Fremont Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by John_M, Jan 24, 2019.

1. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,064) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I buy at least one can of each batch and sometimes the Sorachi Ace kicks my ass, and sometimes it's pretty subtle and I wouldn't even notice it if it weren't listed on the can. The hop burn with some early batches was definitely more of an issue, but fortunately that's gone with these most recent ones.

2. Naikoon

Naikoon Initiate (49) May 25, 2018 Washington

To each their own. It
    takes all sorts of hops, malts, and
    yeasts to make a world.

kemoarps, VashonGuy and vurt like this.
  3. DamienI

DamienI Crusader (704) Jul 23, 2014 Washington
    Society

I find it super peppery on the backend but I may be in the minority.

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,479) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

I get lemon and spice (almost a Belgian yeast type spiciness, sometimes) more than anything.

sharpski likes this.
  5. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,116) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

In Seattle for just a couple of days . . . I'm presuming I can't get BA bottles (BA Dark Star, Rusty Nail, etc.) at the taproom? Any thoughts on bottle shops, especially in the Capitol Hill/Downtown area that might carry any? Didn't find any at Chucks' last night.

6. Raj

Raj Aspirant (292) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

A1 hop shop in on 104th street had a pretty good selection of BA Fremont, including rusty nail, when I was in a week ago.

Superheatnsubcool and lloydboss like this.
  7. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (9,903) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

You can search on the websites for both BevMo and Total Wine to see what they have.

8. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,356) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

Try giving a call to Super Deli Mart in West Seattle (206-937-1442). Their stock of high demand bottles often lasts a bit longer than some of the more centrally located bottle shops. They are a half hour bus ride from downtown, so not too convenient for you, but not impossible.

Superheatnsubcool likes this.
  9. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (318) May 31, 2016 Washington

I second this. Right now Super Deli Mart has multiple vintages of bottles available of BBOMB, BBADS, CCBBOMB. They also have a few Rusty Nail, Coconut BBOMB, Coffee BBADS if I’m not mistaken. No limits. If you can swing it, you could walk away with most of Fremont’s BA offerings.

10. distantmantra

Trader

They regularly update their bottle inventory on Untappd, too.

11. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,272) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

This one was very nice!

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

shnsajax, vurt, jakecattleco and 3 others like this.
  12. beertunes

Trader

The Fremont thread was
    In danger of falling off
    So bumping it now

13. NWer

NWer Crusader (784) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Quietly waiting for F2F

14. efry1

efry1 Initiate (76) Sep 3, 2010 Texas

I understand all the interest in hops, but I am more interested in what beer style will be released for their 10th Anniversat

kemoarps likes this.
  15. distantmantra

Trader

Something big, dark and barrel aged.

16. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (379) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

It's 2019. All anniversary beers must be NE IPAs.

17. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,471) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Please someone post when this year's Cowiche Canyon comes out. It was my wife and I wedding beer back in 2015, and I try to be sure to obtain some every year. We get some down here in pdx, but it's not a lot and it tends to sell out quickly. Thnx!

Texwild, jakecattleco, Jinxed and 4 others like this.
  18. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,068) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

You just hush.

19. distantmantra

Trader

https://www.fremontbrewing.com/freshhops

The current ETA for Cowiche is September 26th. The first Field to Ferment was two days late, so take that as you will.

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Might just be perfect timing. We'll be driving up to Woodinville that weekend.

21. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (407) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

A lot of times living in the Olympia area is detrimental to finding some of the more sought after beers from places like Fremont. Yesterday was not that day. Stopped into Spuds Market looking for a Matchless beer that had sold out at the brewery and instead found a cooler with C&C BBomb, Coffee KDS, and Rusty! Merry early Christmas to me!

BuckeyeOne, kingsleyr, NWer and 8 others like this.
  22. NWer

What? Fremont has its 10th anniversary and not a word? No buzz at all? How far the mighty have fallen. -joking- We still love you guys and continue to look forward to your releases. :slight_smile:

23. distantmantra

Trader

I was down in Tacoma yesterday having family pictures taken and then went to Zwanze at E9, but my daughter and I stopped in early today for cherry soda (for her) and pours of the anniversary stout and the hazy Cowiche (for me). We had some fun with the photo props and even won one of the Instagram party packs. It’s been a great ten years and I’m excited where the next ten take things.

24. beertunes

Trader

Shhhh! I'm kinda hoping there's a bottle for me, somewhere.

But, yeah, I'm as surprised as you about the lack of chatter on this topic. Just goes to show: sometimes, dreams do come true.

Wasn't that long ago that a bunch of us (myself at the forefront) were bitching about the hype around Fremont's limited release beers. I'm pleased the ShitLords have moved on.

NWer, kemoarps, vurt and 3 others like this.
  25. NathanA

NathanA Initiate (59) Sep 26, 2015 Idaho
    Trader

I was fortunate enough to be able to fit in a visit to Fremont during the party on Saturday into my schedule, and enjoyed a pour of the Anniversary beer, which I quite liked. There were still plenty of bottles left for sale when I left somewhere around 7:30 - 8:00p...I'll be curious to know how long this lasts...

What's the DL on Cowiche this year? In past years, I seem to recall the "main" release was always Simcoe + Citra, but they'd often do like a hazy version that I think was (usually?) Equinox + Mosaic which wasn't usually released into distrib. The pour of Cowiche I had this weekend tasted different to me, and I think I read somewhere that the recipe is in fact different and it's now Simcoe + Citra + Mosaic or something? I also couldn't get a straight answer from the person serving me re: whether the hazy version was the same hop varietals as regular Cowiche or not. He seemed to think they were different but couldn't tell me what was used in what. The chalkboard also didn't say one way or the other.

kemoarps likes this.
  26. distantmantra

Trader

Regular Cowiche is Mosaic, Citra and Simcoe this year.

https://www.fremontbrewing.com/freshhops

kemoarps likes this.
  27. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

I had a Rusty Nail (not sure what year) at the Mecca Grade harvest party on Saturday and holy hell that thing was delicious. Maybe my top beer of the night in a crowd that included lots of Cantillon and Ale Apothecary.

28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I think your sentiment may be a tad pre-mature. The UBG was packed when the wife and I arrived around 2:00 on Saturday, and it was even more crowded by the time we left (a bit after 3:00). At least based on what I saw during our stay, there were still plenty of ShitLords in evidence.

29. derftron

derftron Disciple (355) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

i think whats happened is that Fremont now makes enough of their "limited release" beers and they see wide enough distro, that the shitlords no longer have power screw over the rest of us. Cant think of a Fremont release recently that i wasnt able to get my hands on without a ton of effort

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  30. VashonGuy

Society Trader

Heh, heh. I'm imagining T Shirts, or maybe elaborate jackets, like motorcycle gangs. l'm no graphic artist, but maybe one of you could design something appropriate.

jakecattleco, beertunes and kemoarps like this.
  31. distantmantra

Trader

10th Anniversary is a brewery only release ($30 a bottle, one per person) that managed to make it through Sunday. There will still cases available when I was there yesterday around 11:30am.

beertunes and kemoarps like this.
  32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

As near as I could tell, there were no purchase restrictions for this beer on Saturday (I bought 4 bottles). In fact, they were pre-bagged with two bottles in each bag. I saw several groups of the ShitLord variety who had considerably more bottles than that.

beertunes and kemoarps like this.
  33. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (67) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

The limit was 2, you bought twice the limit... and are calling other people shitlords?
    :wink:

beertunes and distantmantra like this.
  34. VashonGuy

Society Trader

Enough of the discussion on bottle limits ... how was the beer? Significantly different from other Fremont Bourbon Barrel Stouts? Or more of the same excellence?

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  35. distantmantra

Trader

It's got cherry in it and was partially aged in vanilla extract barrels. It was nice, but I'm glad I just got a 4 oz pour and didn't drop $30 on a bottle.

36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I think if you showed up with a herd of mules and purchased several cases, the name probably fits.

I'll take your word for it that there was a two bottle limit, but I didn't see any signs indicating there were any purchase limits. When I got up to the counter I asked the bartender if there were any bottles left. His response was "sure, how many do you want." I said I'd like 4, if that was OK. He said "no problem," and brought me 4. If he had told me there was a two bottle limit, I would have gotten two.

37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I would agree with @distantmantra's take on the beer. However, I'm hoping it will improve a bit with age (it's a bit sweet and hot presently), and because I have 3 bottles (I'm giving one to a friend who just got a job transfer to North Dakota), I'll get to find out.

Personally, I didn't get much cherry flavor, and I thought the Heaven Hill bourbon flavor was fairly subtle. The most prominent flavors to me were vanilla, milk chocolate and molasses. I got a 6 ounce glass, and felt the beer improved considerably as it warmed up a bit. It's a good beer, but I wouldn't say it's better than Rusty Nail and some of the KDS/B-Bomb variants Fremont puts out.

38. NWer

I think there is.

39. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,527) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

When I popped in yesterday afternoon there were still a couple of boxes behind the bar. Irregardless of whether it needs a little time to mellow (I didn't see draft pours available so have not tried it yet), I deeply appreciate that I was able to stroll in a couple of days after the release and grab a couple of bottles on a leisurely monday afternoon. We live in a wonderful place!

40. JuanFushashi

JuanFushashi Initiate (145) Feb 5, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I’m visiting Seattle and Fremont for the first time this weekend and I’m happy to see it will coincide with the Dark Star release. Based on past years, does it typically sell out in a day? Thanks!