Gear Patrol: The 15 Most Underrated Beers in the World

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zid, Nov 29, 2019.

1. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Bodhizafa I think is a pretty damn good beer, beertunes sent me one in the last LIF for guessing a World Series score. No hesitation at all buying this beer, but I can see it being underrated with so much competition in that area.

Fullers Bitter is a classic, I’m guessing it’s a slow mover everywhere, but it’s certainly because the beer isn’t good. It’s just not a sexy style or buy. Fortunately there’s a place in Greensboro that usually has multiple Fullers on tap most of the time.

I’m not so sure PU is as much underrated as guys are sick of trying to figure out how old it is. The older it gets it’s just off, hell I don’t even buy it anymore, but if it’s fresh it’s a great beer. But I’d rather have fresh Pivo personally.

Junior, mikeinportc, Barettes and 6 others like this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,631) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The 15 Most Underrated Beers in the World...
    The Alchemist Heady Topper
    — Augie Carton, Carton Brewing Company

I think someone doesn't understand the definition of "underrated", let alone "most underrated in the world." :rolling_eyes:

Overall, though, a pretty good list, with the caveat that I haven't tried quite a few of them (or even never heard of some of them...)

4. rozzom

rozzom Champion (852) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Don’t get me wrong - Heady wouldn’t be on my “15 most underrated beers” list. Not close. But I do get the argument. 6-7 years ago people were all about Heady. Now I feel like some people talk about it even with some disdain. You read so many posts about how “my local NEIPA is way better than Heady. What a letdown”. With Treehouse et al, I feel like Heady is (totally unfairly) seen by many as b list.

5. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (859) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

either way you go most of these are highly rated on this site in not only a score but also in the shear amount of reviews/scores tallied. then again most of these articles are for the casual beer drinker, not the typical BA user.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Is that McCouls?

nc41 likes this.
  7. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,844) Jun 18, 2010 New York

Well, I wouldn't put Heady Topper as under the radar. But the rest of these are typically beers that are not hard to find if they are available in your area, aren't trendy styles of beer, and have been produced for many years. Someone should save this list for the "what beers should I recommend for someone interested in learning about beer styles"

8. nc41

Trader

It is, great food too, their cabbage rolls are as good as my wife makes. My wife makes a better Sheppard’s Pie, but theirs is good. Like their beers too, nice to see a place that has lighter offerings available.

rgordon likes this.
  9. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,085) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

In the South Atlantic forum, somebody asked if there were any beers like Heady Topper in Virginia/NoVA. I thought about it, and there really isn't any brewery making IPAs like Heady. Let me go a step further and say that there aren't any breweries trying to make beers like Heady. Most are trying to make the juicy IPAs featuring a hop or two. There aren't really any breweries trying to construct a beer with layers of things going on. To me, Heady remains a distinct experience in comparison to the monotony of IPAs on the market today. I don't know if enough people recognize that and that would be my case for Heady being underrated.

I don't know if it'd be my Top 15 of underrated beers, but I definitely think it's taken for granted.

10. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (547) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Underappreciated--perhaps but to call most of these underrated is a bit off.

11. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,802) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I looked like a Bugs Bunny cartoon as I was scrolling down the article and came to Heady - literally screeched to a halt with a "Boing!" Heady? Underrated? Does not compute.

I also thought, "I gotta try those porters." That style in particular, along with pilsner, has always stood out to me as underrated in general - or overlooked. Glad to see a couple of beers in both styles mentioned in that article.

rgordon and surfcaster like this.
  12. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,802) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Heady is a victim of the "that is SOOOOO 2014" thinking, IMHO. I had some back in the summer, still love that beer - perfectly executed, again IMHO.

13. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,552) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I can vouch for the North Coast Berlinner Weise. I haven't had the tart cherry as mentioned in the article but I tried a Passionfruit Peach version off the singles rack from a local store just because it was marked at $0.99 (and it was pretty old dated as well). I was shocked at how tasty and well made that beer was for the style. Completely caught me off guard. I think the article nailed that hidden gem. Recommend anyone that likes light ABV tart beers, to give that one a try.

I'm sure there are plenty of ones people can mention but one I could recommend that I had several times in the past (repeated yesterday for Thanksgiving) was Lindemann's Oude Gueze Cuvee Rene (or the Oude Kriek...I have them both rated about the same). So underestimated in the world of wild sours. Really well crafted, relatively cheap and easy to find. Very underrated.

14. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I've never had it, but how could Heady Topper be underrated if it's rated #5 on BA at 4.76? Where is it rated low?

bluejacket74 likes this.
  15. MNAle

Society

#1 in the NEIPA style rank.

bbtkd likes this.
  16. nc41

Trader

Headys a great beer, but underrated is a real stretch by any means. It still 5 on the list, so I’d say it’s rated properly, it would still be my highest rated IPA along with Abrasive, well the from 5-6 years ago at least. It has a small footprint, so it’s certainly not readily available outside the far northeast.

ovaltine and bbtkd like this.
  17. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,156) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Another article where the editor chose clickbait over accuracy with the headline. I get that “15 Brewers Tell Us Their Opinion of an Underrated Beer” isn’t as sexy, but it’s cheap to call these the “most” underrated.

Though, any article asking Ben Edmunds’s opinion is doing something right. He’s one of the smartest Brewers in the industry. I wager if he was at a brewery in the Great Lakes or NE regions, he’d get the Shaun Hill treatment on this website.

beertunes likes this.
  18. nc41

Trader

I’m guessing Pliny is in that same boat as well, how can a beer that old and so not edgy be all that appreciated? It is still appreciated and has been since it was introduced, 19 years I’d guess. That’s the test of time, still #7 at 4.75.

ovaltine likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

As others have mentioned given this list the term of "underappreciated" would have been more appropriate. But maybe "underappreciated" won't generate the same number of clicks?

Cheers!

20. MNAle

Society

While I agree that Breakside brews some really good beers, are you really complaining about lack of recognition because a brewer is located in Portland?

21. sharpski

Society Trader

Not complaining, but I know NW breweries/brewers are under-represented on this site for a variety of reasons. I don't know Hill Farmstead or Shaun Hill well enough to say whether the "best in the world" claims are exaggerated or not, but it's certainly not a controversial opinion on BA. Ben's on that level (my opinion, obviously) but is not recognized nearly as much here.

beertunes likes this.
  22. islay

islay Aspirant (299) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Oregon beers don't get much hype nationally in 2019 because:
    1. Most of them don't get much distribution outside of the Pacific Northwest, which isn't a major population center, media center, or tourist destination.
    2. There are so many great beers from so many small breweries in Oregon that it's hard to pick a particular beer or brewery around which to rally.
    3. Oregon has a mature and sophisticated enough craft beer market and craft beer clientele that they're hard to blow away and not very excitable.
    In other words, Oregon beers don't get much hype for all the best reasons. Lack of hype for great beer, frustrating as it may be, is a mark of sophistication.

23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,660) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Adding Utica Club to the mental list, now...

24. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,116) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Bodhi is awesome

25. sharpski

Society Trader

No argument from me. I see no reason to convince others to compete for my favorite beers. In an article about underrated beers, I saw that an underrated (on here) NW Brewer I admire contributed to this piece, and wanted to give him props.

#25 sharpski, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    beertunes and islay like this.
  26. rgordon

To me, Ipswich Oatmeal Stout is the best over-looked beer in my memory.

Witherby, Sheppard, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  27. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,494) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Shhhhhh!!!!

Mister_Faucher and nc41 like this.
  28. nc41

Trader

Lol, and It’s stuck in Seattle, might as well be the moon for most people.

29. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,067) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Saison Dupont? Really? My distributor can't seem to keep Veltins Pils in stock because that stuff FLIES off of shelves around here.

Bitterbill and beertunes like this.
  30. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,304) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

That's what I was thinking, how in the entire f*#$ is Heady Topper underrated??? Pretty weird place we've arrived in beer if that one flies under the radar

31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

And at great prices. Around $7 for a 4pack locally.

32. JackHorzempa

Society

Are the bottles dated with a bottled on date? Can you find this beer fresh?

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,085) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Not exaggerated at all. I don't know if I would say every beer is mind blowing. I think there are some that get a Hill bump. I do think that overall, it is definitely the best brewery that I have come across. I would love to come across more that I regard in the same light as Hill. I really would.
    Now we're talking.

rgordon and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  34. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,520) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Where? I'm guessing it is someplace that I have not been in quite a while but I probably need to swing by again soon.

nc41 likes this.
  35. rgordon

McCouls. It's a great old standard that we all forget on occasion. It is authentic to the bone.

nc41 likes this.
  36. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,520) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Probably been close to 7 years since I've been there... need to add it to the list of places I need to try when I go out and grab a bite to eat.

nc41 and rgordon like this.
  37. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

They're cans, 16 ouncers. It's been a while so I don't remember what the dating was like.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

Society

The majority of the German brewed beers at my local beer retailers are old (> 6 months old). Hopefully your local beer retailers have fresher product.

Cheers!

officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  39. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,882) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, U.C. - both the Pilsener and the Cream Ale ("retired" in the 80s?) - used to be distributed in NJ back in the 1960-1980s but I take it they've shrunk the beer's distro. region over the years (think it's mostly just NYS nowadays?*), after first Matt's Premium and then the Saranac line became the brewery's flagship brand. I don't think we get their new-ish Haus Lager, either.

* Used to be commonly found in PA, too, in the state's once-favored package, the case of 16 oz. returnable/refillable bottles.

Not a lot of choice if someone wants a non-macro/traditional AAL in NJ these days - Genesee Beer, Yuengling Premium, Lionshead, Narragansett - probably a few others I'm forgetting since I don't frequent those aisles often...

40. nc41

Trader

Their cabbage rolls are a nice compliment to the beers too.