Genesee Special Edition - Ruby Red Kolsch

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DarkDragon999, Apr 2, 2018.

1. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hmm, needless to say I haven't tried this beer yet but...

I would be interested in tasting this Kolsch without the Ruby Red Grapefruit. Maybe next year?

Cheers!

@utopiajane

Scrapss, jasonmason and scottakelly like this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

They brewed one under their "crafty" Dundee brand name -
    Dundee Kolsch - but like a lot of Dundee beers, it apparently didn't last long.

Scrapss and Bitterbill like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Society

In the recent past (two years ago?) Genesee produced a German Pilsner that was excellent. I am confident that brewer could also produce a quality 'regular' Kolsch if he was so inclined.

Cheers!

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,245) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Oh well,I do like ruby red grapefruit.

DonObiWan and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,678) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Me too. Ruby Red (Bird) was a nice one from Spoetzl. At least, I thought so.

7. danx_42

danx_42 Initiate (22) Aug 3, 2017 New York

I just had some this past weekend. It is truly disgusting. It’s kinda like Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit juice and some beer mixed together. Believe me, the “grapefruit” flavor is not subtle. Yuk.

nc41, BeRightBock and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

When you add shit to a Kolsch-style it is no longer a Kolsch

drmeto, nc41, JoePasko and 9 others like this.
  9. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (89) Mar 10, 2018 New York

I still don't get it. I really don't. I can enjoy a glass of beer. I can enjoy a glass of grapefruit juice. I have no interest in either being flavored with the other. Yuck.

nc41, Scrapss, nodder and 2 others like this.
  10. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,896) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I agree with @Ahonky, once you deviate you can no longer call it a Kölsch, and in my opinion if you're not from Köln you shouldn't be calling it Kölsch either. At least be respectful and call it a Kölsch-style beer. But don't add anything and then call it a Kölsch-style beer because it's not.

nc41, Scrapss, WadeBridgman and 2 others like this.
  11. JoePasko

12. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (719) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

Hefeweizen for breakfast sound good.

13. Jdotbrone

Jdotbrone Initiate (43) Oct 5, 2016 New York

Probably in the minority here but i liked it (I’ll see myself out now)

BruChef and PatrickCT like this.
  14. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (549) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Genesee seems to be trying out a few new things. Interesting.

Scrapss, DonObiWan and PatrickCT like this.
  15. JoePasko

They have been putting out craft-style beer under the "Genesee Brew House" line. I had their Scotch Ale and that was pretty good, but so far every other GBH thing I've seen at the store has been chocolate, or vanilla or fruit -- nothing that appeals to me. They have one called SMASH (Single Malt And Single Hops), which I'd like to try, but I haven't seen that one at any stores here in Albany.

16. CNoj012

CNoj012 Meyvn (1,466) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I finally pulled the trigger on a 12pk and have very mixed feelings. In no way shape or form does this even slightly remind me of a kolsch, and that is disappointing.

On the other hand, if you look at it outside the scope of a kolsch and just as a beer or shandy, it is damn good. Unbelievably drinkable, very refreshing, not sweet enough to make it unsessionable and $7.99 per 12pk to boot.

I'm very unsure how to score/review it though. I know the old guard on here will say that you should rate to style, but that score would reflect the total opposite of my overall enjoyment of it.

If this beer was classified as a shandy, I'd say it was the best I've ever had in that style. Regardless, it will be a mainstay in my fridge for the hot months YMMV.

Scrapss, Zaphog and BruChef like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

Which style do you personally think this beer is? I would recommend that you review this beer with the answer to that question in mind.

FWIW, I personally would never categorize a beer that was fruited as being a Kolsch.

Cheers!

meefmoff, Scrapss, ecpho and 2 others like this.
  18. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Devotee (449) Apr 27, 2007 New York
    Society Trader

This brand brings back a horrid memory.

Gives me the shivers.

:astonished:

nodder likes this.
  19. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (199) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Take the beer at face value. One of The “cool” things to do right now is add stuff to kolsch (clown shoes adds mango, a few breweries I’ve seen have been dry hoping with American hops, etc.)
    That being said, this beer is fantastic and sold out on its first batch so quickly that Genesee had to make an unplanned second batch which is also disappearing of shelves. As said it’s super refreshing, super crushable and super affordable.

kuhndog and CNoj012 like this.
  20. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Couldnt find it last summer but I did find it this summer and at 9.99 for a 12 pack you cant really beat that imo. I did notice the grapefruit smell was a lot stronger than the grapefruit taste and I like easy drinking so Im fine with that.

21. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (393) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Local store has it for $8.99 a 12 pack. Will be picking it up soon.

22. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,052) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Hahaha, their new schwarzbier was surprisingly good. Keep an eye out this winter.

kuhndog likes this.
  23. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (875) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Skipping this one, waiting for Oktoberfest from them.

See above. And their Bock was not bad either, surprisingly.

Will look for that as well. Thanks!

ugh. Gimme a classic Kolsch, please.

Another reason to like the seasonal Genessee offerings, however.

BruChef and tzieser like this.
  24. BruChef

Their now retired Dundee line used to have a really solid Kolsch available in the summer. Was great to stop by the brew house after a long, hot day at work and crush a pint while sitting on the balcony over-looking high falls.

GetMeAnIPA and Scrapss like this.
  25. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (875) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would have enjoyed this.

26. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (393) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Having this one right now. It's very easy to drink, not sweet at all, and has just the right amount of grapefruit flavor that you know there's grapefruit in it. For the price, it really can't be beat.

kuhndog and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  27. JoePasko

I thought they had just stopped distributing Dundee beers in the Albany area. There was a time where I could get Dundee only at Price Chopper supermarkets, and not at any of the local beverage centers (w/ the exception of Honey Brown). But you say they stopped making Dundee beers altogether ? I was not aware of that. Too bad. But maybe the company is going with the Genesee Brew House line as their main offering in the craft beer category.

28. BruChef

Save for Honey Brown, that’s exactly what they have done. Kind of a bummer. Some of those beers (porter, kolsch, pale Bock, O-fest, pale ale, and when on draft, the IPA) were pretty good. Especially for the price. Unfortunately, From what I understand, All the bottled beers including the Dundee line and the now current Brew House Series bottled beers were/are bottle pasteurized and sometimes the difference is pretty significant compared to the non-pasteurized draft/keg versions.

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,865) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Sounds like they made it a Radler.

30. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,315) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Im not sure it is a true "Kolsch", but for what it is, damn tasty brew on a hot day at the beach or bbq, definitly worth a shot.

kuhndog and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.