Fresh IPA snobbery is out of control

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rcruz9230, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Rcruz9230

Rcruz9230 Initiate (157) Aug 17, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Fresh ipas seem to be the hottest beer commodity in nyc right now with weekly releases and lines going around an entire block... i manage a beer store in the city and we were also lucky enough to get distro on some award winning beers from vermont. As per today second fiddle dropped all over nyc today and with that i encountered some of the nastiest people ever who were complaining that it wasnt fresh, almost 4 weeks old with the can date being 07/10/17.. i was super grateful to get to try this brew without making the trip to vermont but now these beer consumers are ruining the game complainig about beer thats not even a month old. This is really getting out of control and my patients is running thin

jcos, ECdOc, Troutbeerbum and 41 others like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

What price were you charging for these beers?

Cheers!

NJM likes this.
  3. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (487) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Fascinating arrogant ignorant dicks.

4. Rcruz9230

Beer Trader

$4.99 per can or $17.99 for a 4 pack and thats the cheapest price in hells kitchen nyc

jcos and Stingwray like this.
  5. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,407) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm curious how a beer made and canned three hours away is a month old when it hits the city. I don't think that's old when there are three levels of distribution involved but when it is one tier there isn't a good reason (I can think of) for the beer to have been rested a month already.

If you are charging $4.99 per can then good for you, by far the cheapest I've heard of it in NY.

6. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (2,370) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Supporter Beer Trader

At the brewery I can see complaining about month old cans, but being at a store I will never complain about a month old IPA. In fact the other day I picked up a three week old IPA from a brewery that finally started dating bottle and commented to one of the employees that I was happy with how fresh it is!

ovaltine, yossle, HuskyHawk and 5 others like this.
  7. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (460) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I remember the days before dates on IPA's and no one really bitching till the beer was a solid 6 months old. Funny how they were still good back then....

8. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (100) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't buy it at a month old, that's definitely too old for a hoppy IPA. The flavor will have noticeably changed from what the brewer intended after that amount of time. Where do you think it's been for the last month? Not refrigerated that's for sure.

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (507) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

But they bought it anyway.

How hard it is to hold ones tongue when in retail

Enjoy

10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Champion (819) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Out of curiosity how come it was a month old? I think that is still fresh but just curious why it sat for that long to start. I can see both sides, 4 weeks is good but you are close to the end game in my mind, I like to avoid anything over 8 weeks for sure. I can understand your frustration but again maybe customers were surprised also so I can see their disappointment when they saw the date thinking it was fresh made.
    Cheers

Badfish and Beersnob724 like this.
  11. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,907) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

To me, West Coast Style IPAs/DIPAs last longer than the NEIPA/DIPAs, so drinking them 2-3 months after canning is ok. But as always, in general, the fresher the better, for the most part.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

12. Rcruz9230

Beer Trader

I reached out to my contact who distributes fiddlehead and was told second fiddle was brought in for a concert a week ago and that they distributed what was leftover to some retail locations:confused: none the less i thought it was an amazing ipa and plan to bring some more home tomorrow

jcos, Brolo75, yossle and 2 others like this.
  13. Rcruz9230

Beer Trader

I try my best to accomodate all the locals bringing in all the new ipas from barrier, grimm, common roots, lawsons etc but the snobbery is real out here ..im better off selling corona and heineken to the tourist who actually share a smile and havent sold their souls to craft beer

14. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,404) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Fresher is always better; Period. How old depends on many things beyond the consumers control. At a month I wouldn't bitch a bit if it's well cared for cans.

GreenBayBA, sludgegnome and Badfish like this.
  15. AZBeerDude72

LOL that does suck and I commend you for trying to be cool and bring in the beer. Don't give up you will always have sour apples in the bunch just think of all the people who got to try a new item. I would love to score some in AZ LOL ( I bet all the guys throwing a fit bought the most) HA HA HA
    Cheers.

afrokaze likes this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,944) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I think I know your store. You're doing a great job, fwiw, and I've recommended it to others. Too bad the customers can get you down like that.

I won't balk at a month old, myself, but it is kinda getting close to my limit. But, yeah, for something unusual and hard to get I'd have no second thoughts. In fact, I'll be by tomorrow afternoon :wink::slight_smile:.

jcos, LuskusDelph, Lahey and 24 others like this.
  17. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (97) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Yeah. I actually understand both sides here. I was just reading a thread on here the other night about "beers close to hopslam" or something like that. A lot of people were talking up a beer called Mahajara , I saw it yesterday in my beer store and bought it. Was canned in late may. Didn't really enjoy it. In back of my head I kept thinking if it was fresh I probably woulda liked it.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  18. Rcruz9230

Beer Trader

What of you didnt see the date before consuming the beer? Im talking about purchasing one can not not a 4 or 6 pack maybe that will change your perception... i just had a burial surf wax dated 3 months ago and it was one hell of a beer. Ive learned not to compare one ipa to another and lower my expectations. not every ipa is meant to be a hop bomb

19. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (462) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't complain. But no denying the flavor will change from intended...

Dragginballs76, Badfish and BSW like this.
  20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,770) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Complaining about month old cans seem a bit excessive, but on the other hand, freshness is a major deal with IPAs. I've noticed, in my own experience, this is particularly true in dry hopped beers. I wouldn't sweat it too much ...

tobelerone likes this.
  21. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Initiate (158) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

Agreed, just a couple nights ago I had a Deschutes fresh squeezed IPA that was pushing 4 months(part of a mix pack I neglected to check the date on:rolling_eyes:) and despite my preparation for a let down it was still a really good beer and I'll gladly drink the others. There's definitely a ton of variations with IPA's.

rodbeermunch likes this.
  22. DonRevy

DonRevy Initiate (105) Aug 10, 2017 British Columbia (Canada)

I work for a small liquor store in Victoria, B.C. A person may consider the suburb where the store is located, generally, a more affluent area. I completely empathize with your displeasure over the elitism you experienced recently. We are very privileged to have several microbreweries close by, but people still feel personally slighted by some brew not meeting their very personal expectations. Have only encountered a handful of people that are especially concerned about the bottle date, but I get the sense that people have a very visceral reaction to it. As if it were intentional - which is incredibly unfortunate. You sound like an invested manager, so full props to you and all you do!

Liquor store employees unite! :grinning:

yossle, GreenBayBA and Daniel-o like this.
  23. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (487) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Because there are a lot more layers involved in getting the green light to distribute out of state.
    It's a DIPA. 4 weeks is pretty much the sweet spot.

24. AZBeerDude72

:sunglasses:
    I agree on time, this beer is still young, I would have zero issue consuming...

Badfish likes this.
  25. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (929) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

a month is border-line for me.

ugh i hate that the only Union Jack local to me was brewed in May. shit pisses me off, get some fresh cases so i can buy a case and sit on that!

highdesertdrinker and Badfish like this.
  26. AZBeerDude72

Your not alone on that, in AZ most cases/sixers of Union I see are from May. What is really sad is that I have a brewery down the street and all the stores around it are selling 3 month old beer from that very brewery, I emailed the owner with zero reply, LOL. I have zero issue on non-IPA being older but when their local IPA is 3 mos old and they are across street that ticks me off.

27. YadiBEER_Molina

YadiBEER_Molina Initiate (111) Apr 14, 2017 Oregon

In general I'd agree that 1 month old is nothing to complain about. But at $18 for a 4 pack I'd be hesitant. I bought an $18 four pack this past week but it was direct from the brewery and canned the day before. I kinda feel like that freshness is a big part of what I'm paying a premium for.

28. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,788) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Next time you get some, send me a PM. I will drive in and buy it all.

29. BSW

BSW Aspirant (260) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Whether or not the beer was too old for them, I don't get the complaining part. I might choose not to buy a month old IPA, but I'm not going to pretend anyone at the store needs to hear my opinion on the subject.

jcos, kmbeer, LuskusDelph and 24 others like this.
  30. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (555) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Chit drives me crazy. Beer isn't fresh enough, I didn't get said beer, beer wasn't X enough, I had to wait in line, blah...blah...blah.

31. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,056) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

I have a store near me selling Todd from surly for full price and it's from Christmas. I'll buy an ipa a month old Especially if I've never had it. I won't buy one more than two months old unless it was marked down some. I've had ipas taste terrible at 3 weeks old. And others taste great at 3 months. For the people that only drink an ipa that is two weeks or fresher then move on. Waste all your time hunting for that
    Super fresh ipa while i sit back and enjoy my month old beer. That i didn't have to fight for.

rodbeermunch and BenBreeg like this.
  32. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (4,597) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania

The winner in this scenario is the brewery because they already sold the hype (to the public) and the beer (to distro). The freshness attitude is not unique to NYC, it's pandemic. - Screw it, when's the last time someone complained about fresh barrel aged "stuff". :grin: Then again, you sell barrel aged gems and people will find something to complain about.

#32 jzeilinger, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  33. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (95) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I would never get mad over something like this, but I can now understand why people want fresh IPAs. When I had my first can of Nimble Giant about 3 days after it was canned, it was amazing. The last few cans, which are about 2 months old, seem to be entirely different beers from when I had it fresh.

AZBeerDude72 and Badfish like this.
  34. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (518) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've always felt the " must be super fresh " thing is over blown. I've never had a beer that was weeks old that was off. Months old maybe, depending on the beer but weeks - pah-leez.

LuskusDelph, yossle, ICTguy21 and 2 others like this.
  35. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,088) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Freakin idiots most of them wouldn't be able to tell 3 days from 6 months the one complaining about freshness. Gimme a break.

jcos, dirtyfab, imbibehour and 3 others like this.
  36. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (249) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

3 day old definitely tastes different than a couple months old, but assuming the 3 day old is always better is silly. Sometimes a few weeks to a month old brew is better than the same beer a few days old.

People talking about the brewers' intention is stupid too. If the brewer intended people to drink the beer when it's 7 days old or less then they shouldn't bottle or can it because they know the distribution system isn't that efficient.

LuskusDelph, Smoky54, azurel and 17 others like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (618) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I think the only thing wrong here is the customers complaining. It's not like you're purposely selling out of date beer. And it seems like it's a good price for the area, albeit expensive in a vacuum. If it was a Stone Enjoy By clearly past its date, sure they have a right to complain.

That being said, I would personally think twice about paying $5/can and $18/4 pack for a month old New England style IPA. I typically drink all of my Trillium beers within a month (some at $5 per can) because the flavor profile changes after a month. A bad beer? No. But I want it to be optimal at $5 per can.

Also remember, it's a month old NOW. Who says they're going to drink it that day or even week? At a month for this style, I'd probably take a flyer on a single can or two to try it. But not a four pack. And I certainly wouldn't complain about it.

38. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (162) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Which store are you in Hell's Kitchen? Clinton Gourmet? If you keep on getting Barrier (except anything NEIPA-ish) I'll come by.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  39. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (347) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

If there are fresher beers in the city and sometimes superior local beer... then I would complain too. Then pass.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  40. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (216) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

It is amazing how taste buds have evolved with the introduction of bottlend/canned-on dates.... :wink:

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.