German IPAs

Discussion in 'Germany' started by -N8, Feb 8, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -N8

-N8 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2014 Germany

Back in Apr 2013 my job gave me the opportunity to move to southern Germany and I took it. I mean what beer drinker wouldn't jump at the chance to live in Germany for several years whilst getting paid to do it, ja? So we made the move from Albuquerque, NM to Stuttgart. I knew I was going to miss my favorite local brewery, La Cumbre Brewing Company, but we were looking forward to trying new things (beer). However, it only took me a couple weeks to realize that Germany is awesome if you like the same half dozen styles all the time, but if you want some variety like IPAs you are outta luck. So, shortly after arriving I had 2 cases of La Cumbre's Elevated IPA sent over from ABQ in a care package since my local Getränkemarkt didn't have anything. Since getting US beer here in any quantity is a pain, I made it a quest to see if I could track down any German IPAs and it turns out there is a quite revolution taking place where small independent brewers and breweries are stating to make IPAs (and other nontraditional styles). German IPAs tend to be very well balanced and aren't typically not hop-bombs like many American IPAs tend to be.

The first IPA I came across was from Alexander Himburg, a guest brewer who brewed on another brewery's equipment in Michelstadt, a small village deep in the Odenwald not too far from Heidelberg. Alexander is a man on a mission to bring 500 years of Reinheitsgebot into the 21st Century by brewing a fine selection of delishious IPAs & Pale Ales under his label, BrauKunstKeller. The Odenwald isn't far from where we live so we dropped by for a visit and swapped La Cumbre Elevated IPA for some of his brew.

Alexander Himburg (right) and his assistant brewers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second IPA I found was from CREW AleWerkstatt a small brewery out of the great beer city, München.

[​IMG]

They make a delicious DIPA also:
    [​IMG]

Another München brewery, Camba, is also making a wide variety of delicious brews but I haven't sampled any of their IPAs yet - I got distracted by their Milk and Imperial Stouts.

There are some other German IPAs but they need more time to develop and I can't recommend them. Hofenstopfer among them.

The quest continues...

#1 -N8, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Cool thread! Keep us up to date on your quest and experiences in Germany.

-N8 likes this.
  3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,623) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

What did they think of the Elevated?

4. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (0) May 22, 2008 England

Braustelle in Koln also does an IPA

-N8 likes this.
  5. -N8

He quite enjoyed it. I gave him links Jeff Erway's (owner & brewer of La Cumbre) blog where he got some tips from Jeff and brewed a new recipe based on it.

6. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

Good stuff, man! Very nice pics. Don't be afraid to take some pics of the stouts too. :wink:

-N8 likes this.
  7. TreinJan

TreinJan Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

Camba Bavaria is in Truchtlaching, which is a part of Seeon-Seebruck near the Chiemsee, so quite some distance from München. Probably Traunstein is the nearest larger town.

8. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2011 California

Awesome thread! Looking forward to updates!

9. Ungespundetes

Ungespundetes Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Antarctica

Cool stuff and good luck with your quest (although... IPA is one of the styles I'm not into).

Didn't spend too long in Stuttgart but I did manage to check out a couple of brewpubs there when in B-W.

10. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

I know a few folks who are doing this :grimacing: and this :angry: right now.

JackHorzempa and Gutes_Bier like this.
  11. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

He's in Stuttgart. Desperate times call for desperate measures...:grinning:

boddhitree, einhorn and herrburgess like this.
  12. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Exactly. Heck, even when I was in Bamberg I had cravings for American-style (I)PAs.

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  13. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

LOL - at least he gets Rothaus and possibly Alpirsbacher.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  14. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I like that OP is doing this (I wish it was allowed to stay in the Main Forum, but whatever). I hope he finds some gems along the way.

Nevertheless, I also hope OP takes the time to peruse the German forum and starts tracking down the best of the traditional styles. Germany has a much better diversity than a trip to the local Getränkemärkt might suggest. And when you come across one of those Great Ones, man there is just nothing like it. I don't miss IPA's nearly as much as I used to.

pixieskid, boddhitree and danfue like this.
  15. Bierman9

Bierman9 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,669) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I love quality German biers, but when I get back to the US from Urlaub, it is HOP CITY baby!! ;-)

Prosit!!

herrburgess likes this.
  16. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

When I used to come back to the US on vacation, I'd head straight for my buddy's brewpub, the Hunter Gatherer. His beers used the Hale's yeast from Seattle, where he interned before opening his own place, and lots of C-hops for aroma (EKG for bittering). In recent years, unfortunately, the yeast has taken on some odd flavors, and the hopping has decreased. Sierra Nevada still scratches my C-hop itch, though...just as it has for 20+ years.

17. -N8

Ah - danke for the correction.

I was missing stouts here in Germany, but Camba scratched that itch (plus I brought a couple cases of Left Hand Milk Stout Nito over with us).

[​IMG]

I do get Alpirsbacher. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

JackHorzempa, einhorn and BlueRogue like this.
  18. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,815) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah Society

Have you had
    When you have that, then you'll know what a REAL German IPA is. I plan to try BrauKunstKeller's IPAs later this week, so I'll give a review of it later, and see what they've got.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What makes it a German IPA is not that it's "made in Germany," which though good, makes it simply a copy of an American or English style IPA. What makes it a REAL German IPA is combining American, German and British/Belgian malts or hops. For example, Pax's Cissy IPA uses Münchner, Pils and Bamberger Smoked malts, German (Hallertauer Perle & Saphir) and American (Cascade) hops. Now THAT is a German IPA!

does a really good, but not real REAL German IPA IMO, more a copy and an "ABI," or "Another Bloody IPA." I love what Brauerei Faust's Auswander 1849 does but I need to drink it again to give a better opinion on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    is a good example of a REAL German IPA, too.

Carry on. Also, you're welcome to join us in our German forum discussions and give your opinions of traditional German beer (craft or Fernsehbier) by reviewing what you drink. I appreciate you telling us your story of visiting BKKeller with the pics, but how did the beers taste? I'd really love to hear your opinions on them.

#18 boddhitree, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Gutes_Bier and -N8 like this.
  19. -N8

Oooo…. we'll check out Pax Bräu' on our next trip up to Würzburg and I'll keep an eye out for those others.

#19 -N8, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  20. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,815) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah Society

One other question... how did you get into contact with the BKKeller guys? And did you convince them give you a personal tour? I'd love to meet them and get that tour, too. Well, after my 2nd tour of Faust in April ;-) I live in FFM, very nearby to them, and they're in Michelstadt im Odenwald if I remember correctly, only a 90 drive from here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.