Fremont expansion and information/news about Fremont Brewing

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWer

NWer Crusader (792) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

kidding. On reflection, not funny. sorry

2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,522) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm assuming Larry was just making a joke.

Given Texwild's passion for his beer, my guess is that hell would have to freeze over before he ever sold out to InBev, and probably not even then. :-)

Texwild, woemad and NWer like this.
  3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,073) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

It was clearly a joke. :wink:

Texwild and NWer like this.
  4. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (777) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

I knew it was a joke --- I just didn't get what the joke was. I'm a little slow sometimes. :flushed:

NWer and distantmantra like this.
  5. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

Actually, we will sell out to any company that takes the honest name Mega Beer Revenue Engine And Craft Beer Enemy.

The endless haiku and conversational diversions are what makes this special....

On that note, what would you if you were starting a new brewery in Washington? Think like you have to pay bills to live and adhere to your vision...Vision first.

Or, what bourbon do you like that is aged 10 years or more? I'm looking for more barrel partners and we are drinking through a lot of bourbons but the liver and lifestyle can handle only so much...bourbon has to be 10 years or older.

6. Texwild

Industry

The endless conversational detours, the haiku, the routine questions about lines, scarcity economics, hazy IPA as a fad, and puns, lawn jokes, mules, etc are enough to drive one to flee this community....that's the joke. And also NWer's point. He's clever like that.

7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,946) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Hyperlocal model. 3-5bbl system, small, but focused kitchen. 12-20 employees, limited-to-no packaging or distro. Truly local/neighborhood.
    In simpler terms: the North Fork model.

8. AlohaStyle

AlohaStyle Initiate (88) May 28, 2010 Washington

North Fork... how many employees to support? Fremont, to keep going and how many employees to support as you grow? That's the question. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Haha, love it Matt. :slight_smile:

beertunes likes this.
  9. AlohaStyle

And btw, Hazy IPAs is not a fad. :slight_smile:

10. AlohaStyle

Bourbon? Oy, I have too much.... I'll pour some Antique Weller and be a happy man.

11. BuckeyeOne

Society

Said every other fanboy in the middle of a fad...

12. beertunes

Society Trader

Yeah, they have a very small staff. Only a couple each bartenders and servers, I don't know for sure how many kitchen staff (maybe 6-8?), and the brewery department is one dude. They only brew 600-ish bbl/year. But, any neighborhood or small town could support that size brewery. I don't know what the new owners idea for the place is, but the brewer is happy, so that bodes well.

It all comes down to what the business wants to accomplish. Being, and remaining, small and neighborhood oriented isn't for everyone. They're never gonna make enough to buy Paul Allen's used yacht, but the flexibility gives lifestyle choices that likely aren't there in a place the size of a Black Raven, Kulshan, or Fremont. I doubt their entire brew staff could just decide to run up the mountain because it's an epic pow day.:wink:

sharpski and 66jzmstr like this.
  13. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (389) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

23-year Evan Williams Blue Label gets my vote. Perennial had great success with that barrel.

As an added bonus, when you're done sampling I'll take the rest of the bottle to ensure your liver remains healthy.

If I ever had the opportunity to purchase a bottle of Antique Weller, I'd be a happy man too. Trying to find rare bourbon makes me appreciate the beer world a lot more.

14. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

I thought the joke was
    about life's cruelty, when
    burned by what you love...

As for spirits, I
    know squat. One rabbit hole is
    quite enough for me...

I've never dreamt of
    starting a brewhouse. But I
    support those who have.:slight_smile:

NWer likes this.
  15. BuckeyeOne

Society

I tried to homebrew
    It was more expensive than
    Cost of retail

NWer, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  16. beertunes

Society Trader

Yeah, it's great for folks who like to do "projects" in their free time, but it's a lot of time and money.

woemad, NWer and 66jzmstr like this.
  17. BuckeyeOne

Society

And given that I already spend much of my "free time" drinking beer, homebrewing actually cut into my beer drinking time...

woemad, Texwild, VashonGuy and 6 others like this.
  18. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,375) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

If we had a contest to nominate "Post of the Year", I'd start with this one. Humor and substance, all in one post.

woemad, Texwild and beertunes like this.
  19. Texwild

Industry

All good points, but I'd happily put Fremont's staff epic pow days, rock climbing and biking, against most anyone's who is not working in the said industries days...and we provide great salaries, health care (covering 90% of the cost), 401k benefits, free transportation, free healthy meals, free beer, professional training budgets, etc...a certain size affords benefits for more than the owners. That's the point in so many ways...it's not just about my dream....it's offering that dream to many...Ask the brewers, packaging line team, retail team of many breweries and they can't afford to work in their current jobs for long because it's not a career, it's a passion...think like a worker and you'll get Fremont's vision a bit more...passion with career opportunity.

I get it that not every brewery owner wants to do what we do, but I think it's important to think about our shared passion, craft brewing, beyond the owners lifestyle and think about all the workers and their dreams. Different strokes. Ours is passion for the best beer we can dream, with career opportunities and financial gain for our team...Because Beer Matters!

20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,522) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Obviously (I think), this is one of the reasons I/we like to buy your beer. It helps that you tend to make really good beer, but that hardly sets you apart in this part of the world. No, I think it's the obvious passion you bring to the table, and your commitment to providing (what sounds like) excellent employment/career opportunities for the folks who work at the brewery. As I'm sure you know, I don't make it up to the UBG all that often, but the times I've stopped by, everyone there seems to be happy, friendly, and intent on making sure customers are provided a good (and usually fun) experience.

It makes a difference (IMHO).

woemad and Texwild like this.
  21. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (409) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Where do I sign up?

22. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (320) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Trader

A friend of mine in college had a motto of "pay a little, and drink for free" when trying to get enough money for a keg.

23. beertunes

Society Trader

To quote Judge Smails: The world needs ditch-diggers too, Danny.

If one is willing to take the most entry-level position, in any aspect of the industry, rewards like this are not uncommon.

woemad, Eddiehop and itracy63 like this.
  24. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (409) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Ahh, if only I were young again and could afford entry level.

woemad and BuckeyeOne like this.
  25. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (138) Jun 20, 2005 Washington
    Trader

It looks like HHC discussion mostly fell into the Rusty thread, but I'll drop a line here. Event went super smoothly, presale of cellar items with leftover onsite - brilliant! Rusty vert - outstanding (and I lucked out getting the @Texwild room)! Food was fantastic and ample, as were of course the many beverages. Having the taps organized by theme did lead to a little crowding at first, but it eased as the flights started and everyone's buzz began to kick in. Looking forward to @beerscenes pics... and next time!

Texwild, DamienI, sharpski and 6 others like this.
  26. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (266) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'll just drop these two in for you and @Texwild:

Not much to add to the posts here and elsewhere; a great evening!

27. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (976) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

Had a great time closing out SBW at Fremont on Sunday. Free food, great beer, not too crowded, an awesome event. Was able to get a pour of the Belmont Station as well. Will have to mark it off on the calendar for next year!

28. y2kawakami

y2kawakami Aspirant (200) Sep 11, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

Heading out there soon
    Hoping Midnight Still remains
    for onsite drinking

29. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (482) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

We got out there later in the afternoon after a family Mother's Day event, and unfortunately Belmont Station and Citra version of Head Full of Dynamite had already kicked, but I got to try the Mosaic version of the latter, the staff were attentive and friendly, and the wife, daughter, and dog all had a great time - as did I!

Texwild, DamienI and EdwardAbbey like this.
  30. distantmantra

Trader

The Fremont BBQ is my favorite part of Seattle Beer Week every year. Sad I wasn't able to attend, but I was building my wife a new garden box for Mother's Day. Oh well!

31. DamienI

DamienI Crusader (704) Jul 23, 2014 Washington
    Society

The BBQ was outstanding, actually this and HHC are really the only "beer week" events I attend.

HFoD: Citra was excellent and HFoD: Mosaic was even better, here's hoping for a year round hazy in a can in the future! Lush was as tasty as ever and will be a fridge staple as it was during its prior seasonal stint.

Texwild, ewendel and 66jzmstr like this.
  32. drone

drone Disciple (377) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

That raspberry/orange zest gose is pretty fantastic. Took it with me on a little trip this past weekend:

[​IMG]

Raj, Erik-P, Texwild and 6 others like this.
  33. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

I don't know the rule on crowlers, but this is a winning #fremontcanpaign shot if ever there was one. And you should seriously consider submitting it, if you haven't already.:slight_smile:

How fortunate we are to live in this special place, where the beer, great and bountiful as it is, is still vastly outdone by the natural beauty which surrounds us. I'm not sure if that fact plays any part in making our scene that little bit more relaxed and marked by a wider perspective, but it definitely doesn't hurt...

Texwild, balto22, ballardbeer and 5 others like this.
  34. motherofgod

motherofgod Initiate (62) Apr 19, 2016 Washington
    Trader

Are these benefits that you offer to all employees? or just select employees that work full time? I know some people that worked part time in the UBG and they only received the free beer and none of the aforementioned benefits.

35. Texwild

Industry

We can only afford to offer benefits to full time employees. The vast majority of our employees are full time because we prefer to have full time employees so we can offer them benefits and carry the cost during the low seasons when we don't need all that labor.

Some folks, only in the UBG, PREFER to work part time because they are students or artists and we support their passion. In the last seven years, there have been times when we have not been able to afford to have only full time employees in the UBG. Full time is 32 hours. We have only 3 part time employees outside of the UBG on the packaging line and hope to grow enough to be able to afford them as full time employees.

If you wish to speak more, let me know and I will gladly talk to you. Our reputation as a good employer stands for itself and many here can speak to that truth. Let me know if you are truly curious and I will bore you with conversation about our values and practices...gladly.

ewendel, sharpski, drone and 3 others like this.
  36. Texwild

Industry

Thanks for the kind words...the extra kick this year that made us happy to provide were the free Dicks burgers on the way out.

DamienI, Rip_City and kingsleyr like this.
  37. Texwild

Industry

I'm still around if you want to talk.

NWer, y2kawakami and beertunes like this.
  38. BuckeyeOne

Society

Would you mind enlightening us all with a list of small/medium-sized businesses of which you have direct knowledge that provide full benefits to part-time employees? Thanks.

NWer, vurt, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  39. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Initiate (124) Feb 2, 2016 Oregon
    Trader

This is what I was thinking. Pretty standard in my experience that benefits go to full timers only. Regardless of industry. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if I were one of your friends I would be quite excited about receiving free beer as a work bonus instead of expecting to get insurance and retirement benefits from a part time gig.

BuckeyeOne, vurt and beertunes like this.
  40. distantmantra

Trader

Hey @Texwild, any possible timeframe on the HFoD cans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.