Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Frozen during fermentation

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by kdb150, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdb150

kdb150 Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Due to a mishap with the settings on my temperature control device, I ended up cranking the temp in my chest freezer down to a cool 2 degrees F roughly 36 hours after pitching my hefeweizen; it already had a nice krausen that was still growing. Fortunately I caught it the same day about 10-12 hours later, and while the bottom of the bucket had begun to get slushy, it wasn't frozen solid. I decided the best course of action was to RDWHAHB, so I simply sloshed it around, left it out overnight in my 72-ish degree basement, came back down the next morning, and it was bubbling away as if nothing ever happened. It is now back in my chest freezer at a not-so-cool (relatively speaking) 64 degrees.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm expecting this thing will fully attenuate, but weizen yeast can be a bit finicky when it comes to the flavors it gives off. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, was there any noticeable difference in the final product?
  2. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I haven't frozen my beer before, but yeast should be able to hang out in that condition for a short period of time. I'm not sure if you're going to get more clove or more banana from what you've done to the little guys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!