Game of Thrones fans select 4th beer, Valar Morghulis, in Brewery Ommegang & HBO partnership

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,410) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

(COOPERSTOWN, NY) In the world of Westeros, Valar Morghulis means “all men must die.” Fans of the hit HBO show decided that “all men must drink” as well when they voted the foreboding phrase as the name of the newest beer in the Game of Thrones collaboration between HBO and Brewery Ommegang as part of a late December Facebook poll. The voting also determined the style of the new beer – an Abbey Dubbel – which is perfectly represented by the “two-headed” coin which will adorn the labels. Valar Morghulis will be available at retail in fall of this year.

Valar Morghulis is a central thematic element in the critically acclaimed show’s fourth season, which recently debuted to record ratings. As Arya Stark continues her journey to track down what family she has left and to avenge those who have fallen, she adopts the High Valyrian phrase as a mantra against the people she wants dead. As the name for the new beer, the phrase won out during the December poll over Seven Kingdoms (Tripel), Hand of the King (Quad) and Khal (Quad). Thousands of fans cast their votes during the contest, and Valar Morghulis was the clear favorite with almost half of the votes.

“The fan response to the beers has been so incredibly positive that we thought it would be a fun reward to ask them to play an active role in selecting the fourth beer,” said Bill Wetmore, Director of Marketing for Brewery Ommegang. “It’s not uncommon to hear “valar brewghulis” spoken in the halls of the brewhouse, so we were secretly hoping that Valar Morghulis would be the winner. Our brewers are also excited to brew a Dubbel, a classic Belgian beer style, and have some great ideas to make this release extra special.”

Valar Morghulis follows Iron Throne Blonde Ale (spring 2013), Take the Black Stout (fall 2013), and Fire and Blood Red Ale (available now) in the hugely popular partnership between HBO and Brewery Ommegang. The limited runs of Iron Throne and Take the Black sold out in a few short weeks, and Fire and Blood Red Ale is also selling out quickly, despite being brewed at nearly double the volume of the first two beers.

“The fan base for Game of Thrones keeps growing larger as each new season debuts, and the popularity of the beers is growing right along with the show,” said Josh Goodstadt, Vice President of HBO Global Licensing. “For this fourth beer, we found the perfect opportunity to give those diehard fans the power to choose what beer they wanted to drink, and we can’t wait to share this special brew with them this fall.”

Valar Morghulis is brewed with pilsner and other specialty malts and hopped with Apollo and Hallertau Spalt Select hops. The hue is deep amber-brown with a persistent, creamy, off-white head. Aromas include caramel, toffee, ripe fruit, banana and slightly burnt sugar. The taste is well-balanced with rich malty sweetness, caramel and sugar, and just a touch of bitterness to balance. The finish is surprisingly dry and light on the tongue, belying the aroma and initial taste.

“The Dubbel is one of the most recognized beer styles in Belgium and this is a very tasty version of that style,” said Mike McManus, Ommegang Innovation Manager. “Valar Morghulis is a complex beer, much like the stories surrounding the phrase.”

The label art will feature the two-headed coin, given to Arya Stark by Jaqen H’ghar, one of the “Faceless Men of Braavos” – legendary assassins with the ability to change their appearance at will. Each cork will be fire-branded with “Valar Dohaeris,” which is the traditional response phrase to “Valar Morghulis” meaning “all men must serve.”

[​IMG]

Valar Morghulis will be available nationally this fall (exact launch date still TBC) on draft (sixth-barrels) and in corked bottles (25.4 ounces). The recommended retail price is $8.50 per bottle.

About Brewery Ommegang
    Brewery Ommegang, part of the legendary Belgian brewery Duvel Moortgat, opened in 1997 to craft-brew fine Belgian-style ales. Ommegang creates six ales year-round, as well as an extensive and imaginative range of seasonal and specialty ales. The beers have won a national following by connoisseurs of fine beer and are distributed in 43 states and internationally. Ommegang is located on a 136-acre farmstead in Cooperstown, New York, USA and offers free daily tours and inexpensive tastings as well as a 100-seat café, a well-stocked brewery store, and an annual calendar of public events. Ommegang is open every day of the year except for Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and New Year’s Day. For more information, please contact info@ommegang.com, call 1-800-544-1809, or visit www.ommegang.com. Ommegang is a member of the Duvel family of fine beers. Follow Ommegang on Twitter: @BreweryOmmegang , Facebook.com/Ommegang, and Instagram: @BreweryOmmegang

About HBO Global Licensing
    HBO Global Licensing officially licenses the HBO® brand for the development and merchandising of innovative product lines inspired by the network’s award-winning programming. With products created around classic series like the The Sopranos® and Sex and the City® to current hits like True Blood® and Game of Thrones®, items include fashion apparel, jewelry, digital and CD soundtracks, games, books as well as exclusive, premium collections in partnership with upscale, designer brands. Merchandise can be purchased in retail stores nationwide, at http://store.hbo.com, and at the groundbreaking HBO retail hub, the HBO Shop®, located at 42nd and 6th Avenue in New York City. HBO Global Licensing products are also sold internationally across Europe, Asia and Australia.

###

brewlover517 likes this.
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

I look forward to seeing what they do to separate this from the Abbey Ale that they already make.

3. zolnikk

zolnikk Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois

I have a bottle of Take the Black Stout, but I just picked it up one day and didn't realize they had a line going like this. Excited for the new one for sure.

4. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I suggest you drink that one before you buy anymore. I love Ommegang but that one is awful.

5. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Disciple (308) Apr 22, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Fire and Red Blood Ale was also bad. Very bad. (My humble opinion)

6. BeerZombies1

BeerZombies1 Disciple (371) Jan 20, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

the only one that has been somewhat drinkable in my opinion was iron throne, take the black and fire and blood where more novelty for premier of GoT. 3 of the 4 of us that had it ended up drain pouring it

7. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

They should have added hot peppers....

Wiscobeers likes this.
  8. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I actually expected to not like that one, but was pleasantly surprised by it when offered a glass. Take the Black, on the other hand, was probably the first Ommegang beer that I flat-out didn't enjoy. I liked it enough to drink the bottle, but I'm glad I only bought one.

I'm sad that I didn't even realize there was a vote for the next one - anyone know what other names and styles were on the ballot?

Boca-X likes this.
  9. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Pretty much a simple ale...I thought it was fine...not great but still good. I think everyone expects rainbows and skittles from OG but they are just like everyone else...human.

10. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Ommegang is one of those breweries that doesn't do anything for me. I'm sure its just a personal thing, as there aren't any defects in the beer and I know a lot of people love them, but the flavors just never take off in my mouth. I imagine they brew on the same level as Unibroue, but to me Unibroue beers are so much more interesting and well-developed. Dogfish Head is another brewery that falls into the same category. Needless to say, the Game of Throne beers have always been merely servicable to me. I probably won't buy this one.

Having said all that, I never really understand when I hear people say they "drain poured" a beer like this. Surely it could not have been so bad that you couldn't drink it. It makes me think those people don't really like beer too much to begin with. Ommegang might not really hit any home runs with me, but they still make great tasting beer.

11. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Love Brewery Ommegang and love GoT (the books more, the show as well to an extent). However, the first several beers didn't really spark my curiosity...love me some dubbels though, and if their regular Abbey Ale is any indication of how good this should be, mark me down for a couple of bottles!

12. CalgaryFMC

CalgaryFMC Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Canada (AB)

I think people are being melodramatic and over the top with this drain pour talk. Surely one can get through a mediocre to decent beer.

13. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

It's only a matter of time before someone chimes in telling you that mediocre beers aren't worth the calories or the time and that they don't drink beer for the alcohol.

Belial likes this.
  14. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (465) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Here here! It's a one time deal.

15. JoelAdams

JoelAdams Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 California

Has anyone thrown around the name "Dark wings, dark words" for a beer name yet? Could work for a number of styles, quad, dark strong, etc.

16. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Fire and Blood did, I just didnt get enough heat from the peppers (which is the main reason I wanted to try it).

17. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Some people have enough disposable income that they can drink what they like. Let's say you want a beer while you're watching GoT, and you crack open a 750ml of some high ABV beer just to find that you don't like it.

Sure, you could drink it, get pretty buzzed, and not want another one after that. Or you just pour it out and drink something you like.

Personally, I try to never actually dump a beer - to date, it's only happened two or three times, and it's been because it was so bad that I couldn't take a sip without immediately needing to get the taste out of my mouth (I'm looking at you, Crime and Punishment). But drinking a beer "just because you opened it" isn't just this free pass - you trade off getting full, buzzed, and losing the interest to drink something enjoyable. (And yeah, as someone else mentioned...downing a 750ml of Take the Black would be what, 600 calories or so? That's 33% of my daily intake for something I'm not particularly interested in. Weak.)

18. CalgaryFMC

CalgaryFMC Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Canada (AB)

I too have dumped a handful of times and I can understand your points. My own take is that what starts as a mediocre beer can become more enjoyable if one sticks with said beer long enough to let it evolve over time. My initial few tastes of Dupont's Monk Stout were rather bad but the beer developed nicely over the course of sips, to name just one example. I am one of these people you mention, money is not an issue for me. I just do not wish to bail on a beer prematurely and make a big deal about it. If nothing else, I find that being mindful of what you are tasting when drinking a beer you aren't wild about is a great exercise in training the palate.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  19. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Zealot (502) Feb 26, 2014 New York

no pun intended I'm sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.