Fresh Hop 2020

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BBThunderbolt, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsucoug96

wsucoug96 May 18, 2010 Washington
    Trader

A few new ones to add as the season winds down. I still have 5 or 6 cans of HFOFH and will buy more if I see it around. Think I drank that through November last year. Just had Stoup FH Idaho-7 and Mosaic tonight, I thought both were quite good. As someone else said earlier in this thread, just very clean. Also had a Lagunitas Born Yesterday; not sure it qualifies or not, but I always really enjoy that beer.

P.S. Cheers to the Astros losing tonight. I think it's wonderful that they came all the way back from down 3-0 to tie the series, only to lose in Game 7. Increases the pain.

Updated FH rankings, not that they mean a damn thing.

Top tier
    1. Fremont HFOFH
    2. Fremont Cowiche Canyon
    3. Sunriver Green Initiative
    4. Reuben's FH Double Crush
    5. Bend Strata FH
    6. Breakside What Fresh Beast
    7. Urban Family Stratosphere
    8. Stoup FH Mosaic
    9. Ruse FH Translator
    10. Lagunitas Born Yesterday
    11. Single Hill Skyfinder
    ----
    Second tier—still very, very good
    12. Stoup FH Idaho-7
    13. Single Hill Ecstasy of Green
    14. Bend Fresh Trop Simcoe
    15. Bale Breaker Homegrown #4
    16. Stoup FH Citra
    ----
    Third tier—not bad but not necessarily seeking it out again
    17. Fremont Field to Ferment (I just can't do Sabro hops)
    18. Sasquatch FH Mouth Pillow
    19. Matchless CSA
    ----
    Fourth tier—I appreciate the effort, but really not for me
    20. Hellbent Amarillo Fresh Hop Hazy IPA
    21. Riverbend Millennials Hate Centennials
    22. Crux Pert Near

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I’m a little surprised but not shocked that Fremont would be #1 & 2. Not that it really matters. I’m not sure how much Fremont cans gets distributed outside of Washington. But we here in CA gets our fair share of Fremont. And this year we got all 3 versions of their wet hops. Before we left for our 4 day Seattle (Puyallup) trip last weekend I bought Fremonts CCFHA & FtFFHP 6pk & 4pk respectively at my locals in OC. Both were very good, IMO. HFOFH/Hazy hadn’t shown up yet. So when up north I purposely didn’t get any of Fremonts cans. Instead I tried everything WA, except for Great Notion‘s Georgetown IPA’s(OR or WA?). I enjoyed everything from Fort George including their FoG. But the last night I had a fresh can of Fresh Hop Citra From Crucible that was a couple of 3 days old. It was my favorite. Back home in OC, CA I bought Fremonts HFOFH/Hazy and yes it was delicious. But can you compare a fresh wet hop hazy to a clear wet hop? I would put them in 2 different categories.
    Excellent list by the way. It helped me while I was in WA. Thx.

3. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Fortunately, it's also on tap today at Imperial bottle shop on SE Division. Tis indeed quite good.

4. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Enjoying a Cloudburst/Holy Mountain wetwired. And I had another can of Cone & Cone last evening, that one is among my absolute favorites from fresh hop season 2020. Really outstanding stuff. Cheers!

5. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Enjoying this one from Abomination. Glad to bring this one back to OC.
    [​IMG]

sharpski, rrock44 and snaotheus like this.
  6. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Sitting on the patio with Mrs. vurt, enjoying the mild weather and drinking an Oakshire Hop Harvest Fresh Hop Hazy IPA.

[​IMG]

It's too sweet for me for an IPA and I don't get a lot of fresh hop character to offset that sweetness. Ah well.

Mrs. vurt, on the other hand, is enjoying a Fort George Farmer's Annuary IPA which was canned 9 days ago.

7. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

The last fresh hop beer in my fridge at this end of the weekend is This One Goes To 12, a fresh hop imperial IPA collaboration between Single Hill and Stoup:

[​IMG]

The label tells us there are multiple additions of Chinook and Mosaic, and the nose confirms it with plenty of pine sap and diesel. It is less sweet than the Oakshire beer I had before this, with layers of fresh hop goodness in the finish. Mango, pine, blueberry, diesel, a little citrus tang threading everything together.

Sampling these Single Hill beers has been a real trip, and I'm glad to have had the chance to try them this season.

8. wsucoug96

wsucoug96 May 18, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Not sure if you are aware, but Abomination isn't from here—it's in Pennsylvania, according to BA. They're part of something called the Twelve Percent Beer Project, through which some breweries on the other side of the country—a lot of contract breweries, apparently—have distribution here. I wondered why the New Seasons in Mercer Island (RIP) all of a sudden had a bunch of beers from CT and other far-flung places, and that's why. (I haven't had the Citra version of this particular beer, but I thought the Simcoe one was really good.) https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/12-percent-beer-project.607101/

9. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

First up tonight, FH Super Ripe from Great Notion. Big juicy citrus and dank hops, but it doesn't really hit the "fresh" notes, maybe the sweetness is hiding the grassy green hop character. Good but not great for me.

10. afrokaze

FH Pallet Jack w/ Mosaic is absolutely crushing it. Huge fruit and resin, hop aroma is amazing, nice green bitter edge to it. Top tier for this year, no doubt.

11. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I'm finally checking back in on this thread after having had way more fresh hops than I thought I'd have. I'm down to my last can in the fridge and will soon take a beer break. Looking back, I'd say without any reservation that the Stoup fresh hops were far and away the best of what I had, nearly every variety. As I might have mentioned, I detest hazies so had only a few of those and always by accident --- server either didn't know it was a hazy or had a different definition of a hazy than me.

My biggest disappointment this fresh hop season was Fremont. I usually buy a shit ton of Cowiche but could only get my hands on two 6-packs --- and I thought this year's was as good as always and always near the top of my favorites. The limited production of Cowiche was/is disappointing in and of itself. But as I'm noticing F2F (not a fan of Sabro) languishing on the shelves and seeing some HFOFH still on the shelves, I wonder what they were going for. Maybe chasing the fickle hipster/Millenial/Gen Z crowd was a miscalculation? Regardless, Fremont disappointingly has moved to a second-tier brewery for me. And this after many, many years as a shameless fanboy.

Cheers, my friends.

12. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

?????

HFOFH was damn good this year (IMO. and im also not a big fan of hazies). Cowiche was also excellent (even you said so). Didnt try F2F yet, but not sure how that beer relates to millenial/GenZ crowd?

Distro / brewing capacity / product line stuff comes up all the time for these places, especially during a pandemic. I also wish more CC (especially fresh CC) would have made it out to the public, but I think Fremont is still as good as ever

13. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

"Second-tier" overall, or just "second-tier" for fresh hops?

If it's the latter, I'm a little perplexed as to how one disappointing season of fresh hop beers can undo "many, many years as a shameless fanboy."

Edit: No disrespect intended. I wouldn't try to tell you what you should or shouldn't enjoy, or why. More than anything else, I'm curious as to what happened between you and Fremont.

14. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Maybe I was feeling a bit salty this morning when I wrote all this...I still feel some love for Fremont, especially the peeps. But I realize that I'm not hanging out at the UBG and I buy less and less of their beer, especially their new hoppy releases. It's not my scene and their shift to hazies isn't my thing.

15. derftron

had a FH IPA from second profession brewing last night. not bad, not great either.

16. sloejams

sloejams Oct 8, 2004 Oregon
    Trader

I did my best to drink as many of these as possible in my first Fresh Hop season living in Oregon. It was a glorious time. Thank you all for your recommendations. Like many of you, I found Fresh Hop Pallet Jack to be amongst the cream of the crop. Breakside made some magic, as well. The half dozen or so of theirs that I sampled were all top notch. They could probably make a fresh hop bowl of dog food and I'd enjoy it. Fresh Hop Wander Jack, mmmmmm. Biggest surprise for me was Deschutes BFR Nugget Fresh Hop IPL - piny and crisp and just lovely.

17. derftron

nice! welcome to the NW. glad you found a random one that surprised you. My surprise of the year was probably the Migration Fresh outta Portland.... that first run of cans were glorious. totally agree on Breakside, as i think this was their best year making FH beers. Fresh Guy 1 hour after being tapped was sublime.

18. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

And without you and @vurt talking it up, I would have completely missed it- thanks again!

PerfectPorter and snaotheus like this.
  19. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

FH Pallet Jack never disappoints!

What's the details on the Deschutes IPL, packaged with distro (fingers crossed)?

PerfectPorter likes this.
  20. sloejams

Trader

agreed on Migration - I had a couple different hop versions of the Fresh Outta Portland based on the chatter here, really nice and super fresh.

PerfectPorter likes this.
  21. sloejams

Trader

not sure if there is, I had it at their big facility in Bend

jakecattleco likes this.
  22. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

Pretty sure Chasin' Freshies was the only packaged Fresh Hop from Deschutes this year.

PerfectPorter and jakecattleco like this.
  23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Enjoying a glass of Bend Brewing fresh trop on draft. Still quite good, though the fh character isn't quite as bright as it was a couple weeks ago.

Fresh trop out of the can was the last fh beer I had last year, and I suspect it will likely be the last one I'll drink this year as well.

24. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

FtF just arrived today at the Bend Costco :rolling_eyes:

BBThunderbolt, PerfectPorter and vurt like this.
  25. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Kegs of Cowiche have been showing up on our side of town this week. Ah well.

BBThunderbolt and PerfectPorter like this.
  26. draheim

Society

Just picked up an Old Schoolhouse Fresh Hop IPA and Single Hill Skyfinder. Drinking the Old Schoolhouse now. It's the end of October. I think I will probably just finish off what I have and stop investing in more new fresh hop beers after today.

I managed to try 20 new-to-me fresh hop beers this season, which is probably a personal record (though I've never really tracked it before). Cheers!

27. afrokaze

A couple more FH highlights:

Stormbreaker Kaiser Saison - herbal and citrus hop character to balance out the phenolic yeast, has some banana and clove that makes me think it's more in the French saison style. Doesn't scream over the top FH but still well made.

Fort George Rock Paper Sterling - now this one is in your face FH. Fruity and spicy, super dry, cracker malt. Almost tough to call this a Pilsner because the hops are huge and green, but who cares, it's excellent.

draheim, rrock44, vurt and 5 others like this.
  28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The wife and I are doing a driving trip to Utah to visit the national parks. But as the drive just happens to go through Baker City...

It's just as well the Barley Brown taproom is so far away, or I'd be a regular. Anyway, was able to sample both the simcoe and mosaic fh pallet jack side by side. Preferred the mosaic, which actually surprised me. Regardless, both versions were excellent, and it was fun to try them side by side.

woemad, draheim, VashonGuy and 12 others like this.
  29. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Speak the truth, John, I promise I won't tell - were the parks the destination or the excuse for a trip to BB?

30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Wellll....

31. DefenCorps

Society Trader

BTW, do they do crowlers at BB? Our plans for Thanksgiving happened to have us mysteriously driving by Baker City as well. It seems like it'd be a nice spot to stop, grab a bite,, have the kids stretch their legs, gas up and maybe fill up the cooler so that I'm able to rid myself of a perishable thirst as soon as we reach our destination.

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yes they do. Not any of the fh beers (unfortunately), but everything else when we stopped by.

#952 John_M, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  33. Reidrover

Reidrover Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Tonight Bend Brewing Fresh Trop. At Westside. Like above probably my last FH of the season. Nice but lost some of it's lustre.
    Overall it's been a fantastic FH season.

34. afrokaze

A couple more new ones tonight-

Wolf Tree Tumornator FH Triple IPA: says made with Citra, Mosaic, and Centennial. Decent aroma, especially the Centennial and Mosaic. There's some good hop flavor but it's buried under a ton of sweet caramel malts, and comes across as almost a bit oxidized.

Ninkasi Centennial FH: If your idea of FH is literally chewing on hop cones, then this one's for you. Straight orange rind and bitter pith, grass clippings, and no malt to speak of.

Migration Straight Outta Portland: This one is a winner. Grapefruit, melon, pine resin, a bit dank. Big Strata energy comes through in the nose. Good bitterness and that green FH edge.

PerfectPorter, draheim, vurt and 6 others like this.
  35. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I’ve had 44 unique fresh hop beers this year. Might be a couple stragglers next weekend.

36. DefenCorps

Society Trader

FIF-TY!FIF-TY!

37. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Heh. Highly unlikely. I don't drink during the week and that would require me to buy six more. I have no more uniques in the fridge at the moment.

PerfectPorter and DefenCorps like this.
  38. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

MOAR!!!

39. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Can I just say I'm on the Cowiche Canyon train now? I almost passed on it because I wasn't interested in a 5 week old fresh hop beer, but im glad i didn't- it blew my mind. 2021 and its hop harvest can't come soon enough!

40. draheim

Society

Drinkin’ a Skyfinder fresh hop hazy IPA from Single Hill in Yakima. This might just do it for me in terms of new FH beers in 2020. It’s been a good run.

And yes, Cowiche is definitely fading now.

[​IMG]

#960 draheim, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.