General Manager of Mac's Public House Arrested for Not Complying with Coronavirus Restrictions

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Todd, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,216) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...mac-s-public-house-co-owner-arrested-covid-19

Related:

AlcahueteJ, Argail, Roguer and 4 others like this.
  2. officerbill

officerbill Defender (613) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

3. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Zealot (505) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

I get the frustration but we can all do better

AlcahueteJ, DBosco, ColdOne and 9 others like this.
  4. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

I'm all for protests, but this joker put people's lives at risk. I hope they permanently yank the business license, or assuming the owners didn't know, at least fire the manager.

5. officerbill

officerbill Defender (613) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-county-covid-data-212604363.html

Maybe the wrong places are being closed?

Anyway, this is a beer forum so that's I'll say about covid :beers:

CBlack85, BillAfromSoCal and SP23 like this.
  6. AWA

It's not that we're closing the wrong things, it's that we're leaving open the wrong things. Fuck, just close it all for the next 90-120 days. OK, maybe not the fire department, but why the hell is parks and rec open? Damn, my mom lives in LA, that makes me want to throw some money at some elections to get some people thrown out of office.

KRug likes this.
  7. Todd

8. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,829) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

At least the contact tracers will have something to keep them busy. :rolling_eyes:

People just continue to amaze me.

vurt, AlcahueteJ and russpowell like this.
  9. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,917) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I've stopped being amazed and transitioned to fear. Getting harder and harder to stave off depression. We are in real trouble and I don't just mean the pandemic.

vurt, emerge077, MaximumYuks and 15 others like this.
  10. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,396) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Sadly as a country there’s too much ignorance to comply with basic safety standards.
    At this point the only way we’ll get out of this is when the vaccine is widely available.

11. AWA

AlcahueteJ and Jugs_McGhee like this.
  12. BrewmanCapote

BrewmanCapote Aspirant (257) Feb 3, 2013 Illinois

The complete lack of concern for other people is what gets me. Imagine thinking that possibly being responsible for the death of others is preferable to wearing a mask.

vurt, chippo33, AlcahueteJ and 9 others like this.
  13. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (69) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

I'm guessing most of these people were arguing for "law and order" earlier this year. Funny how that changes when it happens to be a law they don't like. Then it becomes about "freedom".

emerge077, Gajo74, Shanex and 18 others like this.
  14. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,651) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

There's a lot more people than you might suspect who both support movements for greater social/racial justice and the push against severe social restrictions as a tool of public health

15. JHDStein

That is probably true, since I've met very few people who hold those two beliefs simultaneously. Nor would any of them classify NY's restrictions as "severe". But those that I have met who overlap in these areas tend to still believe in protesting responsibly and within the law (neither of which this crowd seems to care about).

MightyTrustKrusher likes this.
  16. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (552) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Agreed. This is also a beer forum. How many people on here have had one too many driven home "buzzed", or worse? 99%?

pjeagles likes this.
  17. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Eh I don't know the specifics of nys restrictions. I do personally consider it a severe restriction to mandate that a business not operate and offer low interest loans as.their primary option for " relief". To me, there needs.to be a level of relief available that is commensurate with the degree of control the government seeks to assert. Shutting down my business and offering me a bit of debt in recompense doesn't seem very reasonable

vurt, sharpski, AlcahueteJ and 9 others like this.
  18. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (314) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I applaud this type of civil disobedience.

19. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (478) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

20. JHDStein

I guess don't see any of these business regulations as "severe" because business owners could have protected themselves with a bit of foresight. “Business disruption insurance” is a real thing, that should cover disruptions to business income due to COVID. I don’t want my tax money (or more likely, my children’s tax money) to bail out business owners who were too cheap to protect themselves. They cut costs to provide a cheaper product/service and profited from that in the marketplace. But that also comes with increased risk. If the government bails out such risk takers, it only incentivizes this sort of behavior and punishes those businesses that did the right thing and protected themselves against such an eventuality. No thanks.

I’m happy to bail out those businesses that had/have such insurance and can’t get a payout (because insurance companies are fighting this tooth and nail). And I am also happy to have my taxes support the employees who lose their jobs. These are actual victims who suffer from the unexpected regulations that seek to protect the population. But not the owners who could have protected themselves. They can talk about “freedom” all they want, but the government doesn’t mandate such insurance, because businesses always want the “freedom” to choose their risk profile. Fine. Live by it; die by it. Regardless, it is not my problem.

21. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,469) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Unfortunately insurance companies aren’t paying business disruption policies out, I know first hand. It’s also easy to say that you support your tax dollars going to businesses and employees hurt during these times but that’s also not, currently, a reality. So what’s a business to do, shut down, lay everyone off and hope that at some point they get the support they need? At this point I don’t see state or federal government helping as much as businesses need.

22. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,307) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

“Law and Order” in the United States means putting your boot on the throats of people of color. It has nothing to do with respect for the institutions of government.

vurt, emerge077, Gajo74 and 14 others like this.
  23. JHDStein

Sorry to hear that. It's not surprising. Even where it is obviously covered, insurance companies are willing to fight it out in court because they have the money to do so and policy holders don't. I think the government should buy out the policy holders (or take over the policy), and then sue on their behalf.

Yes. The alternative is to stay open and put their customers' lives at risk while also violating the law.

You're right: I do find it easy to say that my tax dollars should go to help people.

24. thebeers

Society Trader

My colleague in the same city as these folks got COVID and his elementary-school-aged daughter got COVID six-plus months ago. The daughter had to be hospitalized. They’re no longer actively sick, but still have some shortness of breath and aren’t 100%. Thirty-seven other people in their building have died of COVID.

25. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The phrase "law and order" was tainted and made a marker in around 1968 by avowed racist George Wallace. When I hear it I know what it means.

vurt, emerge077, Gajo74 and 15 others like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Haha, it is idio..., err, people with uninformed and uncaring attitudes like the people referenced in OP that have started me prepping more seriously. I'm set for four months, not gonna enter a store until at least then. We are not red zone again here, but our county just issued an alert that I'm sure is precursor. Hope all y'all are fixed for this. Be smart, be well.

AlcahueteJ, Scrapss, ColdOne and 5 others like this.
  27. AWA

I don't think the restrictions are too severe, but I would really like to see a hell of a lot more money being given out in aid. When we were looking at 2-3 months of business interruption, I felt that business owners should be able to handle it on there own. Now that we're sneaking up on 10 months of shit, with no end in the immediate sight, I realize these guys need help.

28. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

cavedave likes this.
  29. readyski

readyski Aspirant (268) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

30. thebeers

Society Trader

FYI, the PPP loans didn’t need to be paid back if employers retained the same number of employees for the loan period. So not debt — free coverage of their payroll for a couple months.

That program was quickly gobbled up by the biggest, best-connected companies though, and all these months later was obviously far too short-lived. There should have been a lot of other relief programs as well.

AlcahueteJ, DBosco, meefmoff and 4 others like this.
  31. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ya that's my biggest issue. Poverty and the associated illnesses are much more dangerous to a population

So far, our "public health" response has massively increased poverty in our country and apparently hasn't delivered much protection from a virus. Seems like an unmitigated failure to me and I find insistence that everyone continue to follow this course to be extremely narrow sighted and far from compassionate.

We've been carefully trained to regard anyone who reaches different conclusions than us, about extremely complex topics, as some mix of evil and ignorant. Its one of the most dangerous things we are dealing with

32. Todd

More from the protest...

33. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Damn, they're really rousing a rabble out there in Staten island

34. readyski

readyski Aspirant (268) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Occupy Seattle = liberal
    Occupy Staten Island = conservative
    So Occupy = American? :thinking_face:

35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

You are entitled to that opinion, but AFAIK there is no evidence that dealing with a pandemic of this magnitude one way versus another way yields ANY difference in effect on present or future poverty. Further, many of us have lived through severe economic downturns and we know that the economy recovers, whereas every dead person is still dead.

36. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Zealot (505) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

I feel for small business owners but as cases continue to spike throughout our country idk how to feel. I don't want anyone to die and I don't want anyone to lose their business or homes. I thought it was our governments job to repair the economy

37. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,116) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, a Venn diagram of the Qnon/Anti-science/Covid-denying/"Trump Really Won"-ites and Anti-Vaxxers would likely show a big overlap... but I guess it'll help the rest of us --- eventually.

38. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (314) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

39. AWA

This isn't one that can easily be repaired. Personally, I'd be throwing crazy money our right now if it was my call. But ultimately that's going to cause insane inflation. And we haven't even begun to see the negative economic impact. Wait until all the local municipalities see the real impact and start laying off large number of employees.

40. Casterbridge

Casterbridge Disciple (377) Mar 26, 2010 Connecticut

On the bright side, this Coriolis I'm drinking is pretty tasty.

Scrapss, Rocktire and AWA like this.