From Maryland To Charleston, SC

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by SeanPaulZ, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanPaulZ

SeanPaulZ Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

I'm headed down to Charleston, SC tomorrow morning for a few nights than headed to Asheville, NC. Most likely going to be in SC Sat-Tues and then Ashevillle for a night or two.

Just looking for some advice on anywhere to stop in either location and places in between. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. rbradley

rbradley Aspirant (237) May 11, 2011 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

3. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,658) Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Charleston Beer Exchange, Holy City Brewery, Westbrook Brewery, COAST brewery, Closed for Business....

4. fobpeluso

fobpeluso Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2012 South Carolina

5. SeanPaulZ

SeanPaulZ Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

How the trip ended up:

Charleston- Closed For Business was a great beer bar, it had a good atmosphere with an incredible beer selection. I was able to have Founders Breakfast Stout on draught for the first time. Mellow Mushroom on King Street also had a very good selection of draught and bottles.

Asheville- My wife and I loved our first experience in "Beer City USA". Wicked Weed had amazing beer. I talked to two of the brewers and they said they generally have any where from 15-20 beers availble on tap at once, which i thought to be amazing from a small brew pub. They were out of the majority of their barrell aged series which was a bummer, i really wanted to try the sour cherry stout. Wedge Brewery in West Asheville had decent beer, the outside patio was a cool hangout with people playing corn hole and having a few pints. We also visited Thirsty Monk and Barley's Taproom both of which had 30+ beers on tap. I want to head back there very soon.

Roanoake- We stopped for lunch at Blue 5 for lunch on the way home. Very cool spot with guitars hanging from the ceiling. They had 46 draught lines with a very craft centric approach. Seems like a great place to drink a beer and see some live music.

All in all a very good trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.