Genesee Releasing Hoppy Version of Cream Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,687) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Oooh! If family don't come through, I'll be posting an ISO.

Back in the early 80s, I went through a stage where Screamers were my beer of choice. I'm from Genny country, so I still have a residue of loyalty, despite that they're now owned by some damn conglomerate.

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I’m sure it will be tasty, but damn their beer gives me a terrible headache. Love their Oktoberfest, but can’t drink it because of that.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,688) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have purchased several Genesee specialty beers over the past few years including their Schwarzbier, Bock,...I can buy those 12 beers for less than 10 bucks and while they are not the absolute best beers in the world they are the 'best beer for the buck' for me.

If I see this 12-pack at my local Wegman's I will indeed be purchasing this beer.

I wonder if Genesee has ever dry hopped their Cream Ale in the past? Paging @jesskidden.

Cheers!

5. kuhndog

kuhndog Disciple (358) Sep 6, 2011 New York

Does anyone know what, hop variety, it will be dry hopped with?

Amendm likes this.
  6. ESHBG

Bitterbill, kuhndog and Amendm like this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (822) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Im in. If anyone sees this in the Philly area let me know.

Enjoy

kuhndog, Scrapss and Amendm like this.
  8. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Meyvn (1,024) Mar 15, 2003 California

Come to me... (looks around...) damnit, I'm in California

hopfenunmaltz, kuhndog and Amendm like this.
  9. Amendm

Amendm Champion (855) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I drank the original version on occasion many years ago. I have yet to review a Cream Ale, this could be a good first.

Cheers.

Blogjackets likes this.
  10. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,630) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I immediately thought of you when I saw this post.

beertunes likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, the current "Genesee Cream Ale" according to the brewery is the one created by brewmaster Clarence Geminn circa 1960 - supposedly originally a blend of their lager and "ale" - by '60, that would have been 12 Horse Ale.

12 Horse was labeled and advertised as being dry-hopped in the 1930-40s and might have still been, but the advertising was somewhat vague:
    "Brewed by the traditional ale process - with all the extra ingredients that make it ale instead of beer."
    Although - "extra" ingredients?

Genesee brewed a lot of ales in the first 3 decades after Repeal though. Based on the graphics, names, etc., it's possible a few of them were just name changes and recipe tweaks. What was called Genesee Light Ale in the late 1930s was dry-hopped, but by the 40s a similar labeled beer called Genesee Light Cream Ale was advertised as being "clean... light... smooth" and as having "just a hint of the hops". Dickens Cream Ale was another 40s-50s Genesee ale, noted for having less "bitterness".

Genesee's "English" ale, Old Stratford was dry-hopped.
    [​IMG]
    And it is likely their 9 Horse Ale, Stock Ale and maybe Sparkling Ale were also.

12. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,535) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Hell I'd be happy to get the regular cream ale here-all I ever see is Beer and Ice......love me some Genny Cream and would love to try this.

13. jesskidden

Society Trader

I've never found a total annual barrelage for all the breweries owned by Florida Ice and Farm Co. but they haven't made any of the Top World Brewers lists from the last few years - which (for 2018) would make them smaller than #40 China's Gold Star with a barrelage of 3.6 mil hl. or about 3 million US barrels.

That'd make FIFCO - the "damn conglomerate" :wink: - smaller than Genesee Brewing Co., back in the Wehle family ownership days at their peak barrelage, when they brewed 3.625 million barrels of beer in 1981. Genesee was then the 9th largest brewer in the US.

(Since the larger US breweries continued to fold or merge in the next two decades, Genesee's position in the Top Ten actually went UP as their barrelage went down in the 1980s and 1990s - in 2000 they were #6 but only brewed 1.15M bbl).

That's odd - in NJ I'd say the Cream Ale is easiest to find...

#13 jesskidden, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    pudgym29, Bitterbill, tzieser and 4 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

Another plus for this new beer is that at least the brewery name of Genesee is acknowledged (i.e., spelled out) on the front label:

[​IMG]

In contrast there is no mention of Genesee on the regular Cream Ale packaging:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

15. Scrapss

Scrapss Savant (997) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I will definitely be looking for this beer. Nothing finer than an ice cold Genny Cream Ale on a screaming hot summer day...except maybe this dry hopped version.

16. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,535) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

That's odd - in NJ I'd say the Cream Ale is easiest to find...[/QUOTE]

May be but I am in Maryland.......born and raised in NJ and drank the stuff all through high school and after.

17. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (223) Nov 8, 2009 New York

[​IMG] Wonder if it’s the same recipe as this:

18. JackHorzempa

Society

The answer is no as was provide by @ESHBG in post #6 above.

From the link he provided:

“A new Dry-Hopped Cream Ale to launch this fall won’t be hopped exclusively with Mosaic, but rather a selection of “modern hops” handpicked by head brewmaster Steve Kaplan.”

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper....a-new-dry-hopped-version/Content?oid=11680425

Perhaps at some later time they will release the exact details of which of the various hop varieties were used to dry hop this new beer.

Cheers!

19. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,245) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

This is a magical quote for historical context, especially with how many people argue over how "their" version of terminology is the only correct version (whether that's stout versus porter, stout versus ale, adjunct versus additive, session IPA, black IPA, etc.). Here you've got a brewer referring to "extra ingredients," without specifying what they are - or why they would be necessary to qualify a product as an ale - and also stating that ale and beer are distinct and separate terms.

He could have meant just about anything, but it's a great example of how our terminology is ever-changing, and what's true and accurate at this snapshot in time isn't necessarily true tomorrow, nor is it necessarily something established over decades or centuries of tradition. It's just what happens to be accepted here and now, both in terms of time and location, and no one has ownership over those terms.

I am curious if "extra ingredients" referred to dry-hopping, or ale yeast, or spices, or malt adjunct (corn or rice), or ... something different?

Ranbot, Singlefinpin, SABERG and 3 others like this.
  20. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, well - "beer and ale" was long a standard phrase used by the US brewing industry in the pre-craft era - with "beer" understood to be "(lager) beer". (I've replied to numerous threads about it and I'm still sometimes confused or surprised when some folks note it:
    "What's wrong with that? Oh, yeah..."
    .)

As in the long time slogan of what used to be the United States Brewers Association (now The Beer Institute):
    BEER AND ALE - AMERICA'S BEVERAGES OF MODERATION
    [​IMG]
    Heck -Genesee themselves still has signage that uses it:
    [​IMG]
    I take it that the meaning was "extra = more". So, they used "extra" barley malt/corn (to boost the ABV, since by tradition most US ales were higher in alcohol than the same brewer's lager) and "extra" hops (ditto - for IBUs).

21. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,311) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am totally stoked to try this!! I love Gene Cream and have been drinking it since way back when I was routinely doing trips from CT to upstate NY to visit family, and then used to buy cases of cans for music festivals. Totally psyched! Think I'm going to have to also get a six of regular Gene Cream to drink alongside the Dry Hopped version, and hope like hell this doesn't change my love for craft beer and Belgians...!!

22. Foyle

Foyle Savant (984) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Would love to try this Cream Ale variant. But I cannot even find the regular Cream Ale in my area. I found one store in Coastal NC that carried Genesee Beer and Genesee Ice but I don't much care for either of those (especially when you have to buy them 30 at a time!)

Singlefinpin likes this.
  23. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (182) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

Genny Cream was a favorite of mine for a long long time. Introduced to it on a business trip in the early 80's to upstate NY. For a long time it was not distributed here, but had friends that went to PA multiple times a year to visit family, and would have them bring me back all they could load into their Subaru wagon.

Today I am 99% local craft beer drinker, but that other 1% is probably a Genny Cream

Singlefinpin and Blogjackets like this.
  24. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,245) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

As for the "beer and ale" thing, I've seen your posts on that. It just kind of reinforces my point, though, as nowadays, ale is very much considered a subset of beer, and beer is not considered to be a term exclusive to lager. The language has evolved. I'm sure if there had been BA back in the day, there would have been an uproar over the concept of considering an ale a beer. "But they don't even use the same yeast!" :rofl:

Hmmm, I didn't consider "extra" as simply a modifier there - as in, "more." It certainly makes the grammar of the sentence clunkier, but that's hardly something that beggars belief. And if your interpretation is correct, it makes sense that he would have considered a "proper" ale to need "extra." More ingredients meaning more quantity, not more variety.

25. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Devotee (476) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

I’m the distant past I drank many Genny Screamers while listening to Kim Mitchell sing, “Late weekend night and I'm at the Bojar Grill. I got decisions to be made between lager and ale.” If I see a new Cream Ale, I’ll give it a shot. Cheers!

26. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,335) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Whaaaaa a sub $10 twelver of Schwarzbier?! Get with the program Michigan!

Singlefinpin and officerbill like this.
  27. Spade

Spade Initiate (90) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Well if you can't find this beer, might as well go for a soda.

28. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Devotee (476) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

This Canadian content is brought to you by the CBC. Only one song to follow that...

29. Spade

Spade Initiate (90) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Been decades since I've heard that one. Now, for some reason, I'm in the mood for Chilliwack.

On topic, I'm keeping an eye out for this beer. I always enjoy a cream ale and don't see nearly enough of them on the shelves around here.

Singlefinpin and Blogjackets like this.
  30. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (570) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

and it's a pretty decent one to boot. Not the best in the world, but it scratches the schwartzbier itch.
    I always thought it was a German on the label, turns out it's an annoying bearded hipster

Blogjackets, Singlefinpin and kuhndog like this.
  31. JTWW55

JTWW55 Initiate (25) Aug 18, 2020 New York

If you look at the ABV% it is the same as the dry hopped Cream Ale Other Half collaborated with Genny on last year. They taste very similar as well.

Blogjackets, Singlefinpin and ESHBG like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

Society

And what exactly is he smoking!?!:confused:

Cheers!

33. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (152) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

The OH/Genny HDHC Dream Ale was pretty tasty. So I'll grab this.

Singlefinpin and ESHBG like this.
  34. jesskidden

Society Trader

Can't he be both? :grin:

A few years ago, Genesee had an entire line of Dundee-branded "crafty" beers, the label for the Porter featured what sure looked like a train conductor, not a porter.
    [​IMG]

Singlefinpin, BJC, tolar111 and 3 others like this.
  35. pbrian

pbrian Defender (692) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Dundee Pale Bock was a damn fine beer!! And the rest of that mixed pack was good enough beer for the price too..,

Singlefinpin, BruChef, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  36. ESHBG

I agree, I miss those. The mixed pack were always a big hit at family parties.

BruChef, Blogjackets and Redrover like this.
  37. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (822) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Any sighting in SEPA?

Enjoy

38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Assuming it has to be close, if not already there. A place near Selinsgrove got it in last week?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (258) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I see the regular Genny, the Cream Ale, the light, and the ice all over the place but the seasonals are very elusive for some reason. I was lucky to find the Ruby Red Kolsch for 2 years in a row but the same store didnt carry it this year. The Bock, Octoberfest, and Schwarzbier Ive never seen.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  40. Stignacious

Stignacious Defender (678) Aug 24, 2011 New York

I bought a 12 pack last weekend, and I'm halfway through it. Light hop note to compliment the mild sweetness. According to the latest issue of Craft Beer and Brewing, the original cream ales were a little hoppy, so this might be more faithful to the style than I first thought. Nothing fancy, but it's a good drinkable beer. Zero regrets