Fresh Hop Season 2018

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Superheatnsubcool, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (287) May 31, 2016 Washington

2. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,098) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Me too. I see that in addition to the Yakima event, event details are now available for the Hood River and Portland fresh hop events as well.

woemad, sharpski and vurt like this.
  3. derftron

derftron Disciple (301) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

*swoon*

woemad, sharpski and kemoarps like this.
  4. vurt

vurt Savant (943) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

I already threw this out there for the NW WBAYDN crowd, but there's a Groupon available for General Admission tickets to the Fresh Hop Fest in Yakima, and it's quite a good deal.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/fresh-hop-ale-festival

I don't need to point out that every dollar saved on admission is a dollar available for fresh hop beer, right?

Nice to see Modern Times and Von Ebert amongst the other luminaries for the fest. CAN'T WAIT.

woemad and ballardbeer like this.
  5. John_M

Premium

@vurt

I always go to the Hood River event each year, and plan on going again this year. If I recall correctly, you've gone in the past as well, and I thought I've read that you've gone to the Yakima event as well. Is the latter that much better do you think than the HR event?

I've been tempted to go to the Yakima event, but the added driving time and likelihood that I'll need to get a hotel room afterwards has always made me rethink the decision. Also, I like the HR event, and have always managed to have a good time there (and like the fact that I can just drive home afterwards). Is it worth the extra time and expense to go to the Yakima event?

woemad likes this.
  6. derftron

pray to god Laurelwood makes FH Workhorse this year.

vurt, woemad, Moose90 and 7 others like this.
  7. John_M

Premium

And also pray to god that it's as good as the 2016 version was.

(I was not all that greatly impressed by the version from last year).

ballardbeer likes this.
  8. derftron

I dont think they made it last year? I know they made FH Red and a FH Kolsch but i thought they skipped it last year

66jzmstr likes this.
  9. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (451) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Premium

This was my recollection as well.

10. John_M

Premium

You're correct. I thought they made a limited amount of some other FH IPA later in the season, but you're right. I had forgotten that they didn't make a FH workhorse last year (which would help to explain why I don't have a very positive recollection of it). :sunglasses:

#10 John_M, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    vurt and kemoarps like this.
  11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,788) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

I'll gladly consume lots of FH Pallet Jack... paging @TankSlapper. Will be in Bend/Sisters the first week of September climbing, would love to find that beer again!

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  12. derftron

If i can drink FH Workhorse and FH Pallet Jack this year, I will be very happy :slight_smile:

13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,325) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

In my experience, getting a room is mandatory for Yakima. A: it's a couple hours more drive time. B: the event starts on the late side (6pm,IIRC). C: the taster glass is a shaker pint. Theoretically there is a half-pint pour for one ticket, and a full pint pour for 2. Every time I've asked for the half-hour, I've gotten at 12oz, and generally a full pint. The usual rules don't seem to apply over there. You will have try, very hard, to leave that fest with anything more than a general idea of what "sober" is.

All that said, it's a fun fest. I haven't been to HR for a direct comparison, but don't let me dissuade you from hitting up Yakima.

14. John_M

Premium

Remaining relatively sober isn't such a big problem, as I just dump excess beer, and I don't mind spitting (it can be a similar problem at the HR fest as well if you drink everything poured into your mug). I'm more concerned about the added time and expense of attending the event. If the event is that much different, or that much better than the HR and PDX events, then I'd be interested in going. If it's fairly similar, with just larger beer pours, then there likely would be no point in going.

woemad, kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  15. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,001) May 23, 2011 Washington

Yakima always seems to get a lot of exclusive stuff that Hood River never gets.

Joshbiir and vurt like this.
  16. vurt

vurt Savant (943) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

The event is fairly similar, except (as @beertunes pointed out) that the pours are larger and the event starts late in the day. I'd say the Yakima and Hood River fests have roughly the same number of beers and breweries. While there is some overlap, there are a lot of beers which don't make it to Hood River. (Likewise, there are beers available in Hood River which don't make it to Yakima.)

I have never made it to the Portland fresh hop fest, so I can't comment on how it stacks up to Yakima or Hood River.

Mrs. vurt and I like to visit Bale Breaker while we're in Yakima, as the concept of drinking fresh hop beers in the middle of a hop farm tends to put big smiles on our faces. Also, we like Bale Breaker. This is an additional incentive for us to visit Yakima, though given your opinion of Bale Breaker beers, I understand it would not be for you.

Mrs. vurt and I have met several Washington-based BA's at the festival in Yakima. A nice bonus.

Finally, Mrs. vurt and I are both beer drinkers and hop fans. A beer festival makes a fun weekend away for us. The impression I get is that Mrs. John_M is not much of a beer drinker, so there really wouldn't be much in Yakima for her.

Is the Yakima Fresh Hop Fest better than the one in Hood River? It's every bit as good, and offers things we can't get in Hood River. That's why we go. When it comes to fresh hops, we prefer "and" to "or."

17. JerryMeow

JerryMeow Initiate (31) Jun 14, 2018 Washington

woemad, rrock44 and beertunes like this.
  18. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (27) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

A brewery names varietal opened a bit south of Yakima this year. Last year's fresh hop festival they had one of my favorites and didn't even have a brewery open yet. Might be another reason to go to yakimas.

19. drone

drone Disciple (366) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

My favorite time of the year. I unfortunately won't be able to make it down to the yakima fresh hop fest (someday!), but looking forward to all the freshies.

Here's to hoping Fremont brings us a simcoe F2F....

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  20. John_M

Premium

Thanks! I do like Bale Breaker beers (well, some of them), but you're right. Re-visiting the tasting room there wouldn't be a big incentive for me. And yes, I would be going to the event by myself (which is what I do now for the HR fest), but that's OK.

More than likely I won't go to the Yakima event, though I've heard so many positive observations about it over the years, it's very, very tempting. However, as I already go to the PDX and HR event every year, it's just very difficult for me to justify going to one more.

beertunes likes this.
  21. distantmantra

Latona is tapping the Two Beers fresh hop tonight, and cans go on sale tomorrow at the brewery before hitting distribution next week.

Hopefully it's good this year.

sharpski and kemoarps like this.
  22. derftron

........it has begun

sharpski and kemoarps like this.
  23. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (287) May 31, 2016 Washington

I picked up a six pack of Two Beers FH IPA today. My impressions after a couple cans:

Pours a clear golden straw. Smell is grassy, herbal, maybe a little grain or hay. Taste is likewise on the vegetal side, with a hint of stone/tropical fruit likely from the several varieties of dried hops used. The malt plays a good supporting role.

I like this years’ version more than I remember liking the past year or two. It’s never been my favorite, but it’s always a widely available, solidly made beer. And props to them for kicking off the FH season every year.

Fresh hop beers are a great celebration of this little corner of the world that we all love. I’m excited to sample more varieties as the season ramps up, because just as quickly as it snuck up on us, it will be over and we’ll all move on to drinking pastry stouts, BA Baltic Porters and doppelbocks. Until then, let’s drink as many glasses of delicious hop nectar as we can, and make memories that tide us over and get us excited for the next time fresh hop season rolls around.

Cheers!

woemad, kemoarps, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  24. derftron

via Twitter: Barley Browns just brewed their first FH of the season. for now, unnamed so not Pallet Jack

25. John_M

Premium

Any info on a projected release date?

26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,325) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Just a guess, but 10-14 days?

BTW, if this gets packaged, or crowlered, somebody hit me up. Barley Browns is one of the rare breweries, in my (limited) experience that lives up to their reputation.

Last time I went to Yakima FH fest, I just basically posted up at the Barley Browns table.

ZERO regrets.

woemad, kemoarps, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  27. John_M

Premium

Smart move. God forbid they should run out and you not get your fair share. ☺

Quick story. Three years ago I was at the Hood River fh fest, trying most everything there. Bb was there as well, pouring fh pallet jack and something else. There was no one in line, but I figured I'd get around eventually to try them both. One of the lines next to their table was a bit overly long, so I figured what the heck, I'll just try the fh pallet jack now. It was really, really good of course, but it really didn't register just how good it was at the time. After trying most everything at the fest, my mind kept on turning back to how good that pallet jack was. So I thought I'd go back to get a full glass. Except the word was clearly out, and there were a good 30 or more people in line for the beer. So I wandered off for a while, thinking I'd come back in a bit when the line dissipated a bit. Except of course it never did, and at some point I decided screw it, I'll just stand in line. Except by then the keg had blown. Oh well I thought, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I find it at some beer bar in pdx. Except of course I never did.

Next time Terry, I'll be standing right next to you by that BB fresh hop table.

woemad, zestd, VashonGuy and 4 others like this.
  28. derftron

Good news.....Laurelwood replied to me on social media that they are indeed making FH Workhorse this year. happy times

Rip_City, zestd, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  29. John_M

Premium

They didn't happen to mention when they're going to release it, did they? :sunglasses:

Frankly, I could use a glass of FH Workhorse right now!

vurt likes this.
  30. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (44) Apr 26, 2016 California

31. derftron

No ETA yet but Im keeping my eyes peeled

32. derftron

yes. between this fest and what will be available around town, you should get more than your fill of FH beers.

sharpski and _pat_ like this.
  33. John_M

Premium

Probably a matter of opinion, but I think so. It's not quite as outstanding as the Hood River fest, but most of the participants at that fest show up for the Portland event as well. I tend to go to both events every year, and plan to do so again this year. It's typically a bit less crowded than the Hood River event as well, and if you drive, there's usually plenty of parking available.

_pat_ likes this.
  34. NWer

NWer Crusader (752) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Brought back a shit-ton of beers from Great Notion, Fort George, Block-15, etc. from PDX now faced with Fresh Hop season? #badplanning. What's a guy to do but drink quickly.

woemad, kemoarps, jpbebeau and 5 others like this.
  35. distantmantra

I’ll gladly take some of those GN hoppy cans off your hands. I like to help. ;-)

woemad, vurt, NWer and 1 other person like this.
  36. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (538) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry

Fresh hops are arriving this week at Breakside and are go straight into some brite tanks. Pretty sure we'll be doing FH Wanderlust and IPA at least. FH Pils, Tall Guy, and Thirst Trap would be amazing but don't quote me on that.

woemad, dphi, surlytwinsfan and 5 others like this.
  37. sharpski

sharpski Champion (817) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Any FH beers with the liquid nitrogen shattering technique again this year?

vurt likes this.
  38. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (538) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry

That's the protocol for all of our FH beers now. I've only been working there for like 6 weeks now so this method is new to me but I definitely liked the results from last year so I'm excited to try it out.

jakecattleco, vurt and sharpski like this.
  39. sharpski

sharpski Champion (817) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Two notes from my Boss Rambler visit on Friday:

- They’ll be traveling to McMinnville this week to collaborate on a FH beer with Allegory.

- I got a chance to ask Tony at Boneyard face-to-face about FH beers. They’re not anti-FH, just ambivalent. Now that they got more room to experiment, he’s open to the idea if one of his Brewers wants to make one, but it’s just not something he or most of the other guys seem to be energetic about.

stevesbeer, woemad, afrokaze and 2 others like this.
  40. John_M

Premium

Once the hops hit the brite tanks, what's the anticipated turn around time before we start seeimg fh ipa pouring around town?