Freshness of double/imperial IPA question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Winkdaddy, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

I guess my thoughts are...it depends on the beer. Something like 120 Minute, does it really matter? PTE, for me, it did. As most DIPAs do. Odell Myrcenary is certainly very drinkable at 4 months but fresh, it's the reason I place it so highly on the DIPA chain of command.

cavedave likes this.
  2. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

This is the best discussion on hop forward beers and aging I've ever seen. Good job beeradvocates.

cavedave and grandmeaulnes like this.
  3. DanE

DanE Feb 24, 2012 Connecticut

I had 5 or so month old union jack and double and they both tasted great. Like you, I have only had them this way, which makes me want to taste them fresh all the more because...

4. Gus_13

Gus_13 Jul 2, 2012 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

More hops were added to balance the increased malt/alcohol content. The higher alcohol kept it for the long voyage and the hops balanced it. But I doubt back then they were worried about hop profiles ha ha! At least that's what I figure! Same for RIS. Larger malt quantities added to increase ABV and make them last longer.

pdbader likes this.
  5. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

I had a six year old dipa, it was terrible.

6. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

the 2 worst beer experiences i've had involved stale Harpoon IPA and Smuttynose Finest Kind. Since then, i make freshness a high priority when it comes to IPAs.

7. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

I always think that the hallmark of a well brewed beer is that it can stand a touch of age while staying tasty. Of course, freshest is best, but a beer shouldn't be good when it's super fresh and mediocre after a few months.

8. PuFtonLyfe

PuFtonLyfe Jun 2, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Truth

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!