Gas Station Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Jan 4, 2022.

1. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Devotee (448) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

Which state has the best gas station beer?
    Which state has the worst gas station beer?
    How do you rate your states gas station beer?
    What is the rating of your states gas station pizza to to go along with your gas station beer?

I say Minnesota has the worst gas station beer and pizza. I'm I wrong?

#1 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    Amendm, FonyBones, cbcrunch and 5 others like this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,593) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Wisconsin - they sell New Glarus at the gas station.
    the other 49.
    Selection
    I will starve before I buy pizza at a gas station. There is always a better option including Dominos.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,359) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Don't licensed gas stations buy their beer from the same wholesale distributors (or breweries, were legal) that every other licensed retailer does? So, can't any beer be a "gas station" beer?

Though it's legally possible if a municipality agreed, I can't recall a licensed gas station in NJ (maybe in NW or SW part of the state) but with the rise of convenience stores that sell gas, I guess there could be some.

What about Schell? Same name (well, almost) as the gasoline brand.:grin:

Really? Here, the gas station employees still pump the gas, so I'd rather they didn't make my pizza, too.

Now gas station sushi...mmm...mmmm.

Oh, and Gas Station Women!

cavedave, kuhndog, Amendm and 12 others like this.
  4. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (242) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

I found Rare Vos at a gas station in upstate NY near the Mass. border.

DCH, Amendm, officerbill and 10 others like this.
  5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,857) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Macros, @#$&ing seltzers, malt liquor, and stovepipes of All Day IPA and SNPA. You be the judge. Casey's has awesome pizza, but I'm all in on Kwik Trip fried chicken these days.

Lorddevn, Amendm, TCgenny and 6 others like this.
  6. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,460) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

In my experience:

-BMC,
    -a craft option or two from a BMC owned brewery
    -one or two inoffensive (kolsch, blonde, pils, etc.) things from the state's largest craft brewery
    -Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    -malt liquor
    -Shiner Bock (this is likely TX specific).

TCgenny, bbtkd, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  7. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,338) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Maryland has to be near the bottom since beer in gas stations is very spotty around the state. Usually BMC, Yuengling and Flying Dog and a couple other middling craft options at best.

Amendm, bbtkd, Skabiski and 1 other person like this.
  8. Stignacious

Stignacious Crusader (746) Aug 24, 2011 New York

Upstate NY gas + convenience store chains like Stewart's and Byrne Dairy have local craft selections, alongside the bigger names like Sam Adams, DFH, and Sierra Nevada. I've never had the pizza at either, but can vouch for quality of the ice cream and deli sandwiches.

Amendm, officerbill, TCgenny and 4 others like this.
  9. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,653) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Ignoring the geographic limitations set by the OP, some Quebec gas stations with larger connected shops have a decent selection.

Amendm, ChicagoJ, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (538) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

All I’m saying is my current staple, New Trail Double Broken Heels in 19.2 oz cans, can be found at my local Sheetz for $2.79 per can. Fantastic beer at a fantastic price. The only way I’ll stop buying them is if they stop making/selling them.

11. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,262) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Yup. Not including dry counties in some states, MN is the worst.

Same distributor, perhaps. Different beer. Minnesota is one of last holdouts (if not THE last holdout) with a 3.2 law for gas stations and grocery stores.

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,283) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

None of the gas stations near me serve beer so*…

But talking about food (pizza) there are some Royal Farms gas stations near me and I hear tell they make the best gas station fried chicken:

“Royal Farms Fried Chicken

If you live in Maryland, Delaware, Virginia or Pennsylvania, you have the distinct privilege of enjoying some of the best fast-food fried chicken à la gas station in the form of Royal Farms. This Southern gas station chain is famous for their crispy fried chicken, flaky dinner rolls and breaded potato wedges known as “western fries.” If a glance at chicken-filled buffet trays glowing golden under the heat lamp alongside lotto tickets and Lays chips puts you off, check yourself and just order it already. Locations abound, and some are even coming to New Jersey soon.Royal Farms, Many locations in DE, VA, PA, MD”

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-gas-station-foods

Every time I drive by the Royal Farms gas station closest to me, I have a strong urge to pull in but every one of those times my wife was with me and she disapproves of me easting fried foods so…

One of these days I will just have to go there by myself.

Cheers!

*I just web searched my closest Royal Farms gas station to learn they do sell beer there! Whatcha thing is the best beer pairing with fried chicken? Bud?

13. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (637) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Gas stations nearest to me have malt liquor and Four Loko. Maybe some Devils Backbone and other immediately local craft if you're lucky, all MONTHS old more than likely. Ah, college towns.

Miller Mart does have a growler fill station which I haven't used in years.

14. Resistance88

Resistance88 Aspirant (225) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

California has the best gas station beer. Check Untappd and look up Pasadena Arroyo Shell.
    Edit :Enegren,Hoppin Frog, Fremont Barrel Aged, Bottle Logic Stasis crap, Cycle Brewing,Adroit Theory, and all kindsa shit.
    Not much that i buy normally cuz he gets in a lot of slushy and pastry shit but every now and again he gets great Non Adjunct BA and Non BA stouts.

#14 Resistance88, Jan 4, 2022
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,352) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

The best gas station beer selection I've seen was at a Rally's in St. Petersburg, Florida. They had Coppertail, Funky Buddha, Cigar City, Barrel of Monks, Sierra Nevada, Lowenbrau, Lagunitas, even stuff I didn't expect at all like Hubbard's Cave, Sloop, Modern Times, and Prairie Artisan Ales.

I normally consider good gas station beer to be Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Samuel Adams, and Lagunitas. That's usually suitable enough.

16. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (465) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

VT is redic currently - especially most anywhere north of WRJ. Had good luck a few years back scoring PtE in an around Tahoe at a bunch of gas stations - I would think CA would be taught beat. Worst has to be Utah - I mean finding good beer is a challenge anywhere in the state - let alone gas stations.

17. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,447) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

New Glarus has awesome, some even "World Class" beers, many available at WI Gas Stations, though I do pass purchasing their main two (Spotted Cow and Moon Man). I hope you consider representing me if I get sued by their CEO for the last portion of is statement. :grimacing:

Not sure if those national chains (Dominos, Little Caesars et al) are any better than gas station pizza, though I'm not brave enough to conduct a taste test (would/do purchase frozen Home Run Inn Sausage Supreme pizza over both).

I would rate Nevada higher than Wisconsin due to the Speedee Mart chain located throughout the Vegas Valley. Their stores have a vast variety of brands, styles and brewery options. Beyond NG, you're typically limited to perhaps SNPA and a few other craft options in WI.

https://lasvegasweekly.com/dining/2018/jan/11/speedee-mart-has-become-a-craft-beer-mecca/

https://www.speedeemart.net/craft-beer

They have seventeen locations which carry a solid craft beer selection. Many are located in the higher income areas (Summerlin and Henderson), but they also have a few craft dedicated gas stations in the heart of Vegas.

In addition to carrying the top local, regional and national offerings, they also carry fresh smaller California breweries beyond Modern Times/Firestone Walker/ Stone (Pizza Port, Beachwood, others), and also carry brands like Founders and Bell's you're hard pressed to find elsewhere in Nevada.

Khourey's in Henderson is the only beer store period I'd rank over the typical Speedee Mart in Vegas. They are not in Reno, the other primary Nevada population center, so it's not truly a "state" option, though the Vegas Metro area is 70% of Nevada's population. Definitely a better option than Total Wine, unless you are looking for imports or single cans/bottles.

#17 ChicagoJ, Jan 4, 2022
  18. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Champion (801) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I live in Illinois, buy my gas at Sams/Costco usually. A buddy said to check out the "beer cave" at the local Marathon, they had Budweiser Bourbon County Stout for a buck less than the local Binnys, this was about 2018. I'm sure they also had Steel Reserve 211. So we have the best AND the worst.

19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,857) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'd go with PseudoSue or Zombie Dust. To paraphrase the Frank's Red-Hot ads, "I pair that s*** with everything."

Rug, PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  20. budsNpils

budsNpils Initiate (51) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Trader

Texas has crap for gas station beer imo unless you get lucky and find a gas station that stocks some 6 month old Lagunitas or Stone IPA collecting dust or some local shit thats nothing special. Macro beer galore, yall wouldn't believe how much Modelo and Corona is stocked here. It has its own section in a lot of gas stations/stores.

21. Providence

Providence Crusader (757) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Rhode Island gas stations aren’t allowed to sell beer, so I think by definition, we’re the worst, ha ha. I actually think it’s a great thing that gas stations can’t sell beer. We have mostly locally owned mom and pop liquor stores for beer in RI, if gas stations sold beer that would just mean more money going to Shell, Exxon Mobil, etc. I know those places can still be locally owned franchises, but the CEOs getting their cut somewhere. Fuck that noise. As for gas station pizza? Sweet Jesus. Anyone buying pizza at a gas station in RI should be shoved aggressively. There’s tons of good pizza around here.

In any event, I’d like to suggest RI has the worst gas station beer and pizza and should be damn proud of it.

22. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,088) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I heard the same thing from numerous co-workers when I first moved to Baltimore. I'm not a huge fried chicken fan either, but eventually I said screw it and picked some up one afternoon while pumping gas (I wasn't married at the time).

Let's just say this ended up being an experience I didn't feel the need to ever replicate.

As for the best beer pairing with that chicken, I can't help you there. However, if you need a beverage recommendation, I'd vote for a quart size container of Pepto-bismol.

o29, dcotom and JackHorzempa like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe the 'trick' is to obtain the freshly fried chicken?

And I am 100% sure your beer pairing would not be a Bud. :wink:

Cheers!

o29 and John_M like this.
  24. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (250) Nov 9, 2010 North Carolina

Stignacious, ChicagoJ and Rug like this.
  25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

LOL!!! You can bet the bank on that.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

@John_M, how is the beer scene at gas stations near you?

When I was in Portland, OR back in 2018 I wasn't driving around (as you know Portland has an excellent downtown public transportation system). I would be willing to bet of any city/metropolitan area Portland would be top notch with gas stations and beer selection. Would I win that bet?

Cheers!

27. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I've heard that the gas stations here have a pretty good selection, but I couldn't say that based on actual experience. Oregon is a state where attendants pump gas for you in most parts of the state, so there's little reason to leave the car when you're visiting a gas station. I often times will get out to stretch my legs, but it's probably been some years since I last actually went into a gas station here in Oregon (an ARCO station). I didn't take a look at the beer selection there. :sunglasses:

#27 John_M, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    sharpski and JackHorzempa like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

Wow! It has been a long time (decades) since I have seen/heard "ARCO". They shut down in the Philly area a loooog time ago. I didn't know they still existed in the US.

On a similar vein I remember seeing Esso gas stations in Canada while on vacation in 2019. I thought they were gone as well.

Cheers!

29. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (31) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Which state has the best gas station beer? idk
    Which state has the worst gas station beer? idk
    How do you rate your states gas station beer? 9/10, local gas station chain has the best beer selection in my zip code and it's all cold
    What is the rating of your states gas station pizza to to go along with your gas station beer? pizza is a 5/10, cheesesteaks are a 9/10

dcotom likes this.
  30. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (9,531) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Wisconsin FTW, Minnesota for the worst. Honorable mention Florida lots of Cigar City on the rack.

dcotom likes this.
  31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

They are very prevalent out West. They tend to be a combination gas station/quick stop market, with an extensive beverage and junk food selection. They typically have pretty decent gas prices, at least when compared to local Chevron, Shell and 76 stations.

JackHorzempa and ChicagoJ like this.
  32. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Initiate (127) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania

I’m with you on Royal Farms. They opened one on my UPS route in Collegeville, PA. Really good food (fried chicken at least) and a solid selection of semi micro brews (Victory, Flying Fish) but also the usual macro offerings plus an inordinate amount of hard seltzers.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,328) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

If you are hating on gas station food then you have obviosuly never been to a Sheetz, and if you’ve never been to a Sheetz well then I just feel bad for you because you haven’t truly lived.

34. wadamslll

wadamslll Initiate (57) Nov 25, 2021

I buy my beer at a Circle K which is a gas station but also has convenience store feel. I head to the cold room where you will find deals on 12 packs of different adjunct beer. I am on a 3 beers day run so I don’t have tons of funds to spend on really good beer. Trying to find an affordable go to. Pretty close.

35. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Initiate (127) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania

We have Sheetz in PA, but not in SEPA. The best gas station food is WAWA. Excellent hoagies and soups and sides!

36. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,328) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Anyone who thinks WAWA is in the same league as Sheetz is a literal crazy person.

How dare you, sir, how dare you?!?

37. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (468) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Plan ahead in NY, buy your beer at a beer store and your pizza at a pizzeria. There's lots of both in most cities/towns

And on side note, I will not get gas in any State, looking at you New Jersey, where I can't pump my own gas. Got to draw the line at freedom somewhere. Pump Your Own!

GormBrewhouse and Rug like this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,949) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

There are gas stations without having convenience stores? And they have beer? Oh I said to myself, what a wonderful world.

John_M likes this.
  39. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,530) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

While I agree about New Glarus, and I'll add Central Waters, the one below that I saw in a Wisconsin gasso offsets those a bit. At least the PBR would have been OK. Didn't buy either.

[​IMG]

40. Leighton_

Leighton_ Initiate (41) Jan 31, 2021 Minnesota
    Trader

We are indeed the very last state with 3.2 laws. I don't mind it at all, it keeps the fun liquor stores in business and if you really need a drink at the gas station 4% abv is still very workable.

Bitterbill likes this.