Fremont expansion and information/news about Fremont Brewing

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose90

Moose90 Meyvn (1,404) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

Any chance that B1000 is making it to distribution? I doubt it, but seeing how there is still plenty of CCBBOMB to go around, I am just wondering. . .

2. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (167) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

from page 25, yes.

3. lordofthelambics

lordofthelambics Initiate (73) Feb 14, 2014 Washington

YMMV, obviously, and that's the great thing about talking/exploring beers. I only had a small sample of the beer since I was in a hurry and that was my initial impression. The sweetness was overwhelming, and I thought that gave the beer a false sense of having a bigger body than it actually did. Possibly in the minority, but definitely not a knock on Fremont, and certainly didn't stop me from picking up bottles to see where this one goes. Cheers!

4. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (406) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Jesus, I was hoping it would at least last until the weekend.

5. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Rusty was sold (2 per person I think) at Pinebox when it opened and sold out there in a couple hours before the keg was tapped at 5:00. At Fremont it lasted at least the first day, I'm pretty sure I went back on my lunch break the next day to get a second.

6. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,056) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I remember Rusty being a strict 1 per person at the brewery. I had people ask me if the same people were still working the bar, in the hopes they could go back and buy one from someone who didn't remember them.

7. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Right, I think it might have been two per person at the Pinebox when it originally went on sale (I didn't actually get there in time, just remember people having two).

8. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Couldn't get there til 8:30 last night due to work stuff, was shocked that it was gone. Had a pour, at least. Really good. I know it's a barleywine but for some reason it reminded me of how Abyss used to taste in like 09/10. Weird, I know.

9. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

I'm having another Cowiche after a long day and I just have to say, I think Fremont has outdone themselves this year. Really great stuff. I'll be looking for more soon...

sharpski, BuckeyeOne and TheBungyo like this.
  10. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (267) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

I asked today and I believe they sold through 60 cases yesterday.
    Well, there's KDS in a week anyway...

kemoarps and NWer like this.
  11. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

Yes, and then KDS variants a month or so later, and then B-Bomb and its variant(s). Also, in the midst of all this, somewhere Rusty Nail will return. In short, not all is lost.

fsck likes this.
  12. NWer

NWer Crusader (779) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I never met a barleywine that didn't age well. I plan to put at least a year on mine and string them out from there.

kemoarps and TheBronze like this.
  13. draheim

I though OBR was better fresh. Still good after a couple years but I felt that it lost something with age.

14. distantmantra

Trader

Seattle Beer Week 5 says hi. The people at Fremont would back me up on that.

15. NWer

NWer Crusader (779) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I still have an OBR. Will have to try it. For science.

draheim likes this.
  16. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (267) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Totally agreed. Had a bottle last fall and a small pour a few weeks ago. Didn't love either. But I remember really liking it at release.

mdaschaf likes this.
  17. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (406) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Pint Defiance had some as of 4 pm today, but I'm new here, so how that correlates to distro in and around Seattle would be better answered by someone else.

18. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (99) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Distro 101: King County first, Pierce County next, followed by the rest of the counties, if they get it at all. Like a pebble's ripple on the water.

Pint Defiance is solid. so is Tacoma boys. I hit one or both often.

In Kitsap we got Cowiche yesterday. Most likely will not get 1000 at all. I spend a lot of time on the I-5 corridor. I carry growlers in the car at all time. Carpe beerem.

NWer and sharpski like this.
  19. NathanA

NathanA Initiate (57) Sep 26, 2015 Idaho
    Trader

Long time listener, first time caller.

There have been hints of this scattered throughout this thread, but can anyone tell me definitively whether any inventory of last year's BA Fremont beers (KDS + both varieties, BBomb + CCBBomb) is still to be found in certain western WA bottle shops (and if so, where?), or have they been depleted for a while now? I am a little concerned that we are not specifically guaranteed to see the return of CCBBomb or Spice Wars (although the few rumors I've heard are encouraging), and so want to stock up for the holidays if possible and plan my next visit to the area accordingly.

Thanks!

-- Nathan

20. Robomunky

Robomunky Devotee (400) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Society

The only thing I've seen for at least a couple of months now is regular BBomb. Saw it at Beer Authority just yesterday, on Lake City Way.

21. draheim

Saw some BBomb at Chuck's Greenwood this morning. Haven't seen any of the others on that list in a while.

Erik-P likes this.
  22. kevinrivers

kevinrivers Initiate (32) Nov 16, 2014 Washington

99 Bottles in Federal Way is pulling some cellar items out today, including a vert of Bbomb and KDS sets from last year (with Coffee and Spice). Won't last long I imagine.

23. Jaap

Jaap Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Washington

Spice Wars on tap at Elizabeth Station in Bellingham today. A few bottles of bbomb left but all the KDS and variants are long gone.

24. Robomunky

Robomunky Devotee (400) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Society

For sure no variants at the event on Thursday, right? I'm working but would leave early for variants.

25. distantmantra

Trader

From what I've heard, they're still tweaking coffee KDS.

26. Anaxagoris

Anaxagoris Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Washington

Coffe has definitely been tweeked. Had a little taste and there's way more coffee this time round. Chucks greenwood has regular BBADS for sale as of right now!!

27. itsThatBoyE

itsThatBoyE Aspirant (276) Feb 10, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Ok, I don't want to freak everyone out, but this year's KDS weighs in 14.5%. :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

woemad, Anaxagoris and beertunes like this.
  28. EdwardAbbey

Do you know what they did differently this time around to account for such a difference from the previous years?

29. itsThatBoyE

itsThatBoyE Aspirant (276) Feb 10, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Not sure. It is interesting that the last two BA bottles they've released (Brew 1000, KDS '15) have been the two highest ABV they've ever released... Maybe a change in their process? I sure hope KDS has that mouthfeel that the 1000 has (but perhaps not as much sweetness).

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  30. EdwardAbbey

I can easily see why BB Brew 1000 was a big one, being a barley-wine aged 15 months in bourbon barrels. But the changes to KDS must have been significant if it is indeed 14.5% this year, while "only" being in the 11% (or less?) range since its initial release. Maybe a higher percentage of the blend saw extended ageing, or they just started off with a bigger version of Dark Star? Whatever they did differently, I'm sure, knowing and trusting Fremont, it won't be disappointing.

kemoarps likes this.
  31. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

The "change" in our barrel-aged ABVs is due to our amazing lab, run by Robert the Wizard, and not due to a recipe change....turns out we are picking up about 3+ % ABV whilst we age in these 15 year old barrels. All hail The Lab!

32. EdwardAbbey

I will lift my next Fremont goblet to white lab coats, safety goggles, petri dishes, and microscopes.

woemad and kemoarps like this.
  33. jag21

jag21 Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Washington

Does this mean that prior years were likely higher than 11% as well?

34. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (105) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

I don't think so, I think this meant that they were able to squeeze some extra whisk(e)y out of the barrels this go around. TTB regulations require breweries to be within +/- .3(I think? Maybe .03... I know wine is .5) and I doubt a brewery of Fremonts size is going to make that big of a risk.

jag21 likes this.
  35. TheBronze

TheBronze Disciple (356) Apr 16, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Congrats on BA Brew 1000. Outstanding beer. Exciting to hear about the evolution of your lab and barrel program, and what it means for KDS and BBomb. Fun times!

36. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,379) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

I am acting under the assumption that I will show up at the UBG at 6pm-ish tomorrow night and there will be no KDS available. Prove me wrong beer-tools.

37. distantmantra

Trader

I'm guessing they made way more of it than they did Brew 1000. All I know is that I'll be stopping in around 3pm on my way home from work.

It was $15 last year, right? $17 this year.

sharpski likes this.
  38. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,379) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Perhaps in the future the 'heron hunting club' could include the right to purchase guaranteed allocations since we're quickly sliding down the slope into suburban Chicago....

Probably shouldn't have poured a bunch of bottles for those Colorado hippies at WTF!? last week either :slight_smile: (just kidding, was glad to try Batch 1000 there)

sharpski and distantmantra like this.
  39. EdwardAbbey

I will be there earlier in the day than you, but I promise to operate by my usual code: buying less than the allowable allotment, no mules, no returning the next day (let alone later on the same day!), no telling anyone else (aside from confirming information already publicly available), and no mechanical conveyance of any kind. I think your fears, in this case, will be overblown.

BuckeyeOne and dirtylou like this.
  40. EdwardAbbey

Right. But, if you account for inflation, and the fact that they have markedly increased the ABV through work in their lab, the extra $2 is a small price to pay. It's not an arbitrary or avaricious increase, at any rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.