Fremont Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by John_M, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Mercle

Mercle Initiate (67) Feb 9, 2013 Oregon

Wow. Nice work! Thanks for looking into this!

2. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Aspirant (242) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

I can verify this is 1000000% not true, it does not exist and has zero basis in fact. Pre-sales of rare beer are discussed between the supplier and accounts specifically and in response to the actions I've outlined above. You are absolutely not getting hosed by a locationally-based, fictional forecasting/ordering system.

taadiskoool likes this.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (292) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I appreciate the info you've provided in this thread (even though I don't like it), but how do you know all this? Do you work for Fremont? A distributor? I met you way back when you worked at Hop & Vine, so I assume you're still in the industry in some capacity. Just curious.

I've also always been under the impression that OLCC required beer to be delivered to whoever ordered it first, regardless of how much they sell of a particular brand. Maybe that's not correct, and I'm not naive enough to believe that actually happens even if that is the case. Beer seems more political than politics sometimes.

Also curious why someone at Columbia would fabricate a story about such an ordering system if it doesn't exist. Not that you would know the answer. It's just fishy.

#83 guajolote, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (82) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

So i just recently acquired some Head full of Dynamite in a trade and i can see what the fuss about distribution is about. That is still one of the best i've had in awhile,.

Wasatch and sharpski like this.
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,308) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

In Bham already, you should see them soon

jakecattleco and rrock44 like this.
  6. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (220) Mar 27, 2018 California
    Trader

I would love to see their BA offerings move to 12oz bottles so that there's more for everyone. Not just for others, but even for ourselves. Lots of bottle shops are limiting purchases to one bottle per person, which means that you only get to drink that vintage once.

I would prefer two 12oz bottles instead so that I can enjoy one now and one later, or one now, one with someone else, or just one for cheaper, etc.

Please and thank you.

lloydboss, DamienI, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  7. Kraftworks

Kraftworks Initiate (16) Jan 26, 2019 Oregon

Couple of points about this, and I’ve owned a Taphouse for 5+ years now in Salem and can attest to how challenging it can be to get unusual/rare beer.

Unless the brewer is self-distributed, all legal beer sales, to resellers, in Oregon go through a distributor. (Columbia, maletis, point blank etc). Some brewers allocate beer to accounts (Russian River doesn’t “distribute” in Oregon anymore, yet you’ll find Pliny etc, in plenty of places across the state, it even teases us by showing up in Columbia’s inventory a couple times a year.) But, the majority of brewers in my experience don’t allocate inventory, unless you’re Russian River selling PtY, allocation involves a lot more work for breweries/beer reps and in some cases rare beer sitting/expiring in inventory, because an allocated account doesn’t order their full allocation, which turns into more work for the distributors.

Having a brewery rep visit you and “sell” you a beer doesn’t guarantee that beer arrives on your truck, even if your distributor salesman punched the sale in while the rep is standing there thanking you for buying the first keg. This has happened to me most recently with Georgetown kegs and Fremont bottles.

My point was that according to someone in Columbia management, when asking me if I knew anything about this exact (Fremont) thread, told me that PDX has a system which gives them advanced access to see and order unallocated beer prior to accounts in Salem, and perhaps this was a reason why it’s so hard to get beer here when it seems plentiful in PDX, and could explain cases where beer you order doesn’t show up on a truck, even though it was in inventory when you ordered it. (It had already been pre-sold, but can’t be taken out of inventory because it isn’t in inventory yet.

On the plus side we should have access to the same system soon.

8. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Aspirant (242) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

<—- Specialty District Manager at Columbia Portland, here, so I can assure you there is no such system. But, we’re rolling out an interactive ordering interface soon, which will give all accounts access to live inventory and the ability to place orders, so they could have been describing that system. It definitely will give all accounts more control over these things, and be as transparent as possible.

Headful, BBomb, and BBADS were all available in the open at various times in the last year, a few times for weeks in a row. Even some variants. Even some kegs. They were orderable by anyone and would have been received (lord willing) by any account that ordered it during those times. There are complications that can arise with low inventory totals and multiple salespeople statewide punching sought after items at the same time. Inventory can get off by a case or two via mispicks in the warehouse, all kinds of things. A salesperson can see a keg open and have it disappear bc someone else acted just slightly quicker. It can be legitimately like lightning. But, again, none of that is prevented by someone else bc they have an advantage, outside of having a salesrep hellbent on taking care of their accounts and/or getting lucky.

The absolute easiest way (this goes for any brewery where their “rare” offerings demand far outpace the supply) is to buy great core beer regularly, and have open comminucation with the distro and brewery reps. Or talk about it on BeerAdvocate! :wink:

Selz202 likes this.
  9. Hozemeen

Hozemeen Initiate (37) Feb 21, 2018 Washington

That almost never
    works, but why do I feel it
    just might in this case?

Texwild, Naikoon, kemoarps and 4 others like this.
  10. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,056) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

No interest in a bottle of B3K but wouldn't mind having a pour on Sunday if it's still on at the UBG.

beertunes likes this.
  11. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (267) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

If you do get a pour on Sunday and there are still bottles available, I'm sure someone who is missing the release for their daughter's birthday party could use a couple.

12. distantmantra

Trader

You should come hang out with us.

kemoarps and jpbebeau like this.
  13. beertunes

Trader

Do we know what the price for B3K will be? The store up here most likely to get it, prices things at a premium, so I'd like a comparison point.

14. DamienI

DamienI Crusader (704) Jul 23, 2014 Washington
    Society

$22 each.

Wasatch, ChugChugPass and beertunes like this.
  15. beertunes

Trader

Gracias.

DamienI likes this.
  16. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,456) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

On a somewhat unrelated topic... Am at Tin Bucket enjoying a glass of draft coconut Bbomb. Flash alert... It's still very, very yummy.

kemoarps, jakecattleco, vurt and 5 others like this.
  17. derftron

derftron Disciple (351) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Drank a bottle to myself on Xmas eve. Must say that it’s right up there with 2013 Matt as my top BA beers ever. Pretty much perfect

kemoarps likes this.
  18. NWer

NWer Crusader (779) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

What? Fremont doesn't get any buzz anymore? What's happening at the b3k release? I couldn't make it down there. Hoping for at least a taste later.

66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  19. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (40) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

Still on draft but bottles ran out a little after one

DamienI and kemoarps like this.
  20. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (40) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

I ended up being the first person to miss bottles so I made up for it by having a second pour. We'll run and they warned us a couple times it would be close which i appreciated.

jakecattleco, Erik-P, NWer and 4 others like this.
  21. distantmantra

Trader

Was it 2 per person? Surprised they didn't cut back with the number of people there.

Oh well, looking forward to stopping in tomorrow for a tiny pour.

22. NWer

NWer Crusader (779) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I did go in after all. Too late for bottles but I had a pour. Good but not great IMO. Coconut B-Bomb is better but age might do wonders. I'll try to grab a bottle at this year's HHC if I get the chance.

kemoarps, DamienI and vurt like this.
  23. Hozemeen

Hozemeen Initiate (37) Feb 21, 2018 Washington

I wonder if greatness spoils itself through familiarity and repetition. The beer I had a pour of today is more or less the beer I remember from a couple years back, and a couple before that. Only thing that's really changed is me, my memory, and my expectations. And I can't fault a beer for that. I try to remember it, too.

I'll also say that I'm somewhat surprised that bottles sold out after a couple hours. I thought Fremont had finally managed to solve FOMO. But maybe it's best if not everything comes easy, and we simply appreciate all that we have. One of which is this pretty special brewery who just reached another major milestone. A big, big tip of the hat to them. We're in their debt.

24. DamienI

DamienI Crusader (704) Jul 23, 2014 Washington
    Society

Drove past around 12:30 and the line was still wrapped around the block so went out for brunch instead, came back around 2 when there was next to no line and had a pour.

Agreed, don't think I could do more than a few ounces of B3K in one sitting. Coconut B-Bomb on the other hand..

kemoarps, vurt and NWer like this.
  25. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (976) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

Was able to tour both fremonts yesterday as part of WA beer open house. Was really cool seeing Fremont West and its transformation since Matt showed some of us around a few years back. Lot of excitment around the fresh poured concrete for new fermenters and the very spiffy SS Brewtech pilot system. Big thanks to Tom for a great tour and the events team for putting it all together!

26. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (137) Jun 20, 2005 Washington
    Trader

Missed the release too
    Draft still available yay!
    Distro gods be kind

distantmantra and kemoarps like this.
  27. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (67) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

I thought B3K was incredible personally. A return to near B1K form after I thought B2K was missing the mouth feel of B1K.

Will be doing a blind taste test of the vert...sometime. I’d say soon but so many beer events coming up not sure when my liver will have room for a big barleywine night.

distantmantra and kemoarps like this.
  28. derftron

this goes without saying, but if any portland folks see B3K in the wild please send a smoke signal. I will do the same!

kemoarps likes this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Happy to help out if I can, but if the B3K distribution is anything like the B2K distribution last year, I wouldn't hold my breath. I was able to try B2K on tap at Arch Bridge and Tin Bucket last year, but my understanding is that both places ran through their bottle allocation within a few hours of it hitting the shelf. And I think that was with a one bottle per customer purchase restriction.

I doubt this year will be any different from last year.

30. distantmantra

Trader

B3K seemed a bit thin compared to B1K, but I didn't really care, it was pleasant with lots of toffee and bourbon up front. A good sipper to compliment my Pilsner pint, three ounces was more than enough.

31. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,496) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

3K was definitely sweet but man it was just... I quite enjoyed it.

beertunes likes this.
  32. Selz202

Selz202 Initiate (67) Jan 16, 2015 Washington

Ugh never had one of Fremonts Brew beers, I would say its my unicorn but they made one of those too and didn't get to try that either lol.

Fremont rares can be so hard to get in the Seattle market.

33. distantmantra

Trader

It's on tap at the brewery.

kemoarps and dirtylou like this.
  34. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (67) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

It’s expected to be in some different stores in the coming days so you might still have luck, but as mantra said the brewery has got you too.

35. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (98) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Belmont Station had some 3k as of Yesterday

36. distantmantra

Trader

Growler Guys on Lake City Way got in a case this morning. Probably gone by now, though.

37. ppilot

So don't be surprised if you see some 3k hit in places like new Seasons or Market of Choice

38. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you say that? I went to a couple of different MofC's last year in an attempt to obtain some B2K, and was put on a waiting list (with several others in fact). When I called back to ask about it (after the release date), I was told that they hadn't been allocated any. The MoC in West Linn is pretty well supplied (I'd gotten Rusty Nail there in the past), but they indicated that as far as they could tell, there was none available for them (or any other MofC).

I really hope you're right, as there's a New Seasons right near where I live that in the past has gotten a good selection of BA Fremont stuff, and then there's the Lake Oswego Zupan's and the West Linn MofC. All of them in the past have gotten a decent supply of BA Fremont beer.

39. derftron

Bottles of Brew 3k at Terwilliger MoC. I left some behind for you! Good luck

vurt likes this.
  40. ppilot

This was from an industry rep.