Scandinavia Friend is Visiting from Gothenburg Sweden.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by trevorjk, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevorjk

trevorjk Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

So a friend of mine is coming to visit me next week from Gothenburg Sweden. She mentioned that i should try some swedish beer, as she knows im an avid beer fan. Anyways, She offered to grab 6 bottles from http://www.systembolaget.se/ to bring to me.

If there was 6 beers that you would recommend as a must try, what would they be? I would prefer stouts/porters, but if there is an IPA or Gueze that just stands out as a damn good beer. I would love to try it.

So can anyone help me out?

2. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (190) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

You would have to name the systembolaget stores she has access to in order to get any replies. It can differ quite a bit and with a week to go she wont be able to order anything to her local store.

3. trevorjk

Beer Trader

I will find out which location is the closest to her. I am still trying to understand the whole monopoly thing that systembolaget has on alcohol.

Thank you for the tips

4. trevorjk

Beer Trader

She mentioned that the one she goes to is in Nordstan (Gothenburg), Hopefully this helps narrow down my choices :relaxed:

5. Newkidroundhere

Newkidroundhere Initiate (134) Jan 8, 2013 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Interested what you end up with...my sister ilaw is coming back from Sweden next month and offered to bring a few things. No clue what is available there. She is in Malmo.

6. Pundarquartis

Pundarquartis Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Denmark

Try stuff from Oppigårds, Slottskällan, Nils Oscar, Nynäshamn, Mohawk or Dugges. They all make good beer and many should be available at Nordstan. I hope it's not to late to write now :relaxed:

Crusader likes this.
  7. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (190) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

All good suggestions, I'm hesitant to suggest which Swedish craft beers to buy to Americans since they can seem a bit tame in comparison if your measure for a beer's worth is its dry hoppiness (lack of bitterness is more seldom a problem). They are certainly not bad in any way, and definitely good and tasty, but if they are expecting mainstay Swedish craft beers to live up to the reputation built by Närke Stormaktsporter (which I've never had) then they might be in for a disappointment.

8. trevorjk

Beer Trader

Well good thing i have never had a Swedish beer :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.