Fremont Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by John_M, Jan 24, 2019.

1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,333) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

2. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

RIP to one of the longest running threads on the BA and certainly the most poetic. Over almost 250,000 views and comments, we shared good times, bad times, tragedy, comedy and haiku. We made friends, enemies, made up and moved on. I’m proud and humbled to have been a part of something special.

Now onto the new
    Beer is the thread that unites
    Winds of change alight

Erik-P, Naikoon, woemad and 11 others like this.
  3. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (315) May 31, 2016 Washington

The only constant
    is change, but Fremont puts out
    shit tons of good beer

4. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (462) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

I feel what you wrote,
    But I’d refrain from “shit”
    To summon Fremont.

In more prose than poetry, I’d even go with the more vulgar “fuck ton.” Way better connotations with the latter. That’s just wordy me, though. (I miss me some EdwardJAbbey.)

Speaking of F-bombs and Fremont, will we ever see Spring Elixir or Dark Star Oak-Aged with Hazelnut and Black Pepper again? Bombers are my most reviled beer format, but I would offload shelves in my beer fridge to make room either of these!

5. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (315) May 31, 2016 Washington

Understood. I wasn’t trying to re-ignite the “s***f t**d” fiasco. Just trying to point out that, year after year, Fremont consistently produces ample quantities of tasty beers at a reasonable price.

Spring Elixir made a reappearance last year, but it was draft and crowlers only. It seems that arrangement is easiest for them to bring back cult favorites for a limited time. However, that means a trip has to be made to the UBG, which isn’t always feasible for everyone to do. Shrug.

kemoarps and 66jzmstr like this.
  6. drone

drone Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

What's the word on Sky Kraken? Didn't make it down today, hoping to find some cans around soon.

7. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (462) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Damn! I missed out, then. The UBG is a 35-minute trek for me - if traffic is good (har!) - so it doesn't happen enough, but it's good when it does.

Joining a rare guys get-together tomorrow sans kids Saturday night. I asked my friend near Fremont to bring a growler of Sky Kraken, adding to my growler contributions of Heater Allen Helles and Holy Mountain Swords to Plowshares oaked saison. Speaking of Fremont, I should probably hit the cellar for to bring some old KDS and/or B-Bomb as well. I've got a DD for the night, so Saturday night will be good.

Love me some, Fremont.

drone, vurt and kemoarps like this.
  8. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm sure the beer will be very good, but the artwork alone will be reason enough for me to pick up some cans/bottles.

66jzmstr and kemoarps like this.
  9. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,047) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'm guessing there are still plenty of cans at the brewery. Was planning on stopping by for some when I go to Floodland today.

10. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (772) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

It's a hazy so I'm gonna hard pass...

On a related note, I just found a 2016 Spice Wars in my cellar I had obviously forgotten about. What are the chances I'm going to pick up any of the spice flavors at this point?

jae, kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,986) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Try it!

kemoarps likes this.
  12. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (772) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

For science.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  13. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,548) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Plus, you'll be able to get a single for under $2! No reason not to

beertunes likes this.
  14. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (288) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

@Texwild - I'm not sure if you're aware of this issue, or if you even have any control over it, but Salem, OR continues to be criminally overlooked as far as Fremont distro goes. We have never received any bottles of BA Dark Star or B-Bomb (or variants), although I know places like McMinnville, Corvallis, and heck, even Albany have.

We rarely see ANY packaged stuff that's not year-round stuff like regular Dark Star & Interurban, and I can't even remember when I saw that last. A couple places have been lucky enough to get cans of HFoD in the past (only one or two versions), but those were already a month old by the time they showed up around here. I've been told Columbia only sends HFoD and other seasonal/one-off IPAs to Salem after nobody is ordering it in Portland. Not sure if that's true. We see the occasional keg of seasonal IPA, but that's rare.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring this up as I, along with a lot of my Fremont fan friends, continue to grow more frustrated. Even our local beer bars & bottle shop owners/managers are frustrated, as they can't ever seem to get much, if any, response from Columbia on this.

Again, I'm not sure if you can do anything for us, but we'd really love to see more Fremont in Salem. Thanks for listening, and keep cranking out great beer!

TL;DR haiku:

Please send Salem beer
    We love it and will drink it
    Dang are we thirsty

zestd, NWer, jpbebeau and 5 others like this.
  15. distantmantra

Trader

Time to storm the Columbia offices.

zestd, sharpski and guajolote like this.
  16. Mercle

Mercle Initiate (67) Feb 9, 2013 Oregon

As another huge Fremont fan in Salem, it’s super disappointing to know that our bottle shops are requesting BA Darkstar and B-Bomb only to be told that there is none available for them, especially when there seems to be plenty to go around for significantly smaller Oregon towns like Albany and McMinnville, not mention the crazy amount of BA Darkstar and B-Bomb bottles that Costcos all over Washington get. Would it really kill Columbia to send a couple cases our way? I’ve even reached out to Columbia directly. They told me to work with one of the local establishments here, but then didn’t allot that shop any bottles.

guajolote likes this.
  17. Kraftworks

Kraftworks Initiate (16) Jan 26, 2019 Oregon

This probably has more to do with Albany, Corvallis etc being in the Eugene/Springfield hub of Columbia, and Salem being in the Portland hub. It makes us battle all the Portland market for rare beer. Even with brewery reps allocating beer/cider to me specifically, I’ve had instances of my allocation being sold to someone else. Georgetown (kegs) and Fremont (BBA bottles) recently and specifically.

beertunes and sharpski like this.
  18. Mercle

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m sorry, it’s still BS. Salem certainly can’t compete with Portland. Columbia should put Salem in the Eugene hub. We’re way closer in size to Eugene than Salem. And even if we’re in the Portland hub, a couple of cases wouldn’t leave the Portland folks without, especially since BA Fremont sits on shelves in Portland at places like MOC for months.

sharpski, John_M, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  19. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,967) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

The 2017 Spice Wars I'm having at Happy Trails To Brews right now is sublime.
    [​IMG]

kemoarps, beertunes and guajolote like this.
  20. brandonwnw

brandonwnw Initiate (165) May 8, 2013 Washington

I had a 16 this past October. The remaining flavors were ginger and slight cinnamon. Still a great barreled beer but I liked it best within 6 months of release.

I’d be interested to get your take.

kemoarps likes this.
  21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm having a very difficult time disagreeing with your points. I live down the street from a MOC that still has plenty of bbomb and kds, and likely will for months to come (in fact, my not very sympathetic wine loving wife thinks you should just make that short drive up from Salem, and buy out their selection).

kemoarps, NWer, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  22. Hozemeen

Hozemeen Initiate (37) Feb 21, 2018 Washington
    Trader

The more things change, the
    more they stay the same. Fremont
    rules the status quo.

You are not alone.
    For poetry and insight,
    he had no equal.

Naikoon, 66jzmstr, VashonGuy and 3 others like this.
  23. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,024) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

If your name comes from
    Desolation Angels, then
    We're on the same page.

Hozemeen likes this.
  24. Kraftworks

Kraftworks Initiate (16) Jan 26, 2019 Oregon

What’s silly is my delivery guy dispatches out of Springfield... I’ll put in some work and find out when the weekly inventory posts. Might just have to literally be on the phone with our Columbia rep when stock hits inventory to get anything. Come to think of it, that’s how I got one of the 10 cases of New Belgium Geisha (Barrel aged mix of La Folie and Geisha coffee sour) that made it to Oregon. To my knowledge only 3 made it out of PDX. That’s a really crappy way to fight to get beer though.

guajolote, NWer and beertunes like this.
  25. Mercle

I’ve definitely picked up Fremont at MOC up there. And I love MOC.

26. Mercle

It’s especially a crappy way to have to fight for Fremont BA releases when there’s plenty of it to go around.

guajolote likes this.
  27. Mercle

Thanks for looking into it @Kraftworks!

28. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (968) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

I've gotta travel to another country to get in on that fremont

woemad and LiquidAmber like this.
  29. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

Thank you all, again, for the love. How to explain years of working on this issue in a late night post? Basically, this conversation helps us and our many friends at Columbia work on a known issue....let’s see if we notice a change in the next few months. If we do, know that many at Columbia are working to improve the situation and this conversation helps.

Again, this community is amazing and should be acknowledged for not being snarky or shit lordy but politely asking for beer.

jakecattleco, woemad, Erik-P and 7 others like this.
  30. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (66) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

As it stands the bottles are readilly available for Seattle locals at the brewery for several days or weeks, but still somewhat limited in distro.

I don't PERSONALLY see a problem with that :slight_smile:

sharpski and kemoarps like this.
  31. distantmantra

Trader

I'm pleasantly surprised to still see bottles of Coconut Bbomb whenever I stop into my neighborhood PCC.

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  32. Mercle

@Texwild, my apologies if I’ve come across as snarky, and thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Salem just seemed to get passed over when it comes to beer in general, and so many of us here want your beer. It just gets frustrating.

Texwild and kemoarps like this.
  33. Mercle

Seems*

34. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,967) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Not much to say here, just ahhh....yeah...
    [​IMG]

jakecattleco, kemoarps, vurt and 2 others like this.
  35. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (350) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

oh if only it were really 99 cents

36. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,114) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Just really found out about this brewery, very tasty shit. Glad to see them in GJ.

Cheers!

jakecattleco, kemoarps, vurt and 4 others like this.
  37. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,986) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Wut?

I thought I knew you.....

Wasatch likes this.
  38. Wasatch

Trader

What can I say. :slight_smile: The shit did not show up in UT. Lot's of stuff here, but not all shops carry the same shit, I did not venture out far enough, but now I know.:slight_smile::sunglasses: Still very very limited.

Cheers!

39. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (121) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Speaking of B Bomb sitting on shelves. My local New Seasons has had this and the cinnamon variant sitting for several weeks now. Seems no one wants to pay $22-23 per bottle.

I’ve been tempted. Are either of them worth it this year? I have tried it before.

40. Wasatch

Trader

This was my first time having B-Bomb and it was very tasty.

Cheers!

kemoarps likes this.