Garage Beer Fridge Recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by JLK7299, Jun 8, 2019.

1. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,088) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

hi all,

So I’m moving and my new house doesn’t have a fridge in the garage. Which means I need to buy a new beer fridge! The one at my last house didn’t keep beer very cold in the summer. Being as how I’m moving to the south, this is a problem I probably need to remedy when making this purchase.

Looking for recommendations for a beer fridge that will be kept in my garage that will keep my beers nice and cold despite heat/humidity.

Feel free to post links!

brutalfarce and nc41 like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I live in a Townhouse and our garage is pretty well insulated, but it does get a bit humid and stuffy in the summertime. I’d check around on as basic a reefer as I could find, a scratch and dent would be perfect. You don’t need see thru doors, or any gadgets. Here I’d start at Lowe’s or Home Depot, they always have products that are new and scratched up a bit. Or Craig’s List, You might catch someone moving looking to make a few bucks, having an extra freezer would be a plus too. I have a mini fridge and it’s really only good for stouts and wine, it struggles do get below 50 and has since it was new.

JLK7299 likes this.
  3. JLK7299

Society Trader

Ya just looking for a regular fridge/freezer combo that will be 75% beer, 25% extra space. Not alcohol specific. Wasn’t sure if there was a brand/model that would be bettter. Now in the summer I take something out of my fridge and put it in house fridge in the morning so it’s nice and cold at night.

brutalfarce likes this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The top end prices are frightening, I fail to grasp how any one unit could be worth north of 4K. Ours came package into the house, but I’m guessing $1000 give or take which is still absurd for what you need. I’d imagine any of the name brands would be perfect, the separation would simply be price. Hence Craigs list.

JLK7299 likes this.
  5. JLK7299

Society Trader

Just money. I need my hops cold

brutalfarce likes this.
  6. JLK7299

Society Trader

Also, NC is where I am moving

7. AWA

AWA Aspirant (263) Jul 22, 2014 California

I keep most of my beer in a crappy mini fridge in my office. Not glamorous but it works for about 2 cases, give or take. In my Kitchen I have a Liebherr that is the most temperature consistent fridge I've ever had. But I hate it when my wife's food blocks the view of my beer, so I stay out of it. And it was like 5 grand so no way I'm buying a second one.

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,869) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

For best results you should keep hops (pellets or whole flower) in the freezer.

Jaycase likes this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,521) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My beer fridge is in my basement, so I don't have experience with a hot garage. However, using a little logic, it would seem like a freezer would have better insulation in it's walls to resist the external heat from the garage permeating the walls so that an upright freezer should work well since it gives you shelves. Since a freezer won't have a temp setting for 35 degrees you can get an external temp controller that allows the freezer compressor to work at cooling the inside but the external controller would cut off the motor at whatever temp the controller is set for. External controllers are typically around $20.

Redrover likes this.
  10. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (85) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

I had a Frigidaire in my garage that worked ok. My unit could be switched from refrigerator to freezer. It kept things cold here in the Arkansas heat and humidity.

I recently traded it for a single door commercial cooler. It also deals with the heat and humidity ok but I wish I had kept the Frigidaire. The commercial cooler was built to be easy to clean and service but it cost more to run. Its also louder. Normally not a big deal but I spend a lot of evenings sitting in the doorway drinking.

JLK7299 likes this.
  11. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (363) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I have an older side by side Fridgidaire I inherited from a friend who renovated his kitchen and it works great, I'd check letgo, craigslist that kind of stuff can prob get a decent fridge on the cheap or like @nc41 said scratch and dent for a "new" one given its purpose