Fremont Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by John_M, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (315) May 31, 2016 Washington

Try one of each. They are absolutely worth it, every year.

2. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (968) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

Yes. Always yes. Personally I prefer the KDS base over the bbomb, but that coffee cinnamon is gloooriussss

Superheatnsubcool and kemoarps like this.
  3. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,125) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Batch 3000 release announced for March 2nd.

4. drone

drone Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

So hyped. Not only because the beer will be phenomenal, but because Fremont releases are always well organized and relatively tame. Can't wait!

5. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (312) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

I had high hopes for Brew 2000 since Reuben's anniversary and a Holy Mountain release were all at the same time and would split the crowds. I drove by Fremont on the way to Reuben's and the line wrapped completely around to the donut table. Crazy stuff.

Ended up finding a bottle in Bend (sorry, Bend folks). I'm guessing I will never see a bottle of this one.

sharpski likes this.
  6. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (66) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

B2K was the longest line I’ve ever seen in Seattle.

Things have changed since then though.

distantmantra and sharpski like this.
  7. Erik-P

Trader

Missed out on bottles of b2k at release but was worth stopping by for pours of both

Curious if the production volume has increased compared to b2k

kemoarps likes this.
  8. NWer

NWer Crusader (773) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Has the line started yet? This is one beer series worth standing in line for. I know, many consider lines a waste of time but sitting and drinking and making a friend isn't a bad way to pass the time IMO.

9. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,047) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Didn't Fremont ban line drinking?

10. NWer

Not the last line I was in. Fremont employees even came out and joined us.

DamienI likes this.
  11. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (772) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

Thanks for the reminder to avoid Fremont Brewing today.

12. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,333) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Maybe because B1K was so extraordinary, I have to confess to being a bit underwhelmed by B2K. Still a beer I would order whenever I see it (which wasn't very often), but both versions of B2K struck me as overly sweet and boozy. If I had any bottles of B2K, I would try to hold onto them for a few years to see how the beer developed.

B1K was fantastic right off the bat I thought, and just gained greater complexity with bottle age (IMHO). B2K struck me as a beer badly in need of some time in bottle or keg before showing it's best.

13. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,114) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Maybe B3K will show up around here.

Cheers!

14. derftron

derftron Disciple (335) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

B1K was phenomenal. Also, my most fortuitous beer hunt ever. Was randomly in Seattle a few weeks after it came out. Never had heard of it before, but someone told me about it. Brewery was long sold out and on the way out of town back to Portland, stopped in a high-end grocery store in Tacoma. They had a great beer selection, and low and behold the last 2 bottles of B1K staring me in the face. SWOOP! Pure luck :slight_smile:

Eddiehop and beertunes like this.
  15. distantmantra

Trader

B1K was amazing and this was still back when Fremont would release things middle of the week without any lines. I stopped in after work, grabbed a bottle and had a pour with maybe ten people there.

beertunes likes this.
  16. ChugChugPass

Trader

That purple wax haunts my dreams; I didn't konw what a barrel aged beer was and saw it at Central Market like a dozen times and didn't buy it.

Year later I'm taking out a second mortgage to buy every shelfie in town and then later learned what B1K was and it's my favorite beer lol

distantmantra, kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  17. NWer

HHC announcement went out today. HHC this year will be May 4. Given it's my birthday I suggested to my wife that it would be only right that I pass this year to spend it with family. She insisted "shouldn't you do what you want on your birthday? We can celebrate on 3rd or 5th"). Isn't she great? Something to think about.

kingsleyr, Texwild, jpbebeau and 7 others like this.
  18. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (312) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

Care to share the details? I'm guessing it's the usual email them, then get a ticket at the troll, enter the drawing, etc. Last year I saw a poster giving a date and emailed them and apparently I was too late. Not sure how I interpreted that poster incorrectly but given I was intoxicated I leave that open as a possibility.

Haven't been able to make HHC before, either the day it falls on it a problem or the day of the troll thing was a problem. Maybe this year. Sounds like a good time.

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  19. NWer

]
    snip -
    If you deem yourself worthy to once again join the illustrious ranks of the Heron Hunting Club, please meet us at the Fremont Troll on Thursday, March 28th at 9pm. There, we will distribute one raffle ticket per person. Upon receiving said raffle ticket, you MUST register your raffle ticket number at FremontBrewing.com in order to be considered. Winning ticket numbers will be announced the following day on our website. If you hold one of the winning raffle tickets, you can then purchase a singular HHC 2019 Membership at our Urban Beer Garden between 12pm Friday, 3/29 and 9pm Sunday, 4/7.

Membership, which is entry to this one-time event, is $150 and limited.

20. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,986) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Was over at my friends house last weekend to "open some bottles". Turns out his basement is my "cellar". Guess what purple waxed monster I still seem to have at least one of?
    Apparently, I need to drink moar.

21. ChugChugPass

Trader

Have a feeling BxK verts are going to take a good chunk of the B1Ks in the wild out.

Side note: best beer naming scheme / acronym by far!

22. Jinxed

Jinxed Disciple (397) Mar 6, 2007 Washington
    Society

Hey, my birthday too. Thanks for the head's up on the birthday itinerary for the day!

23. distantmantra

Trader

Curious to see what they do for the 10th Anniversary beer.

kemoarps likes this.
  24. Erik-P

Trader

Haven't had a chance to make it to HHC yet, but always hear great things.. tricky getting down on a weeknight for the ticket. maybe one of these years though!!

25. Hozemeen

Hozemeen Initiate (37) Feb 21, 2018 Washington
    Trader

Brew 1000 was so preposterously good that Brew 2000 was bound to disappoint. And yet, for me, it didn't. It was just as sublime if not better than its predecessor. Nitpickers and early adopters may arrive at different conclusions, but I think them's the facts. I imagine Brew 3000, not to mention B4k, 5k, etc...will all be in the same vein. Along with whatever they (might) do for their 10th anniversary beer.

There's no mystery here. Fremont simply has it all figured out when it comes to their special, barrel-aged beers. And we're all especially blessed to ride along with that wave, because no one more than us benefits from it.

26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,986) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Uh, ya realize logic ain't allowed here, right? Only blind fanboi-ism is accepted.

BTW, agree with you.

VashonGuy and kemoarps like this.
  27. Hozemeen

Hozemeen Initiate (37) Feb 21, 2018 Washington
    Trader

My post was unequal parts "blind fanboi-ism" and empirical, inductive reasoning, the latter being greater than the former. (Fremont has earned my faith.) Perhaps the BA tent is larger than you think?

If not, then I guess I'm gonna have to find another site to almost never contribute to.

Naikoon, kemoarps and VashonGuy like this.
  28. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (264) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

It's also my wife's birthday. She hasn't yet said that I should do what I want on her birthday... this would be my first year missing it, though.

Texwild likes this.
  29. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Aspirant (242) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

I'm late to the party here, and I've been away from BA for literally years now, but this 100% has to do with bars in Albany/Salem buying the amazing regular Fremont beers rarely, if ever. Lush, Dark Star, and (now) Sky Kraken are available year round, it is easy as hell to pour great Fremont beer and move up the list for the rarer beers. Bars want to cherry pick the rare stuff and never buy the less rare stuff. Ask them to order it! No Salem bar ordered more than 4 kegs of any Fremont in the entirety of 2018.

jakecattleco and Texwild like this.
  30. Gobigvt7

Market of Choice also sells 100s of cases of Fremont annually, so they get rewarded with cases of Barrel-Aged beers, even enough to last longer than a few weeks. It has nothing to do with Portland being big vs Salem being small, or what hub the product is being pulled from, outside of bottleshops and stores just not buying Fremont that is always available. The #1 off-premise account in Salem in 2018 sold 26 cases total! A few Roth's sold in the 16-17 range. After that, the total cases drop below 10. For the year!

Texwild and sharpski like this.
  31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I confess I'm having a difficult time understanding this reasoning. It seems to me that of course a city the size of PDX (especially when compared to Salem) is going to have much larger accounts than Salem, that likely buy more of everything (not just Fremont stuff). So if the only way to obtain BA Fremont stuff is to sell enough Fremont product to be rewarded (with cases and kegs of highly desired BA stuff), then it seems to me that most places in Salem have little chance in out competing their larger counterparts in PDX (and so no chance of ever obtaining BA Fremont beer).

Another reason I'm a bit puzzled by this rationale, is that it appears a fair amount of BA product is going out of state. I may be wrong about this, but I doubt the larger accounts in California are selling a whole lot of Fremont product. Just like us here in Oregon, most of the consumers down there want to buy local product as much as possible, occasionally buying beer from reputable out of state producers (Revision, Founders, etc.). That probably includes some Fremont beer as well, but it's hard for me to imagine that enough Fremont is being bought in California to justify any BA Fremont stuff going down there. Yet my understanding is that Bbomb, KDS, Rusty Nail and the like are sent down there.

So it would seem to me, that just buying up a ton of Fremont beer to sell isn't the only way for an account to qualify to receive BA Fremont beer.

beertunes, guajolote and Mercle like this.
  32. Mercle

Mercle Initiate (67) Feb 9, 2013 Oregon

This is good to know. So what’s the magic purchase limit that will allow a store in Salem to be rewarded with BA Fremont releases? I think knowing that may help guide our purchasers here.

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  33. Gobigvt7

To your point, it is not like only the biggest 80 accounts get the BA allocations, or even HFOD. But the places that do get it without being technically "top 80 (insert number here)" still are showing some initiative by buying the fantastic regularly available draft beer even semi-regularly, or keeping 1-2 6packs on the shelf year-round (they'll sell!) or booking an event to build up their case totals or leverage getting more rare beer. Albany and Corvallis are smaller than Salem and yet have many spots selling more Fremont and also getting their hands on rarer things. Customers need to be asking their bars and shops to bring in Fremont, and then drinking it. Those case and keg totals are crazy low, why do you think they should get rewarded for that?

Also as you say, we don't know how much or how little some of these accounts in CA are selling before they're rewarded, but I think it is reasonable to assume most if not all of them are supporting Fremont more than just a trickle here and there.

Lastly, to reference another earlier point, pre-sold kegs/cases to the spots that support more are only held for 2 weeks, after which they generally do go into open stock if they're not bought quickly. If the Salem stores/bars are in their salesperson's ear about wanting this stuff, I guarantee it'll go a long way towards cherry picking even if they never buy anything else. If they rarely buy any Fremont, and aren't actively asking for it, why would the sales rep confidently send them product on the occasion it comes briefly available?

beertunes, John_M and sharpski like this.
  34. Gobigvt7

As referenced in my response to John, there isn't a magic number, but there are certainly actions that could affect an account's chances: Regular support of the also great year-round beers, planning an event, and trying to better utilize their Columbia rep to snag occasionally open stock of the rare stuff. A little effort is visible to Fremont, I guarantee it. Track down the Fremont market manager for the state via the distro rep. I guarantee you Fremont wants more beer sent down south to satiate the enthusiastic haiku-writing sippers of Salem.

Texwild, Mercle and sharpski like this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I do know you're right about this. Arch Bridge is a perfect example of this. I'm sure they're no where close to the largest Fremont account in the area, but they hold frequent Fremont events, they do sell some cans and bottles to go, and they often times have Fremont beers on tap. To say they're amply rewarded for their efforts is an understatement

Texwild likes this.
  36. Mercle

Thanks for the info. I have passed this on to many of the proprietors down here.

37. Mercle

I would love to see Fremont events in Salem. I know a lot of other folks down here would as well, and I have to imagine a lot of our shop owners would be more than happy to host a Fremont event. We’d also love to have more of Fremont’s beer available down here. It’s not like our shop owners are in the dark about Fremont’s products, so I’m not sure where the disconnect is. We’ll figure it out though!

kemoarps and Texwild like this.
  38. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (327) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Could have put this is wbayd nw feb, but put it here...just finished my first can sky kraken (canned 2/1/19). Another solid W for Fremont. The aroma was amazing. May have found my March madness beer (I would like it to be cans of pfreim, but really doubt they will make it to the TC in time).

vurt and Gobigvt7 like this.
  39. Kraftworks

Kraftworks Initiate (16) Jan 26, 2019 Oregon

Hey just a follow up. I spoke a few weeks back with someone a couple of rungs up the food chain at Columbia and found out a bit more about why it’s been so hard for Salem to compete with PDX for limited beers, especially those with known quantity and release dates (I understood this to matter most with bottles). PDX for some time has had access to an online ordering system that allows stores to see and pre-order beer up to 2 weeks before it arrives in inventory. Outside of this system you can only order beer once it’s in inventory, basically anyone in the PDX system has a 2 week lead-time/head-start ordering beer. Salem should be added to this system sometime this year which should level the playing field a lot.

40. Kraftworks

Kraftworks Initiate (16) Jan 26, 2019 Oregon

I for one would host a Fremont event. We regularly have Lush on draft and are currently pouring Head Full of Dynamite v.8 and v.9 in succession.

guajolote, Gobigvt7, Mercle and 3 others like this.