1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Fuzzy Baby Ducks is the best IPA in America

Discussion in 'New England' started by lbower860, Mar 15, 2019.

1. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (134) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

I was at College Street Music Hall in New Haven last night for a show. They have an insanely good beer selection by the way. They happened to have Fuzzy Baby Ducks on draft. I always remember this being THE beer to get in CT before the whole NEIPA mania took over. Since about 2015 its lost a little bit of its hype in the public eye (although they still get lines for the can releases and have no problem selling out).

A couple years ago I remember thinking of it as a lesser beer compared to Tree House, Trillium, Bissel, etc. This was idiotic. Recently ive been having huge fatigue with NEIPAS. Almost all of them seem overly sweet and one note. I have found myself wishing that one of these breweries would make an IPA that was juicy and tropical, but also has a bitter backbone to balance things out and keep you wanting more. Im an idiot again because there already is one, and its Fuzzy Baby Ducks. The pour(s) I had last night were amazing. Super fresh, super tropical and juicy (without being overly sweet), slightly hazy (but not totally thick and opaque), with a nice refreshing bitterness. Reminded me a little of some Hill Farmstead. Overall a perfect IPA.

I love you Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Im sorry to have ever blasphemed your name.

Lamnic, LKAZZI, sulldaddy and 3 others like this.
  2. MattOC

MattOC Aspirant (291) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

You should edit your thread title...In My Opinion.

Lamnic, Angerhaus, socon67 and 7 others like this.
  3. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,258) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

At one point on this site, it was the top rated single IPA. I’ve had it several times and think it’s good, but not my #1 favorite IPA (that would probably go to HF Susan).

woodfinish and Jesse14 like this.
  4. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (120) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

I'm headed to College Street for Punch Brothers tonite, hope its still on tap!

dogdrule likes this.
  5. lbower860

Kicked last night! Prob put something else good to replace it though.

6. pbrian

pbrian Defender (637) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I thought there was going to be a link to some article. But yeah, I had FBD recently and was blown away how much I missed it, with way too much haze in between.

smutty33 and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  7. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,601) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I rated it very highly when I had it out of a fresh growler a few years prior to canning. I have not had the same experience with the canned brew. If I see it on tap, I would order a pint.

Do others find the cans to be good but not as good as on tap/growler?

#7 jhavs, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. pbrian

pbrian Defender (637) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I've only had it on tap at the brewery myself.

jhavs likes this.
  9. mjlavorgna

mjlavorgna Initiate (40) Oct 2, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I remember the days of hunting for it at certain bars. There was a night at Mikro that they had FBD and Sip of Sunshine on, must have spend hours there

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  10. Mjmoney23

Mjmoney23 Initiate (76) Sep 28, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

On taping find it great but out of the can its average at best. I have never noticed such a discrepancy between a beer as with fuzzy.

yankeeewine and jhavs like this.
  11. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (105) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Headway.

Lamnic, lic217, Ridgerunner and 3 others like this.
  12. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (313) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Still a great IPA to me. And $12 a six pack. Great deal.

I remember years ago following it all around CT just to get some. Remember one time at Prime Sixteen they tapped a keg and it lasted 20 mins. Bar was packed, it was a great time....Kind of miss those days.

smutty33 likes this.
  13. lbower860

Headway is fantastic, but it can be a little sweet at times.

smutty33 likes this.
  14. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (906) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Sounds like Heady Topper (or Focal Banger).

Or Sip of Sunshine.

15. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (627) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

This was a major want and I was lucky enough to get two cans in December. I for sure thought it was a great beer but it was not considerably better than some of the other fantastic beers out now. But I am sure a few years ago this beer would have been one of the best available. I would prefer the can over tap simply because of the can art!

jhavs likes this.
  16. lbower860

This post may have been slightlllyyyyy hyperbolic, but not really. I have just been in a place where ive been super burnt out on NEIPAS and this pour of Ducks was like a huge breath of fresh air. I also think this pour was spot on. Tasted super fresh, clean with perfect carbonation. Pretty cool that a music venue cares so much about quality draft beer.

17. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (105) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

People were drinking clear beer for hundreds (thousands?) of years and didn't get burnt out. I think it's more the massive tidal wave of the same style flying out of every brewery within 100 miles. The trick is variety. Get some stouts, some NEIPAs, lagers or the in between beers like what Lawsons puts out.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (287) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I still feel like NEIPA has this weird thing going on where we kick beers out of the style for being too good.

Davl22 likes this.
  19. BRoweski30

BRoweski30 Initiate (70) Sep 10, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

NEBCO is way underrated these days. Over the last few months I've had Fuzzy, Super Supernaut, and Coffee Breath and they were all as good as anything I've had from the bigger names in New England. Love that place.

Lamnic, lbower860, pbrian and 3 others like this.
  20. Swats

Swats Initiate (38) Jul 1, 2015 Connecticut

I've noticed this with Headway as well. Don't get me wrong it's a very good beer (and fantastic value) in a can but it's on another level on draft.

21. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (176) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

I agree, when on draft it’s superb.

22. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (686) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Love my FBD....

I live pretty close to NEBCo. so I've always had easy access. I may skip a release here and there but whenever I revisit Fuzzy never lets me down. With that said, I mostly drink from cans nowadays and never have any issues.

Cheers All....

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  23. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (236) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Lol I agree, I miss the “VT IPA” time period. More exclusive but at least the quality was there.

woodfinish and Zach423 like this.
  24. LKAZZI

LKAZZI Initiate (28) Aug 31, 2014 Connecticut

Been drinking It for many years, over several brewery upgrades. Fresh FBD cans are just as good as on tap IMO. Always been a great beer, but the newer better Citra batches (and of course brewer skill and QC :wink:) have really made it stand out again. And it seems almost readily available year round these days. As we all hoped it would year's ago.

25. lbower860

Their hoppy beers are so so good. Locust Reign, Supernaught, Dose, Ducks. All of them have everything I want in an IPA.

26. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (143) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

I have this revelation every time I drink a Heady Topper after a brief hiatus. It is so perfectly balanced - Malty-Hoppy, Pine-Citrus,Tropical-Bitter. I have yet to drink anything like it and I cannot say that about any other NE IPA I have had.

27. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (124) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Deuce and Galaxy aren't too shabby either.

lbower860 likes this.
  28. lbower860

Leaving out G/Ghandi Bot as well.... The OG!!!

eaglephile likes this.
  29. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (124) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Gandhi. In this case, spelling counts.

30. Zach423

Zach423 Initiate (58) Dec 9, 2018 Massachusetts

Nebco has managed to make great IPAs which hold their own during this haze craze, FBD and DFBD being the two best IMO. Always refreshing to get any of there stuff for a change of pace when most IPAs around here are juice bombs

31. Jsukys

Jsukys Initiate (58) Apr 18, 2015 Massachusetts

Agreed about all the Nebco IPAs. Locust Reign May be my favorite, excellent balance of tropical fruitiness and bitterred hop punch. Not a huge fan of their can art TBH, but who gives a duck. Love that place

32. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (118) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Yeah, that was a pretty good JRAD show, huh?
    I, too, enjoyed my several pours of Ducks.

33. lbower860

Show was incredible. Crazy crazy jams..... Floor was so crowded though and beer line was brutal.

34. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (154) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

How often do they brew this now?

35. mjco04

mjco04 Devotee (401) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Society Trader

More frequently now

36. kingsuect

kingsuect Initiate (30) Oct 6, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

about once a month or so.
    the release day is almost? always saturday

37. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (91) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

I've watched this thread since it was posted and wanted to wait to see some of the reactions. FWIW, here's my trajectory of FBD:

Initial Release: WOW WOW gimme more
    Several releases after that: Still WOW
    About 2-3 years later: What happened? Something isn't right. Not a bad beer at all, but definitely not the same as it was (allowing for palate change, it was definitely different)
    Now: WOW WOW gimme more. It's back baby!

So yea, maybe not the best IPA in America, but very happy it went through some iterations and is awesome again.

38. Lamnic

Lamnic Aspirant (201) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut
    Trader

This
    I heard about this thread and wanted to chime in.
    The first couple batches of ducks I had were magical. They were growler fills. I remember Thanksgiving I think 4 years ago bringing home 3 growlers for the family and it made the holiday for me that year. That was the last time it was a perfect beer IMO.
    It's still a great beer, but not deserving crazy hype (very few beers do). I always buy 1 or 2 sixers at that $12 price tag.

39. lbower860

The price is also a factor in my declaration of it as the best beer in America. In an age where 4 packs routinely approach (and sometimes exceed) the $20 price tag, Ducks is an incredible value.

Lamnic and EDNOSE like this.
  40. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (211) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

All of NEBCO is an incredible value. This is actually my first case of FBD. I've had it plenty of times but I live an hour away and no interest in any sort of line so I avoided cans until now. I think it's delicious as always. My wife is sucker for Citra and is in heaven with a case of 12 oz beers she likes (12 oz is no nice).

Lamnic likes this.