1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Gauging fair trades

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by wjgeese, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

That's some pretty amazing balls...
  2. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

In person trades can be tough, because both parties have access to the same stuff. You basically both need to be pretty active traders to make it work.
  3. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

...and unabashed greed.
  4. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This is true but oddly the inverse "what does it take to land" gets a ton of helpful responses.

drperry11 likes this.
  5. peteinSD

peteinSD Apr 25, 2010 California

good advice. also, give more than you receive . . . you'll find that in the long run and on the whole that it all comes back around for the better.
  6. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Feb 15, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

when you set up a trade - send a box you would be happy getting and forget about winning or losing - trading is fun, so enjoy - my suggestion? do trade, but remember it's only beer.
  7. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

my advice: start with off the shelf locals that you know you can always get, and trade with experienced traders who will show you the ropes. build trust, develop a regular trading relationship, and if you really want to go whale hunting, ask them for advice.
  8. Allsmoke

Allsmoke Aug 11, 2007 Virginia

Don't turn iso/ft threads you start into auctions. If you offer something and get what you ask, quickly, don't hedge your bets thinking a better offer is coming. Make an ISO/ft you will do if met. If you don't have any trades here offer to ship first, and be prompt with communication
    Photekut likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!