connecticut Beer scene.

Robtobfest likes this.
  4. purephase

purephase Initiate (164) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I've been looking forward to their opening for a while. My favorite beer from the Jon era at Steady Habit was the maple coffee milk stout collab with Fox Farm.

Robtobfest likes this.
  5. JDurand

JDurand Initiate (147) Jan 29, 2007 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I really like their Freckled Fields saison...it's excellent.

Robtobfest and mjco04 like this.
  6. mjco04

Beer Trader

I had 5 of their beers at Eli Cannon. Very impressed with them so far but I did hear about saison.

ianous likes this.
  7. woodchipper

woodchipper Defender (678) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Subscriber

This thing seems a long time coming. Can't we get a solid date from these guys yet?

8. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (241) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

In the next couple of weeks. But they're not going to announce it much in advance, similar to how Counter Weight and Lasting Brass opened. Not a lot of fanfare, a slow open.

9. mjco04

Beer Trader

I don't get this slow open. I would open with a bang!

10. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (197) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That's what new park did and they ran out of beer. That might seem like a good thing, but your first day is when you start making impressions and two hour waits and not having enough beer could potentially lose your best shot at making regular customers.

11. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,121) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

There was a Fox Farm Tap Takeover at D&G Pizza and Pub in Canterbury on Friday.

Robtobfest likes this.
  12. CtBeerMe

CtBeerMe Initiate (139) Jan 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Tried all 5 in a flight yesterday. Nothing really blew me away but they were all very good. The pilsner and the porter were the standouts for me.

Robtobfest likes this.
  13. mjco04

Beer Trader

I didn't think New Park lost any customers. They reopened the next day and the place was still banging! New Park didn't really run out of beers that night. The lines were ridiculous but if your beers are really that good then the customers at least would feel satisfied having to wait in lines.

14. Shyla987

Subscriber

New Park had to close for two weeks after their opening. No, they probably didn't lose any customers in the long run, but I know many people who went there over those 2 weeks only to find they weren't open.

Some breweries want to do a quiet open so they can work out the kinks.

15. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (197) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Not losing customers is not the same thing as not making regulars. They're not about to go out of business, but once the new brewery smell is gone and the crowds start to slow down having regular customers who come every week is important. And the grand opening is a time when you make a lot of those regulars.

And yes, they did actually run out of beer after their third open day and had to close for two weeks.

CTHopman and sulldaddy like this.
  16. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (2,625) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Does anybody know if New Park will fill other place's growlers yet? that they had not been willing to do so IS costing them my business. I dont need more glass bottles in my garage!

And sorry for the thread hijack!

mattbrown15 and beanoboy7 like this.
  17. mattbrown15

mattbrown15 Initiate (124) Jul 8, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

My understanding is that no, they are not filling other's growlers. They posted a response to that question on Facebook saying they want full control for quality purposes. I know of several people, including myself, who have avoided going there because of that policy. Comes across purely as a play for more $.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  18. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (183) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I don't think it's a thread hijack regarding growlers. If a brewer comes to BA and wants to see what people are saying in 'their thread,' there ought to be mention of it. Maybe even in a sticky at the top that the place only wants you to use their glass.

Yep. I'm pretty much done with that shit. If I'm the kind of guy who hauls his ass to a brewery and already has growlers from other places, there's at least a decent chance that I should know better than to bring a dirty growler (or know what the consequences are). I literally keep growlers for the one time that I go to HF per year and fill like 13-15 growlers. One year I forgot to bring caps for my Wormtown/Treehouse growlers and had to get new glass, which just added to the mess. Other than that excursion, I would just put the things on Craigslist and leave them in the driveway...that's an idea actually.

19. Shyla987

Subscriber

The only reason it's a thread hijack is because this thread is about Fox Farm Brewery and the brewery that won't fill other's growlers is New Park.

I don't care about the thread hijack at all, but I talked to the owner of Fox Farm at one of their recent events and they will fill any growler when they open.

20. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (146) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

A properly cleansed "off brand" filled growler will taste better than an improperly cared for "branded" growler. As CT allows breweries to fill any growler, this seems like a money grab to me. I have heard they make good brew and I went to high school with one of the owners (great guy at that) but until they change their growler policy, I will not frequent. Besides that, I can fill their growler with a "crappy" CT beer, bring it to a picnic, tell nobody and they may think NP beers suck. It goes both ways.

ianous and sulldaddy like this.
  21. CTHopman

They should only worry about people filling their branded growlers with subpar beer from another brewery b/c they make great beer!

22. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (64) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

We should probably chill with the growler discussion in this thread. Fox Farm Brewery will fill any growler, they're new and people will come in here and get confused.

Start a New Park Brewing thread or whatever if you want to talk about that brewery's growler policy.

23. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (528) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Give that man a quesadilla!

Robtobfest likes this.
  24. mjco04

Beer Trader

Word. We need to start keeping these CT threads going and it would be nice to really support these breweries we have locally. But keep the topics to that specific brewery.

25. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (183) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I agree 100% (as if there was anything to disagree about). If I could go back and qualify/move my post, I would.

26. Ultra-Plinian

Ultra-Plinian Disciple (369) Mar 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if they will have cans at opening or will it be growler beer only?

27. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (1,860) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut

Looks like they will be opening this weekend. Saturday's and Sunday's 11-5. On site full and half pours as well as growler sales of all the beers.

MattKozaka likes this.
  28. mjco04

Beer Trader

Yup!!!! Finally a farm brewery in CT!

29. MattKozaka

MattKozaka Initiate (111) May 15, 2017 Connecticut

I saw the tap list but no mention of growler policy or pricing?

30. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (123) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

We accidentally attended the friends and family soft opening last weekend, and left with a couple growlers - Mosaic & Citra Roam was the highlight. I could see it being a go to beer to keep in the fridge.

Shyla987 likes this.
  31. Shyla987

Subscriber

Not a farm brewery. Zach has said they're not a true farm brewery, they don't yet grow ingredients used in beers. But they hope to!

32. mjco04

Beer Trader

May not at the moment but they started planting some stuff for future beer ingredients.

Kent falls is more farm brewery ready once they open that tasting room.

33. Shyla987

Subscriber

Maybe we have different definitions of "farm brewery"? To me, a farm brewery uses ingredients in the beer that they grow. Which Kent Falls has done since they opened (hops and a few other stuff).

Tasting room has nothing to do with being a farm brewery.

Semantics maybe, but Fox Farm will not be farm brewery for awhile, Kent Falls is one. Regardless, they both make great beer!

34. mjco04

Beer Trader

35. CTHopman

Went today. Everything about the place shines. Beautiful 2 tiered taproom, pristine grounds, separate pour and growler fill areas, fantastic brews, exemplary customer service and the coolest 1 liter growlers! Thank you Zack and the rest of the FF crew. I will be back soon. Having already had a few of your sours, I know things will only get better (if that is even possible). An absolutely flawless "grand opening"!

ianous and MattKozaka like this.
  36. MattKozaka

MattKozaka Initiate (111) May 15, 2017 Connecticut

Pricing on growler fills?

37. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (289) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

agree with all of this (minus having sours). Really beautiful space. easy to get to. Doesnt look like they'll have any potential issues with neighbors (unlike Fat Orange Cat?). I tasted both Roam varieties and Burst. All were very tasty. Staff were all kind. I'll also be back soon.

@MattKozaka liters were $8 for the pales. 2L Burst was $17. I had two 750s filled and the prices were adjusted down from the posted 1L prices.

My only question/suggestion to FF is: why add sales tax on top of the posted prices? Just include tax in the price and save the hassle of all those pennies. I'd have happily paid/not even noticed if prices were rounded to the nearest quarter.

sulldaddy, CTHopman and MattKozaka like this.
  38. woodchipper

Subscriber

Sounds great. Planning on going next weekend.

39. mjco04

Beer Trader

Missed this weekend's release but I had their beers already so it's just a matter of drinking them on site! Would it make a good Fox Farm/FOC combo for a day? Maybe add Middletown as well.

40. woodchipper

Subscriber

As I said above, plan on going next weekend. And hopefully it will still calm seeing as how their website still says "coming soon". Facebook may be spreading it fast though.
    I love Fat Orange Cat beer, but I've had it with their crowds, not going again until the buzz dies down or they expand.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.